SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
JimbobVFR400

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Mines been running 24/7 for well over a year with sqpos. No problems yet. Plus mine acts as my server for other SB devices (a couple of Jogglers and a handful of android devices too)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

z4ck wrote:Is there any exp with overheating ? I would like to use my Joggler with this amazing OS as an alarm-clock and to stream audiobooks in my bedroom. Should I turn it off in the morning or is there no problem running the whole day.
Ignoring the development ones (!) the two I actually use every day have now been running constantly for about three years - no problems whatsoever. There's really no need to worry about overheating. If you leave the screen switched on then they do use more power, so I'd just set a screen timeout delay in the Settings.

That's unless you would like the display on the whole time, of course - I did use one as a clock for a while.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Elmar

Sharing my approach to automatic backlight

Post by Elmar »

Hi,

First of all: Thank you Roobarb!!
The Joggler turns out to be a superb squeezebox replacement, thanks to your hard work.

I have taken the liberty to modify the automatic backlight script to serve my specific needs. Maybe it's usefull for some of you. If anyone feels the need to put this in a nice plug-in... feel free ;-) Most of the parameters i used are hard-coded, sorry. You can always adjust them in the script itself. I'm not a programmer, so the code could probably be neater.

The modification include:
- Using a min and max backlight %
- Calculating the desired backlight from sensor data, so the amount of backlight corresponds more closely to the amount of ambient light (eg. daylight sensor reading of 150 translates into 25% backlight)
- The screen will switch of if the room is dark (at night, with lights of) and back on again if it gets light.

Look up the first and the last (comment) line from the code below in /opt/squeezeplay/bin/sqp_JogglerBacklight.sh. These lines are from the original code, so you need to replace the part in between ;-)

Code: Select all

## If we're in automatic mode, run a monitoring loop.[/b]
	if [ "$1" -eq "999" ]; then

# Ignore any current bl value en sensor reading. Just let the following loop set a new backlight value at first run.
	LASTSENS=0

# This is going to run 'forever', to monitor ambient light and adjust the backlight if needed
	while true
	do
		LIGHT=`readlightsensor`
		#
        DELTASENS=$(($LASTSENS-$LIGHT))
		if [ "$DELTASENS" -lt "0" ]; then
			DELTASENS=$(($DELTASENS*-1))
		fi

# Switch off display completely if the room is dark. Switch back on if two readings confirm it's light again.
		if [ "$LIGHT" -le "3" ]; then
			xset -display :0.0 dpms force off
			while [ "$LIGHT" -le 6 ] || $WASDARK;
			do
				if [ "$LIGHT" -le 6 ]; then
					WASDARK=true
				else
					WASDARK=false
				fi
				sleep 4 
				LIGHT=`readlightsensor`
			done
			xset -display :0.0 dpms force on
			xset -display :0.0 s reset
			fi

# To prevent 'bouncing', only adjust backlight if the sensor-data differs enough from the last time the backlight was adjusted.
            if [ "$DELTASENS" -ge "3" ]; then

# Convert sensor reading to a more sensible background value. Sensor values can go much higher than percentage backlight.
                TARGETLIGHT=$(( $LIGHT/6 ))

# Cap brighness at a max value of 40% 
                if [ "$TARGETLIGHT" -ge "40" ]; then
                    TARGETLIGHT=40
                fi

# Make 10% the min brightness
                if [ "$TARGETLIGHT" -lt "10" ]; then
                    TARGETLIGHT=10
                fi

if [ "$2" = "debug" 2>/dev/null ]; then
                    echo "Current Mode is:       $MODE"
                    echo "Light sensor reads:    $LIGHT"
                    echo "Backlight % should be: $TARGETLIGHT"
                    echo "Previous sensordata: $LASTSENS"
                    echo "Sensor delta %:     $DELTASENS"
                    echo
                fi

if [ "$2" = "debug" 2>/dev/null ]; then
                    echo "Altering to: $PREFBL"
                    echo
                    setbl $TARGETLIGHT debug
                else
                    setbl $TARGETLIGHT
                fi

# Only keep last sensor value if it was used to adjust the backlight.
                LASTSENS="$LIGHT"
            fi
	sleep 2

done

## If we're given an '888', write out the current backlight [/b]
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

Quick question - probably a dumb one, sorry! - I'm running SqueezeboxOS on two jogglers, all working well except LMS doesn't seem to want to see the external harddrive attached to the joggler it's on. I thought it would be because the USB powered hdd needed more power than the joggler was providing, so I've replaced it with one that has its own power supply, but I still can't see it when I go into the LMS settings screen in my browser and search through all the files. I thought the HDD would be auto mounted in this version of SqueezeboxOS? Is there a specific format the HDD needs to be in? Any help appreciated :-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

FyodorNinian wrote:Quick question - probably a dumb one, sorry! - I'm running SqueezeboxOS on two jogglers, all working well except LMS doesn't seem to want to see the external harddrive attached to the joggler it's on. I thought it would be because the USB powered hdd needed more power than the joggler was providing, so I've replaced it with one that has its own power supply, but I still can't see it when I go into the LMS settings screen in my browser and search through all the files. I thought the HDD would be auto mounted in this version of SqueezeboxOS? Is there a specific format the HDD needs to be in? Any help appreciated :-)
It should appear in /media/usb[0-7] - FAT formatted is probably easiest.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

roobarb! wrote:
FyodorNinian wrote:Quick question - probably a dumb one, sorry! - I'm running SqueezeboxOS on two jogglers, all working well except LMS doesn't seem to want to see the external harddrive attached to the joggler it's on. I thought it would be because the USB powered hdd needed more power than the joggler was providing, so I've replaced it with one that has its own power supply, but I still can't see it when I go into the LMS settings screen in my browser and search through all the files. I thought the HDD would be auto mounted in this version of SqueezeboxOS? Is there a specific format the HDD needs to be in? Any help appreciated :-)
It should appear in /media/usb[0-7] - FAT formatted is probably easiest.
Thanks for the reply. That's where I looked, but the HDD isn't there. I think I formatted it as NTFS, so I'll reformat as FAT this evening and try again.
gegs

Post by gegs »

FyodorNinian wrote:I think I formatted it as NTFS, so I'll reformat as FAT this evening and try again.
I always format my portable drives as FAT32 because it's better supported across Windows/Mac/Linux boxes. My reasoning is ... what's the point of formatting a portable drive with a filesystem that makes it less portable?

I'm not sure if your drive "that has its own power supply" is a portable or desktop model, but I'm sure you get my drift about cross-platform compatibility.
chris

Post by chris »

I just changed from internal to external audio, rebooted, and now I'm stuck in a boot loop. Tried booting without anything connected and it still happens. I'll try booting from USB tomorrow to see if it makes any difference. Anyone else ever experience this though?

edit: I've been using the SQPOS internal, tried booting from a USB stick and am experiencing the same thing, i.e., it flashes between a squeezeplay and an openpeak logo. I narrowed it down to being an issue with my DAC (Schiit Modi) so I posted over in the 24/96 sqpos and external dac thread.
chris

Post by chris »

So it turns out that my DAC is plug-and-play starting only with 13.04. Where would I start if I wanted to upgrade SQPOS to 13.04? I'm assuming a "do-release-upgrade -d" wouldn't work, and would take ages to find out.

I have a LOT of free time so I'm hoping if I can at least be pointed in the right direction I might be able to get it working. I've been running ubuntu on my laptop since 2004 and am familiar with command line and can install a kernel (just never compiled my own) so I feel like I at least have some sort of understanding/start.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

chris wrote:So it turns out that my DAC is plug-and-play starting only with 13.04. Where would I start if I wanted to upgrade SQPOS to 13.04? I'm assuming a "do-release-upgrade -d" wouldn't work, and would take ages to find out.
Can you find out why it's supported in 13.04 and not in earlier versions? I'm guessing it's a kernel driver rather than anything specific to Ubuntu 13.04.
chris

Post by chris »

roobarb! wrote: Can you find out why it's supported in 13.04 and not in earlier versions? I'm guessing it's a kernel driver rather than anything specific to Ubuntu 13.04.
My current internet digging has only left me with a quote saying the new kernel has better audio support... Where would I start looking to see if it's a kernel driver, and what would be my remedy? A patch to the current kernel? Right now I'm using the one you posted recently.

The DAC shows up when plugged in after a boot but when I tried using aplay to use it I got some HW error (which led me to the kernel driver quote)

The manufacturer only says that it's plug-and-play with 13.04 and had nothing to say for prior releases.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

chris wrote:
roobarb! wrote: Can you find out why it's supported in 13.04 and not in earlier versions? I'm guessing it's a kernel driver rather than anything specific to Ubuntu 13.04.
My current internet digging has only left me with a quote saying the new kernel has better audio support... Where would I start looking to see if it's a kernel driver, and what would be my remedy? A patch to the current kernel? Right now I'm using the one you posted recently.

The DAC shows up when plugged in after a boot but when I tried using aplay to use it I got some HW error (which led me to the kernel driver quote)

The manufacturer only says that it's plug-and-play with 13.04 and had nothing to say for prior releases.
Ubuntu 13.04 uses the 3.8 kernel. At the moment we're using 3.2 on the Joggler, though people have successfully patched and compiled later versions.

I was thinking of having a look at this again and kernel 3.10 is a longterm release, so it might be worth a punt. :)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:
chris wrote:
My current internet digging has only left me with a quote saying the new kernel has better audio support...
I was thinking of having a look at this again and kernel 3.10 is a longterm release, so it might be worth a punt. :)
Well, 3.10.15 has compiled. It's not quite right though; needs some tweaking - I'm messing around with the stuff I made from BuZz's work and twiddling pkirchhofer's patches into it. I'll not mention it again here though - this is definitely one for the Linux Kernel thread.
castalla

Post by castalla »

I want to set a wifi STATIC address: is the following code appropriate (with details for my system):

Code: Select all

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.1.xxx
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
wpa-ssid mynetwork
wpa-psk 0123456789

dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8
Should I also modify the resolv.conf file?
castalla

Post by castalla »

Just confirming that the above code works - modified the resolv.conf file to change the dns nameservers.

May be useful for others.
trs79

Post by trs79 »

Firstly, thanks for making this available. I'm running squeezeplay on top of linux mint, but noticed there is a lag between when I touch something (like internet radio, etc) and when the response happens. The lag seems less when clicking on the back arrow. Has anyone else noticed this?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I need to re-create my usb. I was going to use my backup but it's an older version (there have been 2 updates since). I've read the changelog - are any of the improvements significant to it's performance? Should I start from scratch? TIA.
Commodore.White

SqueezePlay OS for Joggler on external HDD

Post by Commodore.White »

My Joggler has an old os and pmj on it. I'm planning on using raspberry pi squeeze box players so I thought I'd repurpose my Joggler as a media server using LMS. Doing so precludes installing SqueezePlay OS internally.

I'm quite happy with the audio quality I get plugging the Joggler into my denon hifi so no need for a DAC.

To reduce clutter I'd like to install SqueezePlay on a 1Tb powered desktop hard drive. My guess is i install as thought the drive was a USB stick. But what then? Do I simply repartition the drive by adding a FAT partition and copying my media to it having first installed LMS. What have I missed? The question has probably been asked before but I couldn't find it using search.

Is the Joggler gutsy enough to serve up video too to xbmc on my Apple TV . If so, should I be thinking of a different approach?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Commodore.White

SqueezePlay OS for Joggler on external HDD

Post by Commodore.White »

Hmmm, sorry about the previous post. My search would have been more fruitful had I searched for "HDD" rather than "HHD". I'd still be interested in streaming video from my Joggler though. Good night.

Ilovemyjoggler: thanks that was the post I found when I used the correct search terms. Kit arrived in the post today to build three picoreplayers - really looking forward to playing this weekend.