SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by gegs »

pete_c wrote:...After writing the image; boot another computer into Linux and try using GParted to check the linux image and see if that helps?
Or re-boot the same computer with the GParted live CD.
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

Hi there , I have recently purchased a joggler and have installed your operating system onto it, please could anyone advise me how to get wifi to work on the joggler please? I have clicked settings / Network / wireless but noting happens?, I do t gt any pop up box asking for my password as would happen on a computer or IPad.

Any help on this one appreciated?, are all jogglers wifi or are some Ethernet only?

It says as follows

no network address has been assigned to the wireless interface (wlan0)

Thanks
monkums

Post by monkums »

You need to select wireless and then add you SSID and passphrase then press 'Apply changes and reboot'
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

Hello there thanks I have input both SSID and password but it makes no difference ?, the machine doesn't alter?, I reboot ed to accept the new settings but the same message shows as above?.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Try setting up the Joggler with ethernet first and if all goes well, go to the network settings and then switch to wireless. This has worked for me on at least one occasion.
pete

Post by pete »

Here I have one Joggler running said OS. I looked though and it was running version SqueezePlayer OS 1.07.

It was configured though for a wired interface. I then tried to configure the wireless piece.

I did try the same as you mentioned and got the same message that no network IP was assigned.

"No network address has been assigned to the Wireless interface (wlan0)"

I looked at the configuration via a quickie SSH session and it appeared that it was assigning the SSID and paraphrase to the eth0 interface.

I decided then to update the OS with the newest SqueezePlay OS version 1.09 to see what happens.

I am three floors down from my AP in the attic and have been watching the AP and not seeing anything.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

From the top of my head, it's best to go down the menu in order, ie. pick Wireless, then enter SSID, then password, then Apply. It shouldn't make any difference, but maybe I overlooked something.

If it doesn't work, hit the reset option and enter your details again. That really should work. Does for me, anyway.

If you still get nothing, try a wired connection (use reset option to go back to wired to be safe). If that works and wireless doesn't, let us know what router you are using.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Hours later I tried again.

I shut off the Squeezebox server here before testing.

Found that I needed to open up the firewall (my setup) to get to mysqueezeboxl dot com (picking initially "english" the connecting to mysqueezebox dot com).

I then tried connecting to the Ubiquiti AP that I have and could not. I turned on the SSID broadcast and I was able to connect right away.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

SSID broadcast is required at the moment. Wilberforce's version of the network applet doesn't need this as it uses wicd to manage the wireless, while mine just applies what you tell it to the config files.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
adrianr

Post by adrianr »

roobarb! wrote:
asm495 wrote:How hard do you think it would be to compile this for the Raspberry Pi? Although there is a Joggler in the bedroom I think the Pi would work better connected to the TV there using a phone as a remote control for it.
You never know until you try! ;)

The skin would need reworking for a 720/1080 display, though - otherwise you'll have a small SqueezePlay box in a corner of the screen. I saw a few development pics, but I'm not sure it was ever released.
Hi Roobarb and all,

Apologies for this being off-topic (in Joggler terms) but Roobarb's blog page for his Squeezeplay OS is closed to further comments, and the post I quoted above doesn't appear top have gone anywhere....

I have a Squeezebox Duet, but the Receiver has died and replacements are understandably hard to find now. As a result, I'm looking for an economical fix, and hopefully one that allows me to add a USB spdif converter to give hi-res playback via my standalone DAC. As a result, I have no need for a Touch-like device, as I will use other control methods (Duet Controller and iPeng). Hopefully, I'll soon win an Ebay auction for a cheap Joggler on which the touchscreen functionality has stopped working, but even having such a device with a working display is overkill for my needs. A more efficient solution is to have a Raspberry Pi instead, with HDMI only being used for initial setup and it then running as a headless device.

I'm OK at following clear instructions to set up Linux devices, when they apply closely to my own situation, but having to go off the plan usually results in disaster! I'm just a user, not a hacker, in reality:-) What really appeals to me in terms of efficiency, as well as cost, is having a version of Squeezeplay OS compiled and configured to run on a Pi, with something like a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 for the output, and all the hacks to Squeezeplay in place to do so. I wouldn't need the bloat of a full Linux distro on the Pi, and installing one would still need me to work out how to apply the patches. If Roobarb's OS on Pi is the route I end up trying to follow, would anyone be able to help with a guide as to how to get there?
gegs

Post by gegs »

@adrianr - It sounds like you don't want Squeezeplay on the Pi but LMS (Logitech Media Server), sometimes called Squeezebox Server. Squeezeplay is the user interface to a media server, so it wouldn't make sense running it on a headless device.

There is already a project elsewhere to run a Squeezebox Server on the Pi; link below:

http://www.squeezeplug.eu/
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Is there a way to get LMS/Squeezebox Server on RaspBMC yet?
adrianr

Post by adrianr »

Thanks for the reply, gegs, but no - I have LMS running on my home server already. All I want is the player functionality, but as Squeezeplay OS seems to have the easiest solutions in place (from my searching) for having a compatible player supporting 192/24 FLAC files it is very appealing to me, and it does not run anything else so will give smooth playback on a low-power device such as the Pi (just as with the Joggler).
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Your best bet for the pi in my opinion would be squeezelite not squeezeplay or SqPOS . Check out the forums at http://forums.slimdevices.com/ for various options for this.
I've not got a pi yet myself but one of the projects that interested me was called picoreplayer which is a small linux system small enough to fit in RAM so no accessing the memory card needed, this uses squeezelite to be a dedicated headless Squeezebox replacement. Plenty of other ways of doing it though, including just installing squeezelite on a headless install of Linux on the pi.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Thanks, it was really a server rather than a client for the Pi that I was looking for.
adrianr

Post by adrianr »

Thanks Jimbob. I had the idea that Squeezelite didn't support high bit-rate files, but a second look at https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/ shows I was clearly confused or asleep when I researched it first time around:-)

Also, I thought I would need to have a full linux distro for squeezelite to run in, but I now just found this http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... post733036 which looks to tick 'my boxes' about as well a SqPOS - it's equally as small and light.

So, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
adrianr

Post by adrianr »

dwl99 wrote:Thanks, it was really a server rather than a client for the Pi that I was looking for.
For dwl99, have a look at http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... queezeplug which probably meets your needs.

On the other hand, from what I've read it is very slow and a little limited. Someone mentions waiting all night for LMS to rescan it's database. I have what feels like a large collection of FLACs (>500GB), and add to it regularly, so I'd be very frustrated if I couldn't play new purchases a few minutes after loading them on my server! I advise something with a little more grunt to run LMS on, unless you have a small music collection and intend it to stay that way.
gegs

Post by gegs »

dwl99 wrote:Is there a way to get LMS/Squeezebox Server on RaspBMC yet?
It will run on Raspbian apparently and I asked Sam Nazarko if the same installation instructions would work for Raspbmc. He said he thought it would work, but it didn't.

He also said that if it didn't work in beta, it should work in final; it didn't.

I can see the Rpi stuff will grow legs - it might be best to move it to its own thread in "Offtopic".
Last edited by gegs on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Thanks guys, and sorry for going off-topic :-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

dwl99 wrote:Thanks guys, and sorry for going off-topic :-)
Sorry for continuing off-topic for one more post, but I thought this might interest the Raspberry Pi guys. It's how to build a Squeezelite-powered Pi device, with some speedy instructions on what to install on your Pi to make it work.