SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
SQueeZe

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by SQueeZe »

internal audio. I now have a Behringer.

OK, so I have narrowed it down, but I am stuck now.

Squeezeplay seems to be loaded from the .xinitrc file in the home directory which is as follows:

Code: Select all

export DISPLAY=:0.0
setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0
xset dpms 0 0 0 s off
if [ -f /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh ]; then
        /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh
else
        xterm
fi

It seems that if squeezeplay.sh is missing, it tries to load up xterm. So I commented out the if statement, just leaving the execution of xterm. However, when I reboot the O2 logo just flashes on the screen every 3-4 seconds and I don't see any terminal.

Second I tried to stop xorg from loading by commenting out line in the .profile script. This resulted in no flashing, but the O2 logo just remained on the screen.

In both cases I could still ssh in.

This kind of does what I want - i.e. Squeezeplay isn't loaded. If I am going to turn the screen off anyway, it doesnt really matter whether the command line displays or not, but now I am curious as to how I do it!

Does anyone know how to boot to the command prompt?
castalla

Re: Alternative to Shairplay for Android devices

Post by castalla »

castalla wrote:Would this work on the Squeezeplay OS?

http://nanocr.eu/2013/07/02/amplify-you ... magicplay/
I guess not as it seems to be only available for hard-float arm - anybody able to compile a binary for the Joggler?
gegs

Post by gegs »

castalla wrote:I guess not as it seems to be only available for hard-float arm - anybody able to compile a binary for the Joggler?
That particular implementation is only available for hard-float arm because it is for the Raspberry Pi. A quote from the MagicPlay website: "MagicPlay works on all chipsets, regardless of manufacturer, and is built using Qualcomm's AllJoyn framework."

This is all at an early stage but it looks very promising. The only app that can use it at the moment is the DoubleTwist player. The open-sourcing of the project is an attempt to get device manufacturers and app developers to implement the standard as a cheaper alternative to Airplay or Sonos systems; they want to establish a non-proprietary method of delivering wireless audio. More power to their elbow!
SQueeZe

Post by SQueeZe »

got it! xterm wasn't installed (thanks roobarb!). So I did a apt-get update and apt-get install xterm.
Then, in the .xinitrc file I changed xset dpms 0 0 0 s off to xset dpms 1 1 1 s off and now the screen switches off after 1 minute.
Kevin
castalla

Post by castalla »

gegs wrote:
castalla wrote:I guess not as it seems to be only available for hard-float arm - anybody able to compile a binary for the Joggler?
That particular implementation is only available for hard-float arm because it is for the Raspberry Pi. A quote from the MagicPlay website: "MagicPlay works on all chipsets, regardless of manufacturer, and is built using Qualcomm's AllJoyn framework."

This is all at an early stage but it looks very promising. The only app that can use it at the moment is the DoubleTwist player. The open-sourcing of the project is an attempt to get device manufacturers and app developers to implement the standard as a cheaper alternative to Airplay or Sonos systems; they want to establish a non-proprietary method of delivering wireless audio. More power to their elbow!
Yes ... but using the instructions it should be possible to create a binary for the Joggler chipset. I'd do it if I knew what I was doing!
castalla

Post by castalla »

Does anybody know if there's a keyboard press for Turn OFF/On or the Power button in Squeezeplay?
gegs

Post by gegs »

castalla wrote:Yes ... but using the instructions it should be possible to create a binary for the Joggler chipset. I'd do it if I knew what I was doing!
I know! That's why I posted the quote from the website about it being available for all chipsets and platforms. I didn't want others to get the impression that it was only for hard-float ARM. I'm not sure if installing from source would be as simple as configure, make, make install and running Magicplay as a background service; If so, it would probably be easier to implement on a USB distro than on the stock OS.

Other than curiosity, I'm not hugely interested until there's some commercially available Magicplay-enabled hardware. I'm not itching to use DoubleTwist Player with my Joggler (or at all, if I'm being honest).
castalla

Post by castalla »

I don't have an i-Thing so I'd like an alternative to Airplay.

At the moment, I'm more interested in discovering if there's a secret key for POWER off in Squeezeplay!
gegs

Post by gegs »

castalla wrote:I don't have an i-Thing so I'd like an alternative to Airplay.

At the moment, I'm more interested in discovering if there's a secret key for POWER off in Squeezeplay!
The MagicPlay thing will only be an alternative to Airplay when it is adopted by device manufacturers and app developers. DoubleTwist does have the Airtwist "TwistTo" capability - in the paid version - that allows you to stream to Apple TV or Sonos speakers. I think (although I may be wrong) that this only works for content stored on the device with DoubleTwist installed. It would be great if it could work as an Airplay server to stream content stored on a network share. It doesn't look as if Shairport is supported at present:
http://www.doubletwist.com/help/questio ... t-airplay/

As for power off in Squeezeplay OS, the Quit > Shutdown feature does that. Is this what you're after? To power on again you need to switch off then on again at the power socket or remove and re-insert the power lead from the back of the Joggler.
castalla

Post by castalla »

No!

I want to be able to select the On/Off button (or the Turn Off/On menu item) using a remote. Like the power button on the Touch works.
gegs

Post by gegs »

castalla wrote:No!

I want to be able to select the On/Off button (or the Turn Off/On menu item) using a remote. Like the power button on the Touch works.
Ah-ha! I would have understood If I'd read your similar post on another thread.

The only remote(s) I have are apps on my Android phone and iPad but a properly configured dedicated remote would be great for Squeezeplay.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

castalla wrote:No!

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ote#p16794

Any use or still wrong end of the stick?
castalla

Post by castalla »

It's capital Q !!!

Now the Joggler is almost an exact relica of the Touch!

Now, if only someone would confirm that dpkg -i can be used to update 7.7.2 to 7.8 .....
castalla

Post by castalla »

I've run into some problems trying to get squeezelite working.

If I run squeezelite, change the player, then the first radio or music selection plays. If I then select another stream - this doesn't play - no sound. Switch back to Squeezplay as the player - no sound. I'm just trying to use the onboard analog out.

I'm sure I had this working earlier but something's gone wrong.

Does squeezelite only work for the external sound output???
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Could be the be the 2 are trying to use the same interface and interfering with each other? Might be worth turning off squeeze play navigation sounds and maybe select USB for squeezeplay.
castalla

Post by castalla »

By select usb - do you mean the external sound option? Isn't that a universal setting for the device, rather than a particular player?

Sadly, there seems no way to get this working reliably - I just tried agan. Got 2 stream changes, then nothing played. Had to reboot to get sound back for SqueezePlay.
castalla

Post by castalla »

LMS problems

I've tried to install LMS twice now - without any success. The install circle never stops ... and LMS is not installed.

In any event, the lack of cifs support severely limits LMS use in my case since my external music server limits access to 'guest' and no password.
Arie

Post by Arie »

My Joggler runs SqOS 1.09 plus LMS server (so both on the joggler); music is on a usb HDD. Lately, the server has become very unstable. It often starts with covers no longer showing in the display (or on the remote display of eg tablet). Later, it seems to have lost track of the actual music: no music plays even though the 'track-scrollbar' runs. Or: the entirely library has become empty (that's what is literaly shown on the display when selecting eg albums or artists). The only seemingly related issue I found on this thread is that by ilovemyjoggler on page 40 (March 19). With an external LMS, this problem does not occur. Does anyone know what is going on and how to prevent this from happening?

Addendum: I just checked the memory usage of the joggler via advanced settings, additional features, storage use. Here it says '/dev/sdb2 908MB .... 100% used on my erratic joggler system! I just rebooted the server using ssh via
sudo service logitechmediaserver stop
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache
sudo service logitechmediaserver start
and now the memory usage is 68% (but still climbing-new scan is running).
Is there a link with these phenomena? Why is there only 908MB available when the server runs from a 8GB stick? My library is quite large (about 30.000 tracks). I would appreciate feedback on the output of this storage use option in the menu on other systems running servers.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Arie

The image doesn't actually use the whole stick, that way it also fits on smaller sticks than yours. You can resize the main partition and that should solve your problem. I have a bootable GParted CD that I use for doing this, if you have Linux on the your PC you can use GParted on there.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

castalla wrote:By select usb - do you mean the external sound option? Isn't that a universal setting for the device, rather than a particular player?

Sadly, there seems no way to get this working reliably - I just tried agan. Got 2 stream changes, then nothing played. Had to reboot to get sound back for SqueezePlay.
I'm not sure I'm 100% correct but my understanding is Squeezeplay will use the default audio device, which is what you are changing by selecting the external USB in Squeezeplay, whereas squeezelite let's you select a specific audio device with its startup parameters. So select USB as default then specify the internal device when starting squeezelite. This should prevent them interfering.