SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
dwl99

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by dwl99 »

Thanks - will give it a go even though my NAS is very slow even for music streaming. I guess this means that using it with the version of LMS on Squeezeplay OS would be a non-starter!
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Never trash anything :)
I restored a old Lacie Edmini v2 (network device with a 512GB SATA disk), I hacked it to enable ssh and nfs, and now I can have a good NFS library for playing mp3s from Joggler!
The process is quite simple (it take 10minutes of work), I don't want to bug anyone, if someone's interested I'll post some tips!
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

sijones wrote:Answered my own question, but not in the way I expected. Just in case this is of use to someone else...

Problem: wanted to use a folder of images on my Home Server as a screensaver, but didn't know how to point SqueezeplayOS to the appropriate folder.
Solution: there's a 3rd party plugin for Logitech Media Server that does this. It installs a Picture Gallery, which fetches images from elsewhere on the home network.

Plugin is called 'Gallery' by Michael Herger, info here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... lugin-v1-0 and also here: http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins/deta ... im-plugins .

Log into LMS through the web interface at <myservername>:9000. Go to 'settings' at the bottom right corner > Plugins tab > add 'http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins/repo.xml' under 'additional repositories'. This allows all the developer's plugins to appear as options to install under a submenu of 'Michael's Slim Stuff'. Tick the Gallery plugin and install it (think you just click 'apply' if memory serves).

Once it's installed (it appears as 'Picture Gallery') click on 'settings' and browse to your folder of pictures on your server to select it. Click 'Apply' again.

The rest was bit trial & error as the plugin doesn't have any instructions: I had to restart the Joggler to have the plugin show up under the Joggler / SqueezeplayOS 'Extras' menu. Once in there you can open Picture Gallery, and you'll see your chosen folder of images. Long-press it to open a submenu to tick it as one of your 'Favorites'.

FINALLY under the SqueezeplayOS 'Settings > Screen > Screensavers' menu you'll see the folder of images appear as an option alongside the various choices of clock etc. It'll either appear by its folder name, or simply as 'Favorites' (mine has shown up as both names, don't know why...).

Hope that brief explanation makes sense, and apologies if everyone apart from me knew all that lot already!
SUPERB! Thanks so much for posting these instructions. I too have been struggling to get the Image Viewer to display photos from a network share. I'm sure I had it working some time in the past but no matter what I try now it doesn't seem to work.

I just followed your instructions and the photos are showing up in a slideshow now. I really like the idea of turning it into a photoframe when it's not playing.

There doesn't appear to be any way to have the photos playback in a random order or to search subdirectories. I will look a bit further but it's also opened my eyes to the number of plugins that are available!

I really appreciate you taking the time to post this. Cheers.
sijones

Post by sijones »

Very glad that was useful! That'll be the first time I've actually contributed to this forum, rather than being a net drain with all my half-baked questions! I still suspect that Squeezeplay's built-in Image Viewer should be able to do this job, but I'm damned if I can work out the correct path to point Image Viewer to my home server... I'd still be intrigued to know if anyone's managed it.
johnnygal wrote:There doesn't appear to be any way to have the photos playback in a random order or to search subdirectories. I will look a bit further but it's also opened my eyes to the number of plugins that are available!
In the developer's thread someone asks him about randomness : http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... v1-0/page6 but it sounds like he didn't fancy tackling it. I've also only just twigged that there are all sorts of plug-ins out there - I've come late to Squeezeplay, and think it's an absolutely tremendous system (both the 'official' Logitech hardware and roobarb's tremendous version for the Joggler).

cheers,
Simon
auhnuld

Post by auhnuld »

I've loaded version 1.09 up.. flashed it into the device. For some reason only a usb speaker works for sound. I've tried on two different devices and the internal sound doesn't work. Any ideas on what to look for to track down why I get no sound from the internal audio?

thanks!!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I've made a discovery with my setup. I have a 4 port hub attached to my joggler. Three of the ports are occupied with usbs - sqpos, my music and speakers.

Today I had to rewrite my stick. My backup was quite old so I had a bit of work to do to on it. This involved a few exit cycles and each time my library disappeared.

When I couldn't get the library back I restarted LMS - a few times - and when I went into the settings I discovered that the library was empty because lms keeps moving the music source. So I would find my music usb scanned to, say usb 1, then when a reboot was necessary it would move to usb 2 and on a third occasion it was usb 0. Once I realised what was going on I reselected the new source in lms settings and the library appeared without the need for a reboot. I wonder if i've stumbled on the cause of my empty library.

UPDATE: Not sure if it helps anyone else but after a bit more playing I've found that this is definitely the cause of my missing library.
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gegs

Post by gegs »

auhnuld wrote:I've loaded version 1.09 up.. flashed it into the device. For some reason only a usb speaker works for sound. I've tried on two different devices and the internal sound doesn't work. Any ideas on what to look for to track down why I get no sound from the internal audio?

thanks!!
Have you changed the sound switch from USB to internal? There's a setting to do that. Why you would want to is a mystery to me though; I haven't used internal audio once since switching to USB.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

A really big thanks to Positivity for this post...

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 613#p16451

... it made me realise that I could add new music to my spqos music usb via the sudo command in winscp without disturbing my setup at all. This would never have occurred to me. Then by making sure lms is looking at the correct source it works like a charm. No frustrated powering up and down. Fantastic.
Positivity

Post by Positivity »

A really big thanks to Positivity for this post...
You're welcome - being new to WinSCP I didn't realise it had a built in terminal. So now there is no need to use PuTTY at all to remount the drive. It is a bit slow for updating a lot of music, but if I am just ripping a few CDs it is by far the quickest way of updating the Joggler.
Street

Post by Street »

Quick question.. Is it possible to run a Joggler with SqpOS and Logitech Media Server installed to the internal memory and have it access media from a USB hard drive attached through the USB port?
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Street wrote:Quick question.. Is it possible to run a Joggler with SqpOS and Logitech Media Server installed to the internal memory and have it access media from a USB hard drive attached through the USB port?
Yes it is. Personally I'd avoid running LMS on internal memory but it is possible.
Do you use the wifi or ethernet? If you use the ethernet you could replace the ethernet card in the joggler with a usb stick running the OS.
Street

Post by Street »

What would be the best way of doing it? Its not for me and the person thats going to be using it doesn't have a NAS or server available and only wireless access for it. Can it cause problems running LMS from the internal memory?
gegs

Post by gegs »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:If you use the ethernet you could replace the ethernet card in the joggler with a usb stick running the OS.
I'm sure you meant "replace the wi-fi card".
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Doh. Yes I did. To clarify the wifi card is actually plugged into a USB on the motherboard, remove this and you can install a USB key internally and boot from it, leaving the external port free for something else.
cgunners

Post by cgunners »

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me!

Ive been using a Joggler for about a year (with pnp) and love it. However, I find the internal flash a bit unreliable and have had to reflash it a few times. Last time I found it really difficult to reflash - had to use usb hub and blind type etc.

I decided that as I was only ever using squeezeplay I'd run squeezeplay os from a USB stick, so I bought a Sandisk SDCZ33 8Gb stick. I have been running it for the last few months and I love it. The best bit for me is the fact the squeeze server is built in so I could easily mount my nas drive and it streams my music with no delays etc and I can navigate really quick (previously I was running LMS from a Qnap nas and it was painfully slow!).

However, the other day my wife switched the wall socket off by mistake and it didnt reboot, it just stuck on the O2 logo. If I take out the usb stick it boots to Pnp III, but with the usb stick it wont move from the O2 logo. Its been left on the logo for hours, but nothing. I have tried reformatting the usb stick and rewriting squeezeplay OS, but still not working.

My Joggler does seem particularly fussy about USK sticks. Ive got 2 others that dont work either.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can get it up and running again from the usb stick, or do I just need to try other sticks? It sounds like there is a USB port inside the joggler, is it worth me trying that one?

I have tried searching for the answer, but it sounds like the only answer is to try more USB sticks, but that could get expensive!

I'd really appreciate any help.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I've had exactly this happen to me before, but rewriting my stick resolved it for me
I don't think using the internal USB would be any difference and you'll lose WiFi. Might be worth a go though if you use the ethernet port plus it's much neater and you gain a free port (I use the free port for charging my phone and ps3 controllers)

I've seen other folks on here suggest reformatting a stick using the HP format tool can rescue problem sticks, that might also be worth a try.

Once you have it going again, if you use the windows image tool thingy (the name I've forgotten, Win32discimage?) you can use this to backup your stick after you've set everything up again.
cgunners

Post by cgunners »

Thanks for the reply, I tried the HP reflashing tool but still stuck on the O2 screen. Really furstrating/disappointing. If it had never worked I wouldnt mind and would accept its probably the USB stick, but its been working so well for the last few months!

I do use wifi, so I guess thats out. Ive read about others soldering on an extra usb port. Would that make it more likely to accept a usb stick?
pete

Post by pete »

I would try another reformat of a another stick to see what happens first.

Maybe just it checking on the MMC memory is causing it to freeze at the O2 prompt. That said if you could boot up with Linux you could reformat / check the internal 1Gb MMC memory.

I always wondered it these issues were related to a bad EFI flash chip or just maybe a going MMC chip. You can replace the EFI boot flash chip but not the MMC chip.

Then maybe if you can boot into something another write to the EFI boot flash to see if that helps or replacing the EFI flash memory doing a hot swap thing with another Joggler. You can easily test the efi boot by swapping out the efi flash chip with a working Joggler.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Is that relevant though Pete when booting from internal flash (PNP3) is working? I've no idea because maybe I've been really lucky but both sticks I've tried have just worked on all 3 of my jogglers.
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah; I didn't see that part; thank-you Jimbob.
However, the other day my wife switched the wall socket off by mistake and it didnt reboot, it just stuck on the O2 logo. If I take out the usb stick it boots to Pnp III, but with the usb stick it wont move from the O2 logo. Its been left on the logo for hours, but nothing. I have tried reformatting the usb stick and rewriting squeezeplay OS, but still not working.

My Joggler does seem particularly fussy about USK sticks. Ive got 2 others that dont work either.
I have not had the issue of fussy USB sticks. Rewriting the efi boot flash piece probably wouldn't hurt; just be careful.

You can also test a bit your written image to stick by booting up with PnPIII. Telnet to the device and plug your usb stick in. It should automount the device and your should be able to see its contents; if not then the USB stick might be trashed.

If I recall though there was another forum user that did have a similiar issue. He replaced his efi boot flash and it seems to work better these days.

That said I would maybe first try a Microsoft minitools removal of the partition on the USB stick; reformat it to fat32 ; removal of the fat32 partition and another reformat (fat32); then do another format with HP tool.

There are some free USB stick repair tools out there in internetlandia which would actually check your USB stick if you want to give them a try. I did a quick google search and found this:

http://www.adata.com.tw/index.php?actio ... diy&lan=en

Here is a free but slow low level format tool that would also work on a USB stick.

http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low ... rmat-Tool/

There are a few image writers that work OK. I have OK luck (in MS Windows) with Win32diskimage, WinImage and USB Image tool. I would try USB Image tool first. After writing the image; boot another computer into Linux and try using GParted to check the linux image and see if that helps?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater