ubuntu / xubuntu 12.04 (precise pangolin)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
johnnygal

Re: ubuntu / xubuntu 12.04 (precise pangolin)

Post by johnnygal »

Yep, cheers. That's got it!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

roobarb! wrote: Interestingly, with vaapi on and vaapi off, the video is automatically scaled to the correct dimensions to fit the screen. This doesn't happen on the base images - the scale remains 1:1 and only the central 800x480 pixels are displayed. Don't know if that helps at all, but thought I'd mention it all the same. :)
which "desktop" btw on the base image did you install ? the "size" could just be down to the window manager i guess. specify "-fs" and it will scale nicely to the screen.

I just tested with my base image - just did "sudo apt-get install --no-install-depends lubuntu-desktop; sudo apt-get install mplayer" and mplayer worked ok with vaapi acceleration.

perhaps some library is missing - although the dependencies should take care of it (its possible something can be missed though.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:roobarb: precise uses a conf.d to split the alsa conf up, so you need to disable this config to get sound on precise. shame the "pulse" compatibility is gone - was that a regression in port audio or something ?
Must have been - there aren't enough changes in the SqueezePlay code to have caused it.

They've shifted all of their development over to Git now, so once I've updated my build environment I'll give it another run. Maybe try with some of the older PortAudio code, too.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:
roobarb! wrote: Interestingly, with vaapi on and vaapi off, the video is automatically scaled to the correct dimensions to fit the screen. This doesn't happen on the base images - the scale remains 1:1 and only the central 800x480 pixels are displayed. Don't know if that helps at all, but thought I'd mention it all the same. :)
which "desktop" btw on the base image did you install ? the "size" could just be down to the window manager i guess. specify "-fs" and it will scale nicely to the screen.

I just tested with my base image - just did "sudo apt-get install --no-install-depends lubuntu-desktop; sudo apt-get install mplayer" and mplayer worked ok with vaapi acceleration.

perhaps some library is missing - although the dependencies should take care of it (its possible something can be missed though.
Ah, I'm not using a desktop environment - just firing up X with xterm and using the dependencies from the mplayer package.

I'll have a toy around, see if I can find what's missing.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

probably some mesa / dri stuff - check output of "vainfo" also. it's possible I need to add some dependencies to the joggler drivers. Ideally I need a package with the x config in that could pull in other stuff. I just never got around to it.
roobarb!

ubuntu / xubuntu 12.04 (precise pangolin)

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:probably some mesa / dri stuff - check output of "vainfo" also.
Thanks, will do. Had to abandon attempts today, but will try again tomorrow.
kappa__2

Post by kappa__2 »

Does anybody has trouble booting this version? I't flickers and hangs after passing the grub menu, on my joggler. :(
I've tried both the base and the ubuntu image.

I had no trouble booting previous versions... (they still work >> so it's not hardware)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

:/ ill remove a couple of modules from grub which could be problematic and send you a replacement to try
kappa__2

Post by kappa__2 »

BuZz wrote::/ ill remove a couple of modules from grub which could be problematic and send you a replacement to try
I appreciate your effort and... the super fast response! :D
Thanks
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

response was quick but I may not have the build ready until later. in the meantime you can replace the grub.efi on the first partition with this one http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/joggler/grub.efi (which is the older one and I have just tested it works as a drop in)
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

kappa__2 wrote:Does anybody has trouble booting this version? I't flickers and hangs after passing the grub menu, on my joggler. :(
I've tried both the base and the ubuntu image.

I had no trouble booting previous versions... (they still work >> so it's not hardware)

Working ok here..with Xubuntu btrfs version.
kappa__2

Post by kappa__2 »

BuZz wrote:response was quick but I may not have the build ready until later. in the meantime you can replace the grub.efi on the first partition with this one http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/joggler/grub.efi (which is the older one and I have just tested it works as a drop in)
Ok. I'll try it when i'll get home, and post the results here.
kappa__2

Post by kappa__2 »

kappa__2 wrote:
BuZz wrote:response was quick but I may not have the build ready until later. in the meantime you can replace the grub.efi on the first partition with this one http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/joggler/grub.efi (which is the older one and I have just tested it works as a drop in)
Ok. I'll try it when i'll get home, and post the results here.
Works great! :D
Thanks again BuZz!
kazan

Post by kazan »

Hello,

Thanks for all your hard work.
I just wanted to test xubuntu and I can confirm I've got same problem with on screen keyboard like someone earlier. Then I've add thermal.psv=85 to grub.cfg and that didn't help at all.
Other problem which I've noticed is I've used on screen short cut to install squeezeplay and accepted "Auto start" at the end. Now when system starts I've got crash report strait away and squeezeplay doesn't start on start up.

|Kazan|
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:what do you do about the joggler getting warm and slowing down or you dont have that problem running mostly squeezeplay ? just that the older releases didnt know about tweaking throttling thermal point etc - although they are probably changable in the same way as mine.
Just spotted this, BuZz - to be honest, there's not that much demand from SqueezePlay that the throttling really becomes an issue. However, on all the kernel builds I do (with your patches!) I always set the trip point to 80 degrees and put a warning on the download page. I've run it like that on so many Jogglers for such long periods of time now that I'd be amazed if it ever caused a problem.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:probably some mesa / dri stuff - check output of "vainfo" also.
Just had a try of vainfo. Got this for my troubles:

Code: Select all

joggler@joggler:~$ vainfo 
libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
vainfo: dri2_util.c:176: isDRI2Connected: Assertion `dri_state->fd >= 0' failed.
Aborted
Well, at least it's consistent. ;)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Ah, here we go. Running as root gets further, so perhaps a permissions problem?

joggler@joggler:~$ sudo vainfo
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/emgd_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns -1
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit
It's not wrong, though - there's no emgd_drv_video.so in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/. Tried adding 'joggler' to the 'video' group too, no beans either way. Still the same old error:

joggler@joggler:~$ vainfo 
vainfo: dri2_util.c:176: isDRI2Connected: Assertion `dri_state->fd >= 0' failed.
Aborted
Running mplayer as root on a video file results in the weird situation where the crash has gone, but the file plays without video:

joggler@joggler:~$ sudo mplayer -va vaapi -vo vaapi /mnt/big_buck_bunny_480p_h264.mov 
MPlayer svn r (Ubuntu), built with gcc-4.6 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing /mnt/big_buck_bunny_480p_h264.mov.
libavformat version 53.22.0 (internal)
libavformat file format detected.
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x89957a0]Unknown container channel layout.
[lavf] stream 0: video (h264), -vid 0
[lavf] stream 2: audio (aac), -aid 0, -alang eng
VIDEO:  [H264]  854x480  24bpp  24.000 fps  2899.9 kbps (354.0 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
 major_brand: qt  
 minor_version: 537199360
 compatible_brands: qt  
 creation_time: 2008-05-27 18:32:32
Load subtitles in /mnt/
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/emgd_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns -1
[vo_vaapi] vaInitialize(): unknown libva error
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
libavcodec version 53.39.1 (internal)
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 6 ch, s16le, 437.6 kbit/9.50% (ratio: 54700->576000)
Selected audio codec: [ffaac] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio))
==========================================================================
Home directory /home/joggler not ours.
AO: [pulse] Init failed: Connection refused
Failed to initialize audio driver 'pulse'
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch floatle (4 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A:  10.1 (10.1) of 596.5 (09:56.4)  4.4% 

Exiting... (Quit)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

the latest xorg-emgd makes a symlink from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/ (because I made it do that), so that is strange. best thing, image up what you have and ill tell you what is missing.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

did you try doing apt-get install --no-install-recommends lubuntu-desktop just to see? it installs a very minimal setup. would help with working out depends.
kappa__2

Post by kappa__2 »

I'm tempted to try the KDE plasma-mobile desktop manager, using your base version. It seems to be very finger friendly.
But i wonder why this is not mentioned here. :roll:

You guys think that the joggler can run it?