SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
castalla

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by castalla »

I think that iloveetc may be right about the Zyxel not being able to transcode the streams. There are two ways round this - as a test, install LMS on a more powerful PC (eg. Windows). Or, install Squeezelite player on the Joggler - this involves using the terminal via SSH. How familiar are you with linux commands?
Arie

Post by Arie »

I use SqOS so that I can run the server on it. I also mounted a HDD to the system, my music lib is on it. Thanks to all of you that made this possible!

I used to mount the usb hdd by using its UUID. That has a downside: if you put in another disk (eg a replacement), the mount fails and the system hangs! You can't log in the system using SSH either (connection refused) to correct the situation. So I changed the mounting step in /etc/fstab by using another identifier than the UUID (/dev/sdb1 /media/USBHDD ntfs-3g defaults,windows_names,locale=en_GB.utf8 0 0). Now this proves even more fragile: sometimes the system boots, sometimes not.

Sorry for this long intro - my question now is: does anybody know a robust but more 'flexible' way to achieve USB HDD mounting? Or is there a way to prevent the Joggler stalls at startup whenHDD mounting did not succeed. The latter is the actual problem (once it occurs, I need to go back to a backup to resume experimentation...)
Positivity

Post by Positivity »

Hello - I have a similar problem. I am running SQPOS from a USB stick with the music library on an HDD (both connected to the Joggler via a powered USB hub). However I cannot get the system to survive a reboot - the mount point for the HDD seems to be set at random. Sometimes it is /media/usb, sometimes /media/usb1 etc. Once the location changes I have to do a full library rescan (2 hours plus) before I can listen to any music - not very useful if I need to reboot to fix the audio.
Is there a way to force the system to always mount the HDD to the same place?
Thanks
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Positivity wrote:Hello - I have a similar problem. I am running SQPOS from a USB stick with the music library on an HDD (both connected to the Joggler via a powered USB hub). However I cannot get the system to survive a reboot - the mount point for the HDD seems to be set at random. Sometimes it is /media/usb, sometimes /media/usb1 etc. Once the location changes I have to do a full library rescan (2 hours plus) before I can listen to any music - not very useful if I need to reboot to fix the audio.
Is there a way to force the system to always mount the HDD to the same place?
Thanks
To quote myself...

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 780#p16303

Are you asking it to rescan when this happens. I find that all I have to do it select the correct destination and exit. I never rescan and the music library normally reappears a minute or so. I realise this doesn't solve anything but may possibly speed up accessing the music library for you unless someone can provide a solution (which would be wonderful!)?
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

castalla wrote:I think that iloveetc may be right about the Zyxel not being able to transcode the streams. There are two ways round this - as a test, install LMS on a more powerful PC (eg. Windows). Or, install Squeezelite player on the Joggler - this involves using the terminal via SSH. How familiar are you with linux commands?
Looks like you were both correct about the Zyxel NAS - I installed LMS on the joggler (from within SqueezePlayOS) and now the BBC iPlayer live streams work perfectly :-) Many thanks for the help on that. Much appreciated!

I have another problem now though!! I've attached a HDD to the USB hub attached to the joggler but I can't find the HDD in the LMS settings webpage - so I can't get the LMS to scan it... off to do some searching... :-)
Positivity

Post by Positivity »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Are you asking it to rescan when this happens. I find that all I have to do it select the correct destination and exit. I never rescan and the music library normally reappears a minute or so. I realise this doesn't solve anything but may possibly speed up accessing the music library for you unless someone can provide a solution (which would be wonderful!)?
Sorry - I realise I did not word that very well. As soon as I select the new location and click Apply, LMS forces a clear library and scan. Next time it happens, I will try and change the path without clicking Apply, but I am not sure if LMS will remember the path if I do that.

This is now the only thing in my setup which prevents it being totally family friendly, so it would be great if I could fix the path. Is this something that can be done in the /etc/fstab file?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hmm. I think I do click apply. When it next goes wrong i'll pay attention and let you know exactly what happens - unless, hopefully, you have things sorted by then. What's odd is that no one else reports this issue...

Edit: it may be a while as i avoid reboots!
Positivity

Post by Positivity »

Just had to force a reboot as I had lost all audio and it happened again - LMS lost path to the Music on the USB HDD. It was set at /media/usb1/Music but after the reboot was /media/usb2/Music. I tried manually editing the path rather than choosing from the folder browser popup, but as soon as I clicked Apply LMS started a full rescan.

I do find it strange that no one else has seen this behaviour. My setup is Joggler booting from USB flashdrive running SQPOS. The Flashdrive is connected to a Belkin powered USB hub which also has a 500GB USB HDD connected containing the Music files. The last thing connected to the hub is a USB to Co-Ax digital converter which is then connected to the digital input on my Amp.

What I have not tried is rebooting again when it happens - if it is truely random, then it should only require 2 or 3 reboots on average before the HDD is mounted on the same path that LMS has configured. This would be quicker than a full rescan, but still irritating nevertheless.
Arie

Post by Arie »

Hello Positively. I think you can solved this by mounting the disk using the UUID - a unique identifier of the usb hdd you are using. Also, you need to define a fixed point to mount to.
The essential steps are (first login as root)

a) create a dir to mount to. I call it USBHDD by default:
mkdir /media/USBHDD
b) connect the disk to your system. Determine the UUID (a unique identifier) of the disk you are using by typing the command:
blkid
There is one item there that is obviously your hdd. copy the UUID for later use
c) edit /etc/fstab so you can force mount at each startup. Add the following line at the end:
UUID=01CDE534EDF26BC0 /media/USBHDD ntfs-3g defaults,nobootwait,windows_names,locale=en_GB.utf8 0 0
of course, fill in YOUR uuid, not this one...
NB: Nobootwait assures that the system boots even when something is wrong in this line. If you don't use it, the system will 'hang' trying to mount and you can't even get in anymore using telnet or ssh. I found that to my shame, having to start over installing the sqos from scratch....
d) check if things actually work by forcing a mount using
mount -a
Can you now see the contents of your disk at /media/USBHDD? (just type ls /media/USBHDD) Than it worked!
After each reboot the disk will be mounted in the same way. Hope this helps!
Arie

Post by Arie »

My post above also explains how I solved my problem posted in August 24. I stick to UUID to secure accurate mounting, but the addition of the mount option 'nobootwait' added the required flexibility (eg when one needs to change the disk for another, the system doesn't hang and you can actually make the required adjustments to fstab)
Positivity

Post by Positivity »

Thanks Arie,
I will try that. Can you clarify two things?
I want to mount read only as a further safeguard of the music files and it is a fat32 disk to allow me to update it on my mac.
Would my fstab entry therefore look something like this?
UUID=01CDE534EDF26BC0 /media/USBHDD vfat defaults,nobootwait,windows_names,locale=en_GB.utf8,ro 0 0
Obviously substituting the UUID of my own drive
Arie

Post by Arie »

Sorry Positively, I have no experience with vfat but some 'googeling' suggests that could indeed work. May I suggest another option? If you install samba on the joggler you can keep the disk connected to the joggler and update music from your mac desktop to it like it was a disk in your mac. Much easier than powering down, moving disk to mac, updating there, moving to joggler and booting again. The downside: of course you need to enable writing too (less safe?). I use a disk on my PC as 'the source' and mirror it to the joggler disk whenever I updated the contents in any way.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Seems there are newer versions of Squeezeplay available - version 7.8

If SqpOS ever gets a facelift, could Squeezeplay also get a later version?

http://code.google.com/p/squeezeslave/d ... b&can=2&q=

I realise that Squeezeplay is heavily modified for the Joggler.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

castalla wrote:Seems there are newer versions of Squeezeplay available - version 7.8

If SqpOS ever gets a facelift, could Squeezeplay also get a later version?

http://code.google.com/p/squeezeslave/d ... b&can=2&q=

I realise that Squeezeplay is heavily modified for the Joggler.
Yup, I'd certainly look into it. Funnily enough, I'm just recreating my build environments now, which is why I stopped by. As per, no timeline promises though! ;)

My only reservation with 7.8 is that I've had some issues with LMS at that version, albeit with 7.7 as the client. If it's not as stable, I'll not deploy it - I've got used to my systems being solid as a rock and I don't want to inflict iffy software on myself or others!

(No aspersions to be cast on any 7.8 developers, BTW - it's just that I've not properly tested myself!)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
castalla

Post by castalla »

Thanks for the update on your deliberations!

I've had 7.8 on 3 different server (Joggler, Pi, Cubieboard) - using various clients (Touch, SB Radio, Squeezelite on Joggler, Logitech Controller on Android). Haven't had any problems ...

I suppose the problem is that 7.8 depends on nightlies - and may never be officially released. The big plus is that the Tunein dependence on mysb.com is eliminated (as if and when Logi pull the plug).
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

castalla wrote:Thanks for the update on your deliberations!

I've had 7.8 on 3 different server (Joggler, Pi, Cubieboard) - using various clients (Touch, SB Radio, Squeezelite on Joggler, Logitech Controller on Android). Haven't had any problems ...

I suppose the problem is that 7.8 depends on nightlies - and may never be officially released. The big plus is that the Tunein dependence on mysb.com is eliminated (as if and when Logi pull the plug).
Ah, I was wondering what had changed in 7.8. I must admit that I have not kept track with how things are going on that front. And that's the problem with nightlies - there's no guarantee. I had problems with blank menus appearing when trying to play tracks, but I think that has vanished with the latest one I put on.

Anyway, I've managed to compile a new kernel for the first time in 9 months, so I must remember some of what I was doing! ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
castalla

Post by castalla »

There have been quite a lot of changes (under the hood) - mostly too geeky for me - but recently there was a fix for slow music indexing.

There appear to be very few complaints about issues with recent 7.8 releases.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Just to add that yesterday I popped LMS 7.8 on my Joggler running sqpOS and, touch wood, it's OK so far...

It's on PnP III and I don't think people are having issues... (as 15 issues probably appear at this very moment!)
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
z4ck

Post by z4ck »

Hi Guys,

i bought my Joggler times ago and after cleaning up my whole room i got it back.

So I started it and it boots into Ubuntu... amazing.. but i decided to switch to Squeezeplay. I read the whole tutorial from birdslikewires and i installed the squeezeplay Os on the internal memory. Nice Work by the way.
After restart I tried to connect to the Internet but got no connection. I googled this Problem but only found some problems which are not similar with mine. So my questions are :

Status Quo :
- Joggler with Squeezeplay OS
- NAS with Logitech Media Server on Port 9000
- Joggler got no connection. Neither Ethernet nor Wifi
- Router = Fritzbox 6360 WPA2-Wifi
- Could start Joggler until "Trying to connect to mysqueezebox.com"
- DHCP is activated

1. Is Wifi enabled with Squeezeplay OS ?
2. Is there any other setting necessary ?
3. I only found the solution to restore OP-OS. Is this necessary ?

Sorry, but googling and using search function doesnt leeds me to the solution.

Thanks for help.

z4ck

*** Update ***

Oh, man....

It works..

Tried another Ethernet-Cable...

After that tried Wi-Fi in another Spot... Everything works fine and its an amazing Tool/OS.

Special Thanks to the producer, very very nice work.

Is there any exp with overheating ? I would like to use my Joggler with this amazing OS as an alarm-clock and to stream audiobooks in my bedroom. Should I turn it off in the morning or is there no problem running the whole day.

Greetz

z4ck
castalla

Post by castalla »

From author's webpage@

Important: Please note that I always compile kernels for the Joggler with an 80°C thermal trip point. If you are unhappy with this, you need to add thermal.psv=70 to the grub.cfg file before booting.

I changed this to 75 - haven't noticed any issues.