SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
andyf

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by andyf »

Cool, thanks. That's exactly what I'm using for my external USB device since I fixed the missing asound.conf.
Glenn2

Post by Glenn2 »

I use that (with card 0 or card 1 as appropriate) for general joggler use as all the stations work in the Pure radio app, and it works with iPlayer and Squeezeplay and basically everything.

Instead of editing the file directly, I edited the PnP gforums webserver scripts installed on the joggler, so that I could switch between internal and external sound via the installed opera browser and the pnp config page. (I replaced the non-mixer options for internal and external, leaving the mixer versions untouched).

Managed to swerve the forced upgrade so far!
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

I have successfully booted SqeezePlay OS from a USB stick. SqueezePlay works like a charm. Thanks a lot for this.
Then I tried to install Logitech Media Server on the joggler. First I downloaded the .deb file form the Logitech site. Then I copied it on the USB stick. Finally I used dpkg to install the package. I obtained the following error:

(Reading database ... 36997 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking logitechmediaserver (from logitechmediaserver_7.7.2_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing logitechmediaserver_7.7.2_all.deb (--install):
failed in buffer_write(fd) (10, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/arch/5.14/arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int/auto/DBD/SQLite/SQLite.so': No space left on device
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
logitechmediaserver_7.7.2_all.deb

I used a 16 Gbyte stick.

What's wrong?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

papaiannis wrote:I used a 16 Gbyte stick.

What's wrong?
The space available to the OS root is only as large as the partition on which it is stored. The image contains one small boot partition and one ~950MB root partition. That means that it's 950MB on a 1GB stick and 950MB on a 1TB HDD.

To get access to the additional space, you need to resize tat partition. Easiest way is to use gparted. If you use Linux, just install it and you can use it to stretch out the size of the partition.

If you use Windows, download the gparted live CD (google it), burn it, boot from it and then do the same resizing thing. Voila!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
andyf

Post by andyf »

Got my Squeezeplayer OS'd Joggler running through a Topping TP32 now. Very pleased with the results. Great work, everybody involved.

Andy.
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

roobarb! wrote:The space available to the OS root is only as large as the partition on which it is stored. The image contains one small boot partition and one ~950MB root partition. That means that it's 950MB on a 1GB stick and 950MB on a 1TB HDD.

To get access to the additional space, you need to resize tat partition. Easiest way is to use gparted. If you use Linux, just install it and you can use it to stretch out the size of the partition.

If you use Windows, download the gparted live CD (google it), burn it, boot from it and then do the same resizing thing. Voila!
Following your suggestion I managed to successfully install LMS on my Joggler.
I was really surprised to see how fast LMS indexed more than 10.000 tracks stored on an external cifs/samba share.
To mount the share I added the following line to /etc/fstab:

//192.168.1.6/sharedfolder /remoteshare cifs username=user1,password=pass1,_netdev 0 0

where 192.168.1.6 is the IP address of the remote file server, sharedfolder is the name of the shared folder, remoteshare is a folder I created under the root to act as the mountpoint, user1 and pass1 are the username and the password required to access the remote folder. The option _netdev is quite important, it grants that the OS mounts the share only after the network setup is finished.

Everything works well and the joggler does not seem to be overloaded.

Thank you again.
Last edited by papaiannis on Thu May 17, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
papaiannis

Spdif output

Post by papaiannis »

I am going to add a spdif output to my joggler, as described in this wiki page:
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Internal_SPDIF_output

Before opening the joggler I'd like to be sure that this mod works for jogglers running the SqueezePlay OS.
The list of the devices differs a little from the one in the wiki:

joggler@joggler:/$ cat /proc/asound/devices
1: : sequencer
2: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
3: [ 0- 1]: digital audio capture
4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
5: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
6: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
7: [ 0] : control
33: : timer

The wiki instructs how to edit the file asound.conf, but this file does not exist.

Did anyone add the spdif output to a Joggler running the SqueezePlay OS?
Do I need to edit any configuration file?

Any help is welcome. Thank you
Xeijin

Post by Xeijin »

Looking forward to the method for installing on the internal memory, Joggler os has always been a bit flaky. Thanks as always for your hard work roobarb.
johnkg

Post by johnkg »

Hi, First Post!

Joggler updated this morning and although it kept Squeezeplay (the only reason I use it, apart from the old Clock!) I lost both Telnet and use of the USB soundcard.

Read this post and downloaded the SqueezeplayOS but, try as I might, the Joggler always boots into OpenPeak. I have tried two USB pens but no luck. Does this new O2 version not read the USBs on bootup or should I try some more pens?
roobarb!

Re: Spdif output

Post by roobarb! »

papaiannis wrote:The wiki instructs how to edit the file asound.conf, but this file does not exist.
Hmm, someone else reported that they had no asound.conf file recently. This must be a bug - it should always exist if SqueezePlay is installed.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

johnkg wrote:Does this new O2 version not read the USBs on bootup or should I try some more pens?
I'd double-check that you are following the instructions on writing the image to the stick properly, then try another device. The update doesn't affect the boot procedure of the Joggler, so it should always run an 'external' system.
monkums

Post by monkums »

Try some more USB sticks as I tried a few before I found one my Joggler liked.
johnkg

Post by johnkg »

Thanks all, I'll get some more sticks and try again.

Good to hear that the new update hasn't b0rked the USB flashing.
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

roobarb! wrote:
papaiannis wrote:The wiki instructs how to edit the file asound.conf, but this file does not exist.
Hmm, someone else reported that they had no asound.conf file recently. This must be a bug - it should always exist if SqueezePlay is installed.
Do I need asound.conf to have spdif output working on my joggler? In this case, where can I get it?
Thank you.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

papaiannis wrote:
roobarb! wrote:
Do I need asound.conf to have spdif output working on my joggler? In this case, where can I get it?
Create this as /etc/asound.conf

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm {
type hw
card 0
}
}
ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
}
I don't know the exact settings for the S/PDIF output, but I'm sure it'll be in that thread in the Hardware section.
johnkg

Post by johnkg »

OK, I'm now in. Thanks all! Waiting for SSH to kick in.

Re. USB sound. Can I unplug the SqOS stick and plug in the USB soundcard (will it register) or should I use a Hub?
johnkg

Post by johnkg »

Scrub last post, can't just plug in another USB :oops:

Another Question.

On the boosting volume thread http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... lume#p8409
I was going to apply the snd-hda-intel.ko and try that, as I don't seem able to run the USB stick and the USB sound card from my USB hub.

But when I ssh into the joggler and try and replace it, it says permission denied (file in joggler /lib)

Logged in as joggler,joggler

Am I doing something wrong? Is this even possible/sensible?

cheers
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

johnkg wrote:Scrub last post, can't just plug in another USB :oops:
Hehe, no - that wouldn't work. :)
johnkg wrote:Another Question.

On the boosting volume thread http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... lume#p8409
I was going to apply the snd-hda-intel.ko and try that, as I don't seem able to run the USB stick and the USB sound card from my USB hub.

But when I ssh into the joggler and try and replace it, it says permission denied (file in joggler /lib)

Logged in as joggler,joggler

Am I doing something wrong? Is this even possible/sensible?
No - don't follow anything in that thread - it relates only to the native OS. You'll just kill your sound if you follow those instructions in sqpOS.

On the command line type:

amixer

This will allow you to turn up the master volume. I set it to ~70% to prevent the internal speakers distorting with particular material.

Also, connect your audio interface and type:

cat /proc/asound/cards

An post the output here. That'll how if you device is recognised.
johnkg

Post by johnkg »

Hi Roobarb!

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people that try a million different tyhings until I get one that sticks, and moves onto something else!!! :o :lol:

I have now managed to get my USB card connected and Squeezeplay and configured it BUT I have no asound.conf:

joggler@joggler:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards

0 [MID ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
HDA Intel MID at 0xd01c0000 irq 16
1 [Set ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
C-Media USB Headphone Set at usb-0000:00:1d.7-4.1, full sapeed

What's the easiest way for me to source and copy over an asound.conf (using putty)?
thomaskunze

Post by thomaskunze »

I just registered to thank the dev for sharing this wonderful software. I bought my Joggler in 2010 on eBay with the intention to use it as a Squeezebox Touch replacement and used it from day one with roobarb!'s builds to my total satisfaction.

With the current state (SqueezePlay OS) you have enhanced the device to perfection!

Top notch, keep up the good work!