SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
DeanoX

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by DeanoX »

I was struggling with Network settings yesterday. I moved from Wireless to Wired and found I couldn't get it to disable the wireless interface (or forget the password) which meant I had 2 interfaces active no matter how many times I selected "return to defaults" and rebooted. With both interfaces active I couldn't access the internet (radio streams). I manually removed the wlan commands from /etc/network/interfaces and all was well.

Also with the inclusion of LMS ... specifying a static IP address would be a useful feature so that the URL for the web interface is fixed. I would specify a static lease in my DHCP...but my old HomeHub doesn't have the option.

Thanks
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

DeanoX wrote:I was struggling with Network settings yesterday. I moved from Wireless to Wired and found I couldn't get it to disable the wireless interface (or forget the password) which meant I had 2 interfaces active no matter how many times I selected "return to defaults" and rebooted. With both interfaces active I couldn't access the internet (radio streams). I manually removed the wlan commands from /etc/network/interfaces and all was well.

Also with the inclusion of LMS ... specifying a static IP address would be a useful feature so that the URL for the web interface is fixed. I would specify a static lease in my DHCP...but my old HomeHub doesn't have the option.

Thanks
There's a rather good network configuration applet for squeezeplay available in this thread that should do what you want
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516
sijones

Post by sijones »

Thanks everyone for the advice at the end of last week - just reporting back. I didn't have any luck flashing the Joggler from an external HDD, same as a USB stick - it hung at the same point I mentioned last week. When I reboot, the existing PnPIII is still there & working fine though.

Despite my compulsion to continue tinkering in order to understand what's going on, I've decided to simply carry on using Squeezeplay as an app inside the PnPIII environment (same net result for me anyway). Maybe there's something unusual or damaged about this particular Joggler that stops it taking the SqueezeplayOS flash - in which case I should leave well enough alone! "If you mess with something long enough, it WILL break..."

Cheers for the advice though!
Simon
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Very restrained! That is how it goes... Tinker, tinker, tinker... oops. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

roobarb! wrote:Very restrained! That is how it goes... Tinker, tinker, tinker... oops. :)
If you're lucky it's:

Tinker, tinker, tinker...oops...fix...tinker, tinker, tinker...oops...fix...

:lol:
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
slyboy76

Post by slyboy76 »

Ahhhhhhh........OK guys after getting some of my music updated with mp3tag squeeze play saw some of it (even though mp3tag confirmed my collection already had some embedded art work) but now again shows non. Its so weird that it just stopped. Do you think it is worth installing the is again?

Again thanks for he forums help so far.....
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

slyboy76 wrote:Ahhhhhhh........OK guys after getting some of my music updated with mp3tag squeeze play saw some of it (even though mp3tag confirmed my collection already had some embedded art work) but now again shows non. Its so weird that it just stopped. Do you think it is worth installing the is again?

Again thanks for he forums help so far.....
I'd reckon it's a problem with your LMS database... have you tried rebuilding it?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Minor tweak to v1.09 - the boot partition is now back to 32MB. When installing additional software from the command line, it was impossible to rebuild the initrd (initial ramdisk), which some things need to do. There should easily be sufficient space to perform that task now.

I've only changed the date, not the version number. If you're already running v1.09, I'd not bother to update (unless you feel this problem may bite you in the future).
pete

Post by pete »

roobarb,

Modified script a bit and installed it on the Openframe 2. It is working well concurrent with Openframe2 OS.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Arie

Post by Arie »

roobarb! wrote:Minor tweak to v1.09 - the boot partition is now back to 32MB..
Thanks Roobarb - installed it straight away!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Arie wrote:
roobarb! wrote:Minor tweak to v1.09 - the boot partition is now back to 32MB..
Thanks Roobarb - installed it straight away!
Great. It makes sense - the saving of a few MB isn't worth it against the inconvenience of not being able to install certain things.
Arie

Post by Arie »

Today, I added an optical output to my Joggler as instructed in the wiki pages (just google for joggler add spdif...). Under PNP3 (with EDO), I edited the config files just like the instructions in the wiki and it worked straight away. But under Squeeplay OS running the Wilberforce EDO modification (so you have USB sound in bitperfect hires too), it took me some time to work out how to both enable spdif out en disable the internal speakers.
For other noobs like me who may find this difficult, here is a solution:

As Papaiannis explained on http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=603:
Add the following line to /etc/rc.local, just before the line with "exit 0":
amixer -q -c 0 sset 'IEC958',0 unmute

Now to mute internal speakers also insert the line
amixer -q -c 0 sset 'Master',0 mute
slyboy76

Post by slyboy76 »

First of all thanks for all the advice offered up so far. I decided to run the squeezeos system on one joggler and use pnp3 on the other. Lms is installed on the squeeze is jog and is working fine, streaming content to the pnp3 jog. Only weird thing now is the squeeze jog can play internet radio but cannot play the MP3 music. It gives me the "problem:can't play file" Gray box, but shows the track details behind. I've tried rescanning the library but no go. All the while the other jog is working. Any ideas?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

slyboy76 wrote:Only weird thing now is the squeeze jog can play internet radio but cannot play the MP3 music. It gives me the "problem:can't play file" Gray box, but shows the track details behind. I've tried rescanning the library but no go. All the while the other jog is working. Any ideas?
Well I'd be interested to know why this happens.

When my sqpos joggler was running off wifi, the files being empty would happen to me every couple of days. The radio is unaffected. It's now hooked up to the router and is much more stable. However, if anyone fiddles with it and it gets switched off, it can take several reboots to get it to recognise the library again. Rescanning just causes massive issues with lms - ie it doesn't scan, lots of aborted scans. I never rescan anymore.

I posted a short way up that the only way I can get it to recognise my library again is to unplug it, pull to power from the back of the joggler and wait a while - certainly more than 10 seconds (at this point I also try saying a little prayer, crossing my fingers and toes, throwing salt over my shoulder, hopping on one foot...). Not really a solution or foolproof.

EDIT: When you say the other joggler is working I assume you mean internet radio not tracks from your lms?
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Yes - I certainly recognise the issues with rescans & LMS.
It's a real pain getting it to recognise new music and it generally takes days to settle down again afterwards.
So try to keep rescans to a minimum but obviously after a while it is unavoidable.
The "instant update" plugin doesn't seem to work either. :(

Haven't tried any of your tricks to make it work though!!!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Fishy wrote:The "instant update" plugin doesn't seem to work either. :(
Is this the thing that's supposed to pick up new tracks? If so, I 'think' it might work for me. I added a few tracks to my usb last week. Then lost the entire library on reboot. Never got the chance to rescan but when it eventually recognised the library the tracks were there. Somehow. Or are you talking about something else?

Some time ago I tried to use lms on PnP III as my main server. After an entire evening of failed/aborted scans I gave up. Soon after offbeatdave fiddled with some coding and the next time I tried, it scanned my entire usb in about 30 seconds. For the entire time I had that set up not once did it lose the library. It was amazing. But I didn't want to knacker up the internal memory on that joggler so I moved to spqos.

I wouldn't change from sqpos however as it's brilliant. But I do wish that I could get lms to be less erratic.
Fishy wrote:Haven't tried any of your tricks to make it work though!!!
Hee hee, nothing wrong with a bit of superstitious mumbo jumbo! :D
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Over time I also found similar issues. Manually deleting the cache folder did the trick for me. You need to do it in putty and stop LMS first. Then when you restart LMS it automatically does a full scan and for me at least the problem was gone

Edited to add the commands you need:

Code: Select all

sudo service logitechmediaserver stop
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache
sudo service logitechmediaserver start
I do find it weird that with all the different names LMS has had over the years, that the service and its data folder have different names and had to check I'd typed this correctly
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

JimbobVFR400, thank you! I've added the code you kindly provided. Fingers crossed. How often have you needed to do this?

EDIT: i checked my joggler after adding the code and the the library could not be found. Shut down using my method. Powered up and library was there on first boot. Between my spellcasting and your code this looks promising. Cheers!
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I last did the cache delete about a month ago and it's been stable since.
I'm using the DNLA plug in and also scanning a 2nd share with videos for watching TV series down loaded from bit torrent on my ps3 so I rescan 4 or 5 times a week.
I have a theory that the database files get corrupted over time and clearing and rebuilding sorts this out, something even a full clear and rescan from the LMS doesn't seem to fix.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Jimbob - Excellent, a great help.
I'll try this over the weekend.
Thanks