SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

asm495 wrote:Installed this on 2 Jogglers this evening and I have to say it is fantastic. Great work!
Great - glad it's working for you!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Just a quick update - I've come up with a reasonable way of copying sqpOS to the internal memory. The copying process is reliable, but I'm in the process of testing how the internal memory holds up.

I've had some variable results with reliability, mind - so as has been said on these forums before, the 'best' way to run an alternative OS is probably from a USB stick. The internal memory can be oddly flaky at times (or at least it can be on the two test Jogglers I have).

That said, I'll stick with it - there's undoubtably someone out there who'll be able to make use of it. :)

EDIT: Yup, these internal memory chips really are prone to flaking out. I've been running this one on test for a bit and now I'm getting I/O errors when rebalancing Btrfs. You have been warned!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Fursty Ferret

Post by Fursty Ferret »

Hey roobarb,

What's actually being written to the Flash storage that's different to the customised Ubuntu build that OpenPeak uses? Presumably it's possible to mount the temporary storage as a RAM drive?

Cheers,

Dave.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Fursty Ferret wrote:What's actually being written to the Flash storage that's different to the customised Ubuntu build that OpenPeak uses? Presumably it's possible to mount the temporary storage as a RAM drive?
Not much once it's booted, actually - a few log files, but not much else if you don't enable SSH and start toying around.

I've redone my test Joggler now and am using ext2 instead of Btrfs. It's much better, so it looks like my irritation should have been directed more properly towards the experimental filesystem, rather than the flash memory. :mrgreen:

Everything should fit comfortably on there (even uncompressed) - it's only if people start adding extras that free space might become an issue.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Great work on this Roobarb many thanks.

Is there a chance the latest version hasn't uploaded yet ? i tried it about 10 mins ago and 54mb downloaded and when unpacking it said the file was broken :(
I just tried again and it downloaded 84 mb but still said it was broken .
If it is still uploading its almost there if its not i am doing something wrong which is highly likely also .

Just checked again and the download size is now 103 mb ... it should be 180 so its almost there Roobarb.
Happy Joggling
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

hawsey wrote:Is there a chance the latest version hasn't uploaded yet ?
Version 1.03 has been redacted!

I'm having difficulties with the wireless driver. The kernel one works, but is unreliable. The vendor one kills everything with a kernel panic. Hmm. :(
andyf

Post by andyf »

Congratulations

I'm having problems with My Creative Labs External USB sound card with Squeezeplayer OS. It worked fine under Squeezeplayer on the Stock OS, but doesn't appear to under Squeezeplayer OS.

I've got both the boot USB stick and the Sound Device plugged into a USB hub - it boots fine but the sound device doesn't appear to be recognised - I select it in Squeezeplayer, restart as prompted, but the sound still comes from the internal speakers.

When it is working under the Stock OS, it's plugged in directly, not via a hub - could this be the problem, and if so, is there a workaround? Also, how is the progress on being able to install Squeeze OS onto the internal Flash? Maybe this would solve the problem as I could then plug the Sound Device in directly.

Andy.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

andyf wrote:I'm having problems with My Creative Labs External USB sound card with Squeezeplayer OS. It worked fine under Squeezeplayer on the Stock OS, but doesn't appear to under Squeezeplayer OS.
Could you install SSH, log in and post the output of:

cat /proc/asound/cards

And:

cat /etc/asound.conf

Make sure your audio device is connected at the time and the output should help identify the problem.
rebelrebelzs

Post by rebelrebelzs »

Hi Folks

I've just started using Squeezeplay on my Joggler and am well-impressed. As the proud owner of
a couple of Squeezebox Radios, I was chuffed to see how similar the interfaces are and set about
configuring and storing my favourite stations etc,

Just one minor query that I haven't resolved. When I've finished listening, I can select
"Turn Off SqueezePlay" which reverts the display to the large black Squeezebox Digital
clock (as you would expect and which is fine) However I can't seem to turn it back on
again other than by pressing the 'ghost' on/off button that appears in the top left corner
when you touch the screen anywhere. Unfortunately this has the effect of quitting
Squeezeplay altogether, meaning a re-launch to start using it again.

Am I missing something obvious?

Also occasionally when in the Squeezeplay clock/standby mode ths display sometimes goes
off completely leaving a blank/black screen, however a a touch of the screen does bring
back the Squeezeplay clock/standby screen

Any ideas? Thanks for any help

rebelrebelzs
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

I think this will be superb once you have finished your mods fella... I have two jogglers and want to use one as a squeezeplaer through a set of Bose Companion speakers. Not bothered about the rest of the apps on the machine. SP with the ability to default the library to a USB stick would be superb...

Good work...

J
andyf

Post by andyf »

Hi Roobarb,

As requested

cat /proc/asound/cards

0 [MID ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
HDA Intel MID at 0xd01c0000 irq 16
1 [Pro ]: USB-Audio - Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro
Creative Technology Ltd Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro at usb-0000:00:1d.7-4.3, ful

Strangely, I don't seem to have a /etc/asound.conf. Maybe that's the problem? It's a standard install from the image, I've not messed about with it.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

The lack of an asound.conf is almost certainly it, but where it would have gone I don't know! Try creating one with the contents discussed in this thread, using 'card 1' in place of 'card 0'.
andyf

Post by andyf »

Yep, that fixed it. Thanks for all the help. Am much preferring this implementation over squeeze on the stock os - the touch screen seems more responsive.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

rebelrebelzs wrote:I can't seem to turn it back on
again other than by pressing the 'ghost' on/off button that appears in the top left corner
when you touch the screen anywhere. Unfortunately this has the effect of quitting
Squeezeplay altogether, meaning a re-launch to start using it again.
I think this is a change made for PnP - the version that is installed via that method (rather than directly with my installer) makes some changes, and I seem to remember that being one of them.

I'm afraid I can't support versions installed with PnP, but they're all very friendly over there on that thread, so give them a try. :)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

andyf wrote:Yep, that fixed it. Thanks for all the help. Am much preferring this implementation over squeeze on the stock os - the touch screen seems more responsive.
Great stuff. I'll take a look at the code that deals with asound.conf next time I'm messing about in that area, see if there's anything that may have caused your vanishing file.
monkums

Post by monkums »

As my Joggler was running Squeezeplay 99% of the time this is a great fix for the new firmware. I've currently got it running from a usb stick but is there a way to install it as the native OS. I know it's been mentioned a few times but can seem to find any instructions.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

monkums wrote:As my Joggler was running Squeezeplay 99% of the time this is a great fix for the new firmware. I've currently got it running from a usb stick but is there a way to install it as the native OS. I know it's been mentioned a few times but can seem to find any instructions.
Not as yet. Just a few more things to iron out, then I can make a move to having it installable on the internal memory.

Please don't try at the moment - the kernel on the current release will not boot from the internal memory.
monkums

Post by monkums »

No problem. Looking forward to it.
Glenn2

Post by Glenn2 »

When using Squeezeplay on the native OS I found the following to work best.
It avoids dmix and will thus not resample everything to a fixed sample rate, but it will resample rates that your device doesn't support, so no chipmunks.
For example, my Dacmagic has LEDs to show the sample rate coming in, and it shows 44.1k and 48k material as playing at their native rates, but it plays lower sample-rate stations at either 44.1k or 48k, but still at the correct pitch.

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm {
     type hw
     card 1
   }
}
ctl.!default {
   type hw
   card 1
}
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Glenn2 wrote:When using Squeezeplay on the native OS I found the following to work best.
It avoids dmix and will thus not resample everything to a fixed sample rate, but it will resample rates that your device doesn't support, so no chipmunks.
For example, my Dacmagic has LEDs to show the sample rate coming in, and it shows 44.1k and 48k material as playing at their native rates, but it plays lower sample-rate stations at either 44.1k or 48k, but still at the correct pitch.

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm {
     type hw
     card 1
   }
}
ctl.!default {
   type hw
   card 1
}
This became the default setting in v1.43 and has been working perfectly for me. So long as you don't choose the mixer option in the Audio Settings menu, this is what you should have as your /etc/asound.conf.

Although, for obvious reasons, it defaults to 'card 0' rather than 'card 1'.