SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Adrian

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by Adrian »

Hi,
just bought a O2 Joggler and installed the SPdif output socket. Managed to have digital signal on Spdif socket with original Joggler sw.
After that moved to Squeezeplay OS from Roobarb running from USB stick, everything is fine but no digital signal on SPDIF output.
This is how it looks my asound.conf file now:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:0,1"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 4096
rate 44100
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}

ctl.dmixer {
type hw
card 0
}

What else to do or to check in order to make my digital output operational ?

I'm very beginner in Linux.

Thanks a lot,
Adrian
shadow1901

Post by shadow1901 »

Hi all

I've used my joggler with start over usb.
It works but I doesn't have sound on my internal speaker.
If I switch to external and do a restart, after the joggler is coming to loop by booting.

Any ideas?

I have the joggler with speakers in front "E7" Type

Regards shadow1901
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

shadow1901 wrote:I have the joggler with speakers in front "E7" Type
Ooh, you've got an OpenFrame 2!

Unfortunately, while a fancier piece of kit than the normal Joggler, the audio system is different and isn't supported by sqpOS. I have a couple of OF2 units as well, but haven't got around to sorting the audio out. Your best bet for the time being would be to use a USB audio device and install the operating system to the internal flash (though you would of course lose the original OS this way).
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

I concur with roobarb that the audio chip is different on the Openframe 2.0. Never really checked on the Openframe 1.0 though to see if it was the same one (tiny print on the chips).

Recently here moved one Openframe 1.0 to being a dedicated remote controlled SPer connecting it to my Russound Zoned system. I am using the analog audio output on it right now and did not install an SPdif connection.

That said I am not really sure if the audio chips are the same as the Openframe 2.0 or the same as the O2 Joggler.

This one has been running sans any direct interaction for about a week now. It does have the DECT / Zigbee chip in it but no CMOS battery or mini PCiE slot.

I did do all sorts of stuff to it with your base build roobarb before the SP stuff was running 24/7. The default sound chip is working fine. I did see the USB to DECT audio chip while playing with it.

The OS is on an 8Gb SSD USB stick such that I can take it off line and try the build / USB stick on the Openframe 2 box.

I have a second dedicated Openframe 1.0 device (actually a bunch of them today) on 24/7 running wintel with a USB to digital sound card on it. I am using VLC for the audio streaming on it via the digital audio card and it works fine. BUT that is totally different than what was done above.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
shadow1901

Post by shadow1901 »

Thank you for answer

So there isn't any solution without external USB?
Or somebody had installed an other version with squeezplayer for openframe 2?

Regards shadow1901
pete

Post by pete »

Yup.

I have noticed over the last couple of years most folks prefer not to hardware modify their Jogglers and use them as is typically booting alternative OS via a USB stick. That said I am not sure how many Joggler users have done the modification you write of.

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Internal_SPDIF_output

Personally here play more with the hardware and have pieces of the O2, Openframe 1.0 and Openframe 2.0 devices all over my workbench as it keeps me busy sometimes to play with this stuff. I like to tinker with this stuff.

I have sort of moved from playing with the original O2 Joggler now to more stuff relating to the Openframe 1.0 and Openframe 2.0 Joggler.

Openframe 1.0 is the easiest to play with because it's easy to take apart. That said the motherboard design and addition DECT / Zigbee chips makes for an interesting tabletop touch screen device. Today I have some > 10 of these devices running with SSD ZIF drives doing automation stuff and working well. I kept it simple though with only a couple of modifications. I do have a running Ubuntu build on this device with working audio. I can use my automation console touchscreen design in Ubuntu, Wintel and Android. They are identical. I like the Ubuntu version but I am also into TTS and utilize a variety of voice fonts that only exists in the wintel world.

Openframe 2.0 is a bit more difficult to play with. This is mostly relating to opening the device up to get inside of it. That said the design of the motherboard is similiar than that of the Openframe 1.0 devices and different. IE: it has a 2Gb flash chip on it but a soldered EFI boot flash on it.
What makes it a bit nicer is that it also includes a mini-pcie card slot. The stock one is a combo wireless and bluetooth module. This one also includes the DECT chip and the Zigbee chip on the motherboard. It also has "traces" of a ZIF connector, SD card slot and GSM SIM chip slot on it. I have builds on this device using Ubuntu with working audio. I never did get the audio working on the XP build on this device though.

I will look at the audio chip today on the Openframe 1.0 device and provide you with the part number. You will maybe have to build an audio driver for it. Openframe did utilize newest technology in their builds and some of the technlogy didn't get to mainstream stuff. IE: this audio chip might might only exists on the Openframe 1.0 device and maybe never made it to mainstream devices. I have seen this with the combo bluetooth WLAN mini pcie broadcom card in the Openframe 2.0 devices. Almost appears to be a broadcom beta combo device being tested in the Openframe 1.0 devices.

BTW when I reference the Openframe 2.0 device; thinking it was also referenced as the Openframe 7 device in some parts of the world using it as a telco hub. The nomenclature mystifies me. The openframe 1.0 and 2.0 devices that I have show mostly "test" beta numbers on them rather than regular serial numbers.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Not sure if you looked at it when you did your modification.

Openframe 1.0 (looks like the O2 Joggler)

Sigmatel - same as the O2 Joggler

9202X5

Openframe 2 (7) with front speakers

IDT
92hd758zx3 (tiny print and difficult to read still under a big magnifying glass)

Analog sound works fine in Linux with this device but I cannot get it to work in windows.

IDT sound chip was sold to Tempo Semiconductor. Here is a list of the 92HD chips.

http://www.temposemi.com/products/pclaptop-hd/

I would start from scratch on the SP stuff. Build a new Ubuntu base and then add the SP stuff.
- Pete

Auto mater
shadow1901

Post by shadow1901 »

Thanks pete for checking

The next step is do testing the orginal OS from O2 and then I'll do upgrade to specialversion 30300 from "birds like wires".
Maybe after I can insert the squeezplayer with usb upload.

With FW from O2 the sounds works fine and also with Swisscom FW.
In orginal I have the Openframe FW with a Spezial modifacation from Swisscom.
The Name is "daVinci" but it ins't more to sell.

On Monday I do the next test and give you a answer.

Regards shadow1901
pete

Post by pete »

BTW I have a Broadcom Crystal HD mini pcie card in my "test" Openframe 2.0 box and it streams live 1080 and recorded 1080 stuff very well in XBMC.

I think here (its been a while) that my SP is running on the original build on an 8 GB SSD USB stick inside of it on the Openframe 1.0.

All of the other O2 / Openframe 1.0 boxes are running off of ZIF connected SSD drives now.

I have two Openframe 7's apart.

One I quit playing with because it appears to have been modded for O2 testing and is labeled inside via marker O2. I want to save this one such that I am not playing with it anymore.

Two other Openframe 7's are doing different things. One is running Buzz's latest Ubuntu and the other is running Windows.

For a bit of time I also ran XBMC on the 2Gb MMC chip and it worked OK but filled it up within a week or so.
- Pete

Auto mater
trs79

Post by trs79 »

Thanks for making SqueezePlay OS available! I have two questions:

- Is there somewhere I can download the kernel headers for the 3.2.36.jog2 kernel?
- If not, I know I can download a newer kernel and headers from http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/joggler/kernel/ however I'm not sure what to do after installing it, i.e. do I need to make a new initrd and update grub.cfg to use the new kernel?

Thanks for any help!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

trs79 wrote:Thanks for making SqueezePlay OS available! I have two questions:

- Is there somewhere I can download the kernel headers for the 3.2.36.jog2 kernel?
- If not, I know I can download a newer kernel and headers from http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/joggler/kernel/ however I'm not sure what to do after installing it, i.e. do I need to make a new initrd and update grub.cfg to use the new kernel?

Thanks for any help!
No problem - yes, it looks like I've removed the 3.2.36jog2 headers... that was daft of me. Ah, well - if you download the newer kernel and headers from here (putting them into a dir in the joggler user's home folder - I'm using 'kernel' in the example below) then it's:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i ~/kernel/*.deb
sudo update-initramfs -k 3.2.51jog1 -c
That should install it and create a new initramfs (don't worry about the firmware messages). Then you need to edit /boot/grub.cfg and change the two references to the older kernel to the new one. After that you should be good to go!

This is from memory, so I hope I've got that update-initramfs command right!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
trs79

Post by trs79 »

Thanks so much, your commands worked perfectly. The whole reason I needed kernel headers was for compiling OSS. Does anyone know how to force squeezeplay to use OSS and not ALSA? I checked the logs and it's always trying to use ALSA
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

trs79 wrote:Thanks so much, your commands worked perfectly. The whole reason I needed kernel headers was for compiling OSS. Does anyone know how to force squeezeplay to use OSS and not ALSA? I checked the logs and it's always trying to use ALSA
You might have more luck asking that one on the Squeezebox Forums, but IIRC it's pretty tied to ALSA. :?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

riban

Post by riban »

This (and possibly a few recent) version has disabled coda kernel module which has stopped my davfs2 access to box.com from working. I use this to display pictures stored on my box.com account. Attempts to use davfs2 to mount a webdav share give errors:

FATAL: Module fuse not found.
FATAL: Module coda not found.

It seems FUSE_FS and CODA_FS need to be enabled in the kernel (as modules). Any chance of this in the next release? I would prefer to not have to roll my own kernel...

Great work otherwise! I updated because I performed an apt-get upgrade on an earlier version which stopped the joggler from booting.

I had a bit of hassle re-installing because I didn't know which image to use for internal joggler use. I chose, "OpenFrame 2 Internal Memory" thinking 2 was better than 1. Maybe there could be some description there?

Cheers
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Good stuff, Riban - I'll be sure to add those in the next kernel build. The docs on my site do also need an update, so I'll add that to the list too!
palindrom

SqueezePlay OS for Joggler: Timezone Applet

Post by palindrom »

Hi All,

Changing the time zone on your squeeze-play for JogglerOS is now as easy as on any original Logitech radio and/or touch.
I created (based on the squeeze-radio applet SetupTZ) a
JogglerOS time-zone applet JogglerSetupTZ
to set the proper time zone on your device.

All files you need are included within the attached file.

Install:

copy sqp_JogglerSetupTZ.sh to {yourJoggler}:/opt/squeezeplay/bin/sqp_JogglerSetupTZ.sh
chmod 777 sqp_JogglerSetupTZ.sh

copy *.lua and *.txt to {yourJoggler}:/opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/JogglerSetupTZ/
Install sftp (Secure Shell must be enabled):
psftp -l joggler -pw joggler -be -b "%~dp0JogglerSetupTZ.putty" {your Joggler IP address}

JogglerSetupTZ.putty

progress
lpwd

cd /opt/squeezeplay/bin/
put sqp_JogglerSetupTZ.sh
chmod 777 sqp_JogglerSetupTZ.sh

mkdir /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/JogglerSetupTZ/
cd /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/JogglerSetupTZ/
mput strings.txt *.lua
bye
After installation you can change the time zone settings of your squeeze-play (tested on JogglerOS only):
Menu: Settings/Advances/Timezone

have fun.
Attachments
JogglerSetupTZ.zip
JogglerSetupTZ (Timezone Applet)
(13.98 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Last edited by palindrom on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

riban wrote:It seems FUSE_FS and CODA_FS need to be enabled in the kernel (as modules). Any chance of this in the next release? I would prefer to not have to roll my own kernel...
I've added them into the kernel for SqueezePlay OS v2 - if you're happy to install it yourself it's here, otherwise I'll be zapping out v2.06 soon, probably tomorrow.

Thinking of closing this thread soon too, as I'll not be putting any further work into v1 now.
palindrom

SqueezePlay Image for LMS

Post by palindrom »

Unfortunately the LMS is not having the right PNG to display on the Player/Setup screen.

To solve this just replace the squeezeplay.png file at:

{LMS Installatoin directory}/Squeezebox/server/HTML/EN/html/images/Players/

You can find a new squeezeplay.png within the attached archive.
Attachments
JogglerLMS.zip
(338.28 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

riban wrote: I had a bit of hassle re-installing because I didn't know which image to use for internal joggler use. I chose, "OpenFrame 2 Internal Memory" thinking 2 was better than 1. Maybe there could be some description there?

Cheers
I have the same problem. How can I evaluate which version is stable for my device?!

Download SqueezePlay OS v2.04 for External Storage – (145MB) MD5
Download SqueezePlay OS v2.04 for OpenFrame 1 Internal Memory – (145MB) MD5
Download SqueezePlay OS v2.04 for OpenFrame 2 Internal Memory – (146MB) MD5

Any recommendations?