SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:I need to tweak the buffer settings ever so slightly for AirPlay on sqpOS - there's a small mismatch between it and the official Apple products, meaning the Apple TV (and, I assume, the AirPort Express) plays the audio ever so slightly early...
Is this something we could do manually or will it have to wait for an update?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:
roobarb! wrote:I need to tweak the buffer settings ever so slightly for AirPlay on sqpOS - there's a small mismatch between it and the official Apple products, meaning the Apple TV (and, I assume, the AirPort Express) plays the audio ever so slightly early...
Is this something we could do manually or will it have to wait for an update?
No, it's an easy change - but I can't remember where at the moment! Think it's in /opt/squeezeplay/squeezeplay.sh. There's three-digit buffer value - just tweak that ever so slightly. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
castalla

Post by castalla »

I'm about to get a Joggler. I really only want this for Squeezeplay.

However, reading through the install notes, I see that the setup requires WPA.

I have an open network (yes, I know, but that's how it is!) - all my existing devices connect without issue. Am I going to have problems connecting if I use Squeezeplay OS?

On a secondary point, is there any reason why the smb mount won't use the guest access - I ask because my music is stored on a usb stick on my router. As far as I know this only has guest access (never found a way to change it).

Looking forward to trying al this out.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

castalla wrote:I'm about to get a Joggler. I really only want this for Squeezeplay.

However, reading through the install notes, I see that the setup requires WPA.

I have an open network (yes, I know, but that's how it is!) - all my existing devices connect without issue. Am I going to have problems connecting if I use Squeezeplay OS?

On a secondary point, is there any reason why the smb mount won't use the guest access - I ask because my music is stored on a usb stick on my router. As far as I know this only has guest access (never found a way to change it).

Looking forward to trying al this out.
In theory if you do your initial setup with a wired connection you can either then use Putty or another SSH client on your PC to either edit the network config files manually or install network applet from this thread http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516 to achieve what you want. I'm not one to presume I know best but I'd actually suggest you use WPA on your WiFi tbh, or run the joggler with a wire if you can.

Regarding the SMB share, I seem to recall editing FSTAB manually that I couldn't get guest access working but no idea why. My old router that had a USB port and could share it via SMB also didn't have options for setting a password either, however it would just accept any old combination so it didn't matter. What model router is it?
castalla

Post by castalla »

Thanks for the reply!

I'll probably go the interfaces edit route - I've done this on several debians and fedora - so I think I should know what I'm doing - famous last words!

I have a Huawei 532 - it works brilliantly as a file store - have LMS currently on a Cubieboard which runs Fedora 18. I guess I really don't need another server!

I'll report back when I get the Joggler up and running.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

If the SMB mounting doesn't work with the USB in the router is there a free USB on the cubieboard. Should be easy enough enable Samba on there so you can access from other machines as well.
castalla

Post by castalla »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:If the SMB mounting doesn't work with the USB in the router is there a free USB on the cubieboard. Should be easy enough enable Samba on there so you can access from other machines as well.
Accessing the Huawei usb is done via cifs mount. I came across this post: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =40#p10059

This suggests I might get away with using 'guest' and blank password - which is what I've used in both debian and fedora.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Thanks for reminding me of that link.

I indexed a whole bunch of stuff yesterday using LMS on the Raspberry Pi running Squeezeplug but I initially had the same problems mounting a samba share that had no password. I got round it by logging in as root and mounting the share manually. It won't survive a reboot though so I'll need to add it to /etc/rc.local (or something). The Pi runs as my main LMS server at the moment (and forever, if no insurmountable issues show up) and I can now access the music library on my NAS* from PiSqueeze (the headless player on the Pi) and both of my Jogglers.

From memory, I think the mount command was mount.cifs //server_IP_address/share_name /mnt/samba

The /mnt/samba directory is created by Squeezeplug when setting up a samba share using the SP's setup interface. Unfortunately, although the folder is created, the mounting of the samba share fails in SP setup if there is no u/name or p/w. Using the mount command above works fine without user authentication, the default setting of my iomega NAS.

*I don't really save music like this myself, most of my listening is now streamed, but I raided my kids' collection of music files for testing. Approximately 15,500 tracks were indexed in about 1hr 15mins.
castalla

Post by castalla »

The last time I used squeezeplug on the Pi, I think I had to enter the username 'guest' and no password in the setup page. You can't just leave both blank.

I usually end up adding the mount manually, however
gegs

Post by gegs »

I tried the 'guest' no p/w thing but it didn't work for me. It's probably something to do with iomega's Home Network Drive; I've read that other people have had the same problem with it.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Can some kind person guide me through the steps to install and use Squeezelite on the SqpOS?

I use squeezelite on a Pi and a Cubieboard, so I'm familiar with the general procedure.

1. Let's assume I have installed squeezelite. Where should I put the command for squeezelite so it starts on boot but after the Joggler gets its network connection?

2. Do I need any special settings in the asound.conf file so that squeezelite accesses the onboard audio output?

[Supplementary question:

If I enable the shell login, can I get root access? ]
florca

Post by florca »

castalla wrote:Can some kind person guide me through the steps to install and use Squeezelite on the SqpOS?

I use squeezelite on a Pi and a Cubieboard, so I'm familiar with the general procedure.

1. Let's assume I have installed squeezelite. Where should I put the command for squeezelite so it starts on boot but after the Joggler gets its network connection?

2. Do I need any special settings in the asound.conf file so that squeezelite accesses the onboard audio output?

[Supplementary question:

If I enable the shell login, can I get root access? ]
The way I did it (after some prompting much higher up the thread by Roobarb!) is to place the squeezelite command in .xinitrc - my .xinitrc is now:

Code: Select all

joggler@joggler:~$ cat .xinitrc
export DISPLAY=:0.0
setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0
xset dpms 0 0 0 s off
if [ -f /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh ]; then
        squeezelite -n Squeezelite -m 00:b8:1f:95:0d:07 -r 48000 -o "front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0" > /dev/null 2>&1 &
        /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh
else
        xterm
fi
joggler@joggler:~$
Note that I'm using squeezelite with an external USB DAC/amp (as specified by the -o parameter above) but leaving the Squeezeplay interface "beeps" through the internal Joggler loudspeaker, so you may need to adjust your squeezelite command line and asound.conf to fit your configuration...

Supplementary answer: Yes, sudo works fine.

Brgds

Phil
castalla

Post by castalla »

Thanks! Sadly I'm none the wiser ... where does the squeezelite.sh file come from? I thought it was just a case of downloading the binary to a dir and then running a command line?

I think getting the Joggler up and running is going to be a bit more wrangling than I expected!

Isn't there a root login?
florca

Post by florca »

castalla wrote:Thanks! Sadly I'm none the wiser ... where does the squeezelite.sh file come from? I thought it was just a case of downloading the binary to a dir and then running a command line?
There isn't a squeezelite.sh script! I simply placed the squeezelite binary into /usr/bin and am running it directly (as a background task) from within the .xinitrc script under the joggler user as per this command line:

Code: Select all

squeezelite -n Squeezelite -m 00:b8:1f:95:0d:07 -r 48000 -o "front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0" > /dev/null 2>&1 &
If you wanted you could place that into it's own shell script file and call that - probably less of a hack in fact?

Note that I've redirected all squeezelite console output to null to avoid chewing up the USB flash - you should probably test things out without this at first until it's all working reliably.

You should have a .xinitrc file in your joggler user's home directory (ls -a to check it's there?) and you can edit it via nano to an adapted version of the sample in my post above.

Note that squeezelite runs as a separate "Player" on the Joggler, with Squeezeplay still active and visible - you must specify a unique MAC address in the squeezelite command (via -m) or LMS gets mighty confused, and select it via "Choose Player" in the Squeezeplay User Interface. Once selected it will remain as the default player on the Joggler through reboots etc. so you only need to do this once.

My preference for squeezelite over the native Squeezeplay player is almost entirely due to its support for native AAC playback, which I use for BBC iPlayer. The primary disadvantage is that it doesn't support WMA, so if this is important then life gets a bit difficult (can be done via LMS transcoding, but will apply to all players).

Hope this is helpful

What do you need to do as root that can't be done via sudo?
castalla

Post by castalla »

Thanks - very helpful.

I'm used to using winscp to copy and edit files - rather than the nano, vi editors - I find I can do this if I have root user access. I know it's 'dangerous'! I never worked out how to use winscp as a normal user - keep getting 'permission denied' ....

The Joggler should arrive sometime this week .... then it'll all become less theoretical!
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Don't worry about it too much as nano is a lot more beginner friendly than other text editors so is easy enough for even numpties like me to use.

In all honesty I've not bothered yet with trying squeezelite as squeeze play on its own works well. SqPOS has Mplayer preinstalled which means both the PlayAAC and PlayWMA LMS plugins work, which I don't believe will effect other players capable of native playback unlike using the transcoding settings in LMS, although I'm not 100% certain on that point.

I do wonder though if it would be possible to get squeezelite using a different audio interface to have 2 players in 1 joggler. I already have an analogue stereo cable run from where 1 joggler is to another room with an amp. I could use my DIY optical port and the analogue out, thus freeing my 2nd joggler for my bedroom. Any ideas if this is possible-
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I've just had another thought, in LMS there is a plugin called Local Player. This installs squeezelite on your server machine and gives a web interface for its settings. I use my joggler for LMS. I wonder if that would work as an easy way for me to use squeezelite. Anybody tried doing this yet? I might give that a go at some point.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

castalla wrote:I'm used to using winscp to copy and edit files - rather than the nano, vi editors - I find I can do this if I have root user access. I know it's 'dangerous'! I never worked out how to use winscp as a normal user - keep getting 'permission denied' ....
Take a look at the posts around here as i think this is what you're after...

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 660#p15130
dec

Post by dec »

I posted a question regarding enabling 24/96 (or 24/192) playback in the 24/96 forum, but didn't get any feedback.

I've got a Vortexbox running LMS, which is serving my Joggler running SpOS (v.1.09).

I've just got a cheap 24/192 DAC from eBay and would like some help enabling playback via this.

I've already had a quick test enabling the 'external output' (to use the DAC) and disabled the volume limiter. This seemed to work and I did get sound from my DAC.

I had already run:

sudo apt-get update

And

sudo apt-get install patch

I read this somewhere, regarding the wilberforce/EDO patch(?).

My question is this - I believe I have to use Squeezelite to support full 24/96 (or 24/192)?

If so, do I just download the binary, edit the file, as mentioned above, and change the '48000' part to '96000' (or '192000')?

Is anything else required on the LMS (Vortexbox) side?

Btw I purchased some hi-res flacs from Quboz (a French website), incase anyone is interested?

Sorry for cross posting, there just seemed to be more activity here!
PTK

Post by PTK »

Most likely a very basic question...I've successfully installed sqpOS on an 8Gb Sandisk stick using W32DiskImager.exe and it works fine thru the external USB. I want to go ahead and install LMS, but Windows is telling me that I only have 19.8Mb free of 30.4Mb. It's an 8Gb stick. What's going on? I assume LMS has no chance of installing and cataloging my 50Gb music library in the remaining space. Thanks.