SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by gegs »

If anyone's allowed to go off-topic it's you, because it's your thread. ;)

To be fair though it's not as off-topic as it may seem because I'd like to use the Pi as the server for two Jogglers. My kitchen Joggler uses the PnP version of Squeezeplay (because my wife loves the weather and iPlayer apps and my kids love Youtube) and the one in the lounge runs Squeezeplay OS and plays through my hi-fi.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

roobarb! wrote:
dwl99 wrote:Thanks guys, and sorry for going off-topic :-)
Sorry for continuing off-topic for one more post, but I thought this might interest the Raspberry Pi guys. It's how to build a Squeezelite-powered Pi device, with some speedy instructions on what to install on your Pi to make it work.
OMG - that guy took things too far!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Just wanted to say thanks for this guide. Just set my bedside sqpOSto read the 1TB HD I have attached to the Linksys x3000 which has media sharing built it. I set up an additional user in the sharing section of the router interface first. Now scanning!
JimbobVFR400 wrote:Well depending on how much music you have you could even have your tunes on the USB stick I suppose. Although Mounting the music on my NAS was relatively simple

First of all Use Putty or similar to SSH or Telnet into your joggler

Code: Select all

cd /mnt
mkdir Music
This creates a folder we will be mounting your network share in (you may need to add sudo infront of the mkdir command, I can't remember

then:

sudo nano /etc/fstab
This opens the fstab file for editing
I added the following line at the end of my file

//192.168.1.5/music /mnt/music cifs username=jimbob,password=MYPASSWORD,_netdev 0 0
In my case my NAS has a share called music and a fixed IP address on my network of 192.168.1.5 (alternatively you could reserve the IP address in your router, as long as its the same everytime.
The _netdev on the end is to make sure the network connection on the Joggler is available before mounting, otherwise it can fail if there's no network connection.

The you reboot the joggler and use the web interface for LMS by going to [joggler IP]:9000 and set your music directory to be /mnt/music

Hope that makes sense
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

You're welcome Dave but I still think you're in credit on the thanks for your work on PNP3 :-)
thomashenry

Post by thomashenry »

Hi All

I have a Joggler in the post and intend to install Squeezeplay OS on it and use it as a dedicated wall mount controller for my existing SB system. Is is possible to configure the Squeezeplay to act as a controller only and to not appear to the server as a player?

Cheers
Tom
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

No it isn't. Triode on the slimserver forums has made an app called jivelite which is basically squeezeplay without the player part, so if you could get that working it should do the trick.

TBH I'm not sure the joggler appearing as a player would justify the effort.
thomashenry

Post by thomashenry »

No, it's only a minor thing that would be nice, in order to avoid any confusion when using other controllers such as iPeng.
thomashenry

Post by thomashenry »

No, it's only a minor thing that would be nice, in order to avoid any confusion when using other controllers such as iPeng.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Thought so but it shouldn't be an issue if you rename the players as appropriate.

The only small think when using the joggler to control other players is you can't use the funky eq meters. You could remove the speakers when you install it in the wall and sync the joggler with your player to get these working. Small point I know but I just like the VU meter display :-)
pashuchen

Post by pashuchen »

I'm a Joggler user of china .
I try to use SqueezePlay OS for Joggler,but it don't support china-ZN“Chinese characters”。
And how can I make your system support china-ZN“Chinese characters”?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pashuchen wrote:I'm a Joggler user of china .
I try to use SqueezePlay OS for Joggler,but it don't support china-ZN“Chinese characters”。
To keep the UI as slim as possible, there's not much in the way of internationalisation installed. This is far from my area of expertise, so the best place to look for instructions will be on the Ubuntu site (as sqpOS is basically just a slim version of Ubuntu 10.04).

Here's the locale page, which might be a starting point.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pashuchen

Post by pashuchen »

roobarb! wrote:
pashuchen wrote:I'm a Joggler user of china .
To keep the UI as slim as possible, there's not much in the way of internationalisation installed. This is far from my area of expertise, so the best place to look for instructions will be on the Ubuntu site (as sqpOS is basically just a slim version of Ubuntu 10.04).

Here's the locale page, which might be a starting point.
thank's for your answer。
I'll try to learning use SQPos.
Can you tell me how to add the country area into the LANGUAGE list?
Because I try the way you said:locale page
I reboot the JOGGLER ,it's locale chang to LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8.
But it display the filename still be ????.APE.
Is that I lost to do something,like :add the *.TTF file into the "joggler".
Thanks alot.
gegs

Post by gegs »

@ pashuchen

According to this page - http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/T ... _and_Touch - Chinese, Japanese and Korean fonts can be installed by using the third party "Font Replacer" addon.

The image below from this page - http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/F ... -radio.png - shows a Japanese radio station.

pashuchen

Post by pashuchen »

gegs wrote:@ pashuchen

According to this page - http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/T ... _and_Touch - Chinese, Japanese and Korean fonts can be installed by using the third party "Font Replacer" addon.

The image below from this page - http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/F ... -radio.png - shows a Japanese radio station.

Thank you very much.
I 'll try it.
It just with a problem,When the file is named by Chinese characters ->My music->music folder->USB->????.APE.
It make alot of problem.like the filename is same to be the server mean it's a same song.
If I made the filename with english or number in difference, the server system just show all the file in the playlist.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Good luck and let the forum know if Font Replacer works for you. It will help other Chinese visitors to the forum.

I think it's true that most forum members are English speaking (or at least speak languages with Latin characters) and it would be great if you could help fill this gap in our knowledge.
pashuchen

Post by pashuchen »

gegs wrote:Good luck and let the forum know if Font Replacer works for you. It will help other Chinese visitors to the forum.

I think it's true that most forum members are English speaking (or at least speak languages with Latin characters) and it would be great if you could help fill this gap in our knowledge.

Thank's for you helps.
The SQPos -->my music-->play music's interface display Chinese/Japanese/Korean,
I use the way is in this page :http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=629
To change the software's fonts.
So it could be display Chinese/Japanese/Korean.
But in the system ,I can do nothing to made the system display the chinese.
Although I try to made the system's locale chang to LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8.
Could I to chang the system font's files?
gegs

Post by gegs »

pashuchen wrote:Although I try to made the system's locale chang to LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8.
Could I to chang the system font's files?
The web page below has instructions for changing the locale in Ubuntu:

http://blog.andrewbeacock.com/2007/01/h ... le-on.html

I think this might work for Squeezeplay OS because it is based on Ubuntu, but the page is fairly old now. Roobarb, BuZz or someone with better linux skills than me might confirm if this works. The page is written for someone who is trying to change from UTF-8 to ISO characters but the same method should work for any locale, if you know what it is called.

It looks like Chinese might not be in your list of locales. You might need to add it to the list and run the sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales script. Don't use sudo if you are logged in as root. Then you need to change the default locale to Chinese. The web page linked to above gives instructions but you can ask for help on this forum if you get stuck.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Looks good - it should work!

On a side note, I've been testing AirPlay with iOS 6.1.3 and it's much, much better than it was before. Jogglers are appearing quickly again. No idea what they changed, but it's for the better.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:Looks good - it should work!

On a side note, I've been testing AirPlay with iOS 6.1.3 and it's much, much better than it was before. Jogglers are appearing quickly again. No idea what they changed, but it's for the better.
Although I wouldn't update to iOS 6.1.3 if you've got a jailbroken ATV2 or iPad (you naughty people).
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I need to tweak the buffer settings ever so slightly for AirPlay on sqpOS - there's a small mismatch between it and the official Apple products, meaning the Apple TV (and, I assume, the AirPort Express) plays the audio ever so slightly early...