SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
johnkg

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by johnkg »

Dammit, edited an asound.conf from another thread to look like this (changed card 0 to card 1):

pcm.!default {
type plug;
slave.pcm "dmix0";
}

ctl.!default {
type hw;
card 1;
}
pcm.dsp0 {
type plug;
slave.pcm "dmix0";
}
ctl.dsp0 {
type hw;
card 1;
}
ctl.mixer0 {
type hw;
card 1;
}
pcm.dmix0 {
type dmix;
ipc_key 13759;

slave.pcm "hw:0,0";
slave.channels 2;

slave.rate 48000;
slave.period_size 4096;
slave.buffer_size 16384;

slave.period_time 84000;
slave.buffer_time 340000;

bindings.0 0;
bindings.1 1;

trying to use pscp to xfer the file over and get this:

C:\Users\John>pscp d:/asound.conf joggler@192.168.1.112:/etc
joggler@192.168.1.112's password:
pscp: unable to open /etc/asound.conf: permission denied

Hmmm.... unix is not my forte!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

the joggler user wont have write permission to /etc

copy it to joggler home dir and ssh in and move it to /etc as root

Code: Select all

pscp d:/asound.conf joggler@192.168.1.112:~/
then run putty etc and connect to joggler. once logged in

sudo mv ~/asound.conf /etc/
johnkg

Post by johnkg »

Thanks Buzz, will try out later!
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

I did the mod to get spdif digital audio out of my joggler, as described in this wiki page:
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Internal_SPDIF_output

I then connected the spdif output to a DAC. Unfortunately I got no sound at all.
A digital signal can be observed on the oscilloscope, of about 1V peak-to-peak. Wave form is quite good.
The DAC locks the sync all the time (the "lock" indicator is always on), whether the joggler is playing or not. And no sound.
I used the following asound.conf, which I created for the occasion, as it was missing in the "out of the box" configuration of Squeezeplay OS:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm {
type hw
card 0
device 1
}
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 1
}

With this asound.conf file the internal speakers do not work (as expected). Removing the asound.conf file, the internal speakers work again and, strangely enough, the DAC locks the sync all the time, as it does with the above asound.conf file in place.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

papaiannis wrote:I did the mod to get spdif digital audio out of my joggler, as described in this wiki page:
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Internal_SPDIF_output
You've double-posted and I think the hardware mod thread is the best place for this, as I don't plan on making the mod myself, so have no means of testing!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Right, a new version has been wheeled out!

Before you ask, no, I'm afraid it won't install itself onto the internal flash yet. However, all the operating system components to do this are now included. I do still plan to build an installer for it, although I'll be away from the computer next week; so unless it's finished tomorrow, it'll be a couple of weeks.

New in this version:
  • New kernel; 3.2.18jog1. Changed naming convention to differentiate from BuZz's kernels.
  • Rebuilt using X.org 1.9 from Maverick repos, as components were removed from the xorg-edgers PPA.
  • Removed openssh-client, which is now installed alongside other openssh components to keep matching versions.
  • SqueezePlay v147-7.7.2-9704.
Enjoy!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
guidows

Post by guidows »

ok, ssh server installed with user: joggler, password: joggler
but which is the root password?

Guido

ps: autoresponse: sudo passwd resolves the problem.
ps2: installed in the joggler flash with no problem (using dd). Thanks!!!
gegs

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:*]Removed openssh-client, which is now installed alongside other openssh components to keep matching versions.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I couldn't connect using SHH (to install the USB sound asound.conf file). Connection refused every time. I then tried to install the SSH client from Settings > Advanced but then the Joggler tries to reboot and then sticks at the O2 logo against black.

I had 1.01 running fine and it was great; rock solid and very nippy.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:
roobarb! wrote:*]Removed openssh-client, which is now installed alongside other openssh components to keep matching versions.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I couldn't connect using SHH (to install the USB sound asound.conf file). Connection refused every time. I then tried to install the SSH client from Settings > Advanced but then the Joggler tries to reboot and then sticks at the O2 logo against black.

I had 1.01 running fine and it was great; rock solid and very nippy.
I'll check that out next time I'm near a Joggler - very little changed with the SSH install, so it seems odd that it would be causing issues.

If you can plug in your stick to a Linux system and read the sqp-root/home/joggler/.squeezeplay/additional.log file, that will tell you exactly what's going on.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I've gone back to 1.01 for the time being, which works brilliantly, so I've scrubbed over the log file unfortunately. I'll try version 1.03 on another stick some time over the weekend and report back.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:I've gone back to 1.01 for the time being, which works brilliantly, so I've scrubbed over the log file unfortunately. I'll try version 1.03 on another stick some time over the weekend and report back.
Cheers, gegs - let me know how you get on.

If anyone else has issues, the previous version is still online - just replace the '3' with a '1' in the download path. Well, you could, but the server seems to be having an off morning. :) Hopefully be back soon.
gegs

Post by gegs »

As with so many other things, this appears to be a USB stick related problem. The one I used previously was an HPv165w which has served me well in the past and, strangely, works with version 1.01.

I tried 1.03 on a 16GB Kingston DataTraveller G2 and it installed the SSH service faultlessly and rebooted as it should.

It didn't occur to me that a stick that worked with one version would fail on another. It wasn't a random corrupt image write either because I formatted and rewrote the 1.03 image on the HP stick half a dozen times and it wouldn't boot into Squeezeplay after installing the SSH service on every occasion.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Just a thought:

Since SqueezePlay OS has apt-get functionality, would we be able to install Mplayer (using 'sudo apt-get install mplayer-nogui') and LMS? I realise that I'd probably need to increase the partition size with Gparted.

If they could be installed it would mean support for WMA streams, currently not possible with the PnP III version of Squeezeplay due to the lack of Mplayer.
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

Hi gegs,
yes, your guess is right. This is what I have done:
First, I copied the last release of SqueezePlay OS (thanks, roobarb!) onto a 4 GByte USB stick and used gparted to extend the partition to maximum. Then I installed mplayer (sudo apt-get mplayer). Wma streams now play well, though it takes a few seconds for playing to start.

I also installed Logitech Media Player (downloaded the debian package from mysqueezebox.com and used dpkg to install). It works very well, without affecting performances.

On the wave of enthusiasm, I decapped the USB stick and installed it inside the joggler by connecting it as described in the joggler wiki page (http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Additional_USB_Ports). The joggler automatically boots from the internally added USB unit. This way I can use the USB port on the joggler to connect an external USB HDD, which I use as a music source for LMS. For some reasons the USB HDD is not auto-mounted at boot, and must be explicitly mounted by adding a line to /etc/fstab or to /etc/rc.local.

Finally, I installed samba (sudo apt-get samba). This way I am able to add new media files to the USB HDD from a PC.

Have fun!
Alekos
Last edited by papaiannis on Mon May 28, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:Just a thought:

Since SqueezePlay OS has apt-get functionality, would we be able to install Mplayer (using 'sudo apt-get install mplayer-nogui') and LMS? I realise that I'd probably need to increase the partition size with Gparted.

If they could be installed it would mean support for WMA streams, currently not possible with the PnP III version of Squeezeplay due to the lack of Mplayer.
Yep, absolutely!
gegs

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:
gegs wrote:Just a thought:

Yep, absolutely!
If nobody else beats me to it, I'll give it a go over the next week or so and report back.
gegs

Post by gegs »

The suggested command in LMS to install MPlayer - 'sudo apt-get install mplayer-nogui' - throws an error when I try to install on the Joggler - 'Invalid operation mplayer-nogui'

Any idea how to remedy this?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:The suggested command in LMS to install MPlayer - 'sudo apt-get install mplayer-nogui' - throws an error when I try to install on the Joggler - 'Invalid operation mplayer-nogui'

Any idea how to remedy this?
You sure you didn't just type 'apt-get mplayer-nogui'? I know:

sudo apt-get install mplayer
...works. Not sure about the -nogui variant.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I definitely used sudo. It was a complete copy and paste job from the WMA plugin page in LMS. I'll give the mplayer option a try tomorrow.

Any idea what the correct package name would be for LMS?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

roobbarb wasn't actually referring to the sudo but the lack of the command "install" - "Invalid operation mplayer-nogui" happens as roobarb said - if you forget to use "install" "remove" or one of the apt-get commands.