SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
slyboy76

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by slyboy76 »

Any suggestion on the missing album art work within squeeze is?
DeanoX

Post by DeanoX »

I'm sure when I was first playing with mine and trying the various OS options at least once or twice I had to flash back to stock OS before I could reflash to something else.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

slyboy76 wrote:People this squeeze os solved all my issues with the pnp iii release. The new open peak setup seemed to cause drop outs when playing music in squeeze. Anyway I am happy with this little os apart from one thing. I have the installed to internal usb and have a 32 gig usb pen drive in the external (same setup as pnpiii). The issue is the music art work id missing even though it shows up under my old setup.....any ideas ?....
How is your artwork stored? Do you embed in your files or have a file in the same directory as the album.

There's a setting within LMS where you can configure how this works and what filename its expecting. Look on the advanced tab and select formatting from the drop down.

If your artwork is embedded in your tunes then mp3tag is a cracking tool for checking this. Also worth having for tagging your files anyway
Arie

Post by Arie »

Got SqueezePlay OS up and running from a usb stick in no time thanks to the very clear instructions on Birdsonawire's site (many thanks!).

But: I have a problem reaching the Joggler via putty or telnet. I enabled SSH on the joggler by automatic installation from the settings-advanced settings-additional features menu. When I subsequently use putty or telnet I get error messages that indicate that the required service on the joggler is not available. Can it be that SSH is not really installed? I get no error messages during installation.

Things I tried that all didn't help:
- Removal and reinstallation
- On the same Jogger, PNP3 is on the internal memory - when I boot that I have no problems with telnet access.
- Also a restart after SSH insallation does not help.
- I can ping the joggler just fine and it does have access to the LMS on my PC.
- Don't know if it's relevant, but when I look at the installation log file (which is also in the additional features menu) it says: "dpkg-failed to open package info file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' for reading. No such file or folder."

I would much appreciate your help - I'm really stuck here. Without SSH, I'm not able to install the EDO app.
Arie

Post by Arie »

SOLVED! Apologies for the 'spam' this generates.
I did a full reinstall of the Squeezeplay OS on the same usb stick, installed SSH and now it works. The installation logfile also doesn't mention the 'dpkg failed to open...' now but instead gives lots of information on the steps in the ssh installation. So yes, the log file was a clue...
slyboy76

Post by slyboy76 »

Jim bob I have the artwork embedded I believe. I also dropped a few jpegs in also in a few albums to see if that works. Ill check on those settings when I get home. Its just weird that I had no issues with squeeze in pnp3
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

slyboy76 wrote:Jim bob I have the artwork embedded I believe. I also dropped a few jpegs in also in a few albums to see if that works. Ill check on those settings when I get home. Its just weird that I had no issues with squeeze in pnp3
The default settings look for cover.jpg amongst other file names, so I'd suggest trying that filename.

When you first scanned did the scan finish without any errors, you can see the scan results on the "information" tab. The final step is caching artwork so if the scan doesn't work or doesn't complete that may explain things.

Finally whenever you change artwork or add files for missing artwork the scanner only tends to pick up the changes by doing a full "clear and rescan" in fact it may very well be worth doing a full clear and rescan first before you try anything else. The fact the art worked before makes me think it's probably the first scan that went wrong.
Arie

Post by Arie »

Now that I've got Squeezeplay OS running with the LMS server on it, I'd like to add a HDD to put the music library on. I attached a 3.5hdd with NTFS filesystem via the usb hub that also holds the usb stick it boots on.
The disk is not mounted automatically. I now succeeded to mount manually using

> sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /media/USBHDD -o uid=1000,gid=1000,utf8,dmask=027,fmask=137

Most manuals indicate that on ubuntu, one should mount as ntfs-3g, but the driver for that is not installed on Squeezeplay OS. Does it make a difference?

I'm slowly getting forward with this but my unix knowledge is rather rusty. Any advice from users who have a similar setup would be highly welcomed.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Not sure if anyone will find this helpful. When I power down my SQPOS joggler (I try not to do this but sometimes it's inevitable), I always have problems on start up with LMS recognising my music usb so my music library will be empty, no matter how long I give it to make the connection. This may result in a few power up/down cycles until it gets it's act together. Today I discovered that if I not only power down but unplug socket AND remove the cable from the back of the joggler it will almost immediately find my library. This may be the normal way to power down - if so, it's taken me ages to figure it out!

Edit: nope.
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Is there a way to make the Quit button shutdown the Joggler directly without the need for a submenu? I don't think the Reboot button works anyway and I have never felt the need to use the Relaunch button.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

dwl99 wrote:Is there a way to make the Quit button shutdown the Joggler directly without the need for a submenu? I don't think the Reboot button works anyway and I have never felt the need to use the Relaunch button.
Nope, it's hard coded. Reboot works perfectly for me and Relaunch is handy for if someone's changed a setting that requires a restart of SqueezePlay, but not the whole OS. It's only one more tap!

If you're really bothered by it, have a peek at the code for the JogglerQuit applet. You should be able copy and paste and then edit the code for the native version (which only quits back to the UI) into the sqpOS section, thus losing the submenu. But remember to back it up, because an update would undo your work!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
DeanoX

Post by DeanoX »

Am I right in thinking that Relaunch doesn't restart LMS when installed ? (just Squeezeplay as above?)
martokeen

Post by martokeen »

Hi fellow Joggleteers,

I've got a question about custom wallpapers. Currently I SSH in manually and copy backgrounds from a USB stick to:

/opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/SetupWallpaper/wallpaper

However, now I'm up to five Jogglers, I don't really want to do this manually anymore!

I noticed that there is an option to add wallpapers at the server end via the web setup:

Web Options \ Advanced \ Customize Device

However, having added images here, they don't show up on my Jogglers. Perhaps this is because it is expecting different resolutions destined for official products...... Has anyone else got this setting working? Or perhaps can suggest a better method?

All the best, Marto
davidismynaim

Post by davidismynaim »

I know I am never satisfied, here is the next challenge...

I have squeezeplayer working brilliantly on my joggler, with Wilberforce's port of triodes plugin so all good :)

But now would love to be able to change the default vu meter display on 'now playing'.

There is some discussion and evidence of alternative (very nice looking) vu meters for the touch.

I have tried both patch installer and the custom clock applet (with the 30 day trial licence) but can't find the alternative vu styles. This may be due to restrictions on the 30 day trial. But thought before buying on a 'wing and prayer' as to whether it would work, want to see if others had been down this route. My fear is the sizing of the graphics will be all wrong, or worse it simply won't work. I could probably fix the sizing issues if it is a simple matter of finding where the graphic resources are stored, resizing them in photoshop and saving back in the right place...

urls for info are

http://unites.un.funpic.de/VU/ seems to be a resource xml feed for the styles?

youtube video of touch running alt vu meters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3r5AoWNW_s

and finally a detailed forum discussion I've found..

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... digital-VU

After reading this post, I am wondering whether the problem is that these XML resources are coded up for touch (fab4) rather than squeezeplay (I assume joggler's id is squeezeplay not touch?

Ideas?
davidismynaim

Post by davidismynaim »

martokeen wrote:Hi fellow Joggleteers,

I've got a question about custom wallpapers. Currently I SSH in manually and copy backgrounds from a USB stick to:

/opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/SetupWallpaper/wallpaper

However, now I'm up to five Jogglers, I don't really want to do this manually anymore!

I noticed that there is an option to add wallpapers at the server end via the web setup:

Web Options \ Advanced \ Customize Device

However, having added images here, they don't show up on my Jogglers. Perhaps this is because it is expecting different resolutions destined for official products...... Has anyone else got this setting working? Or perhaps can suggest a better method?

All the best, Marto
I wonder if your problem is similar to mine...difference between capabilities 'coded' for only touch (target="fab4") in XML reosurces?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I tried this too & failed. My jpg files were 800x480 but I suspect it might work if you resize the files to the native screen res of a Squeezebox Touch (480 x 272).

I used the same method as you for copying wallpaper files but it takes no time if you use winSCP instead of plain old ssh.
Last edited by dwl99 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

roobarb! wrote:
dwl99 wrote:Is there a way to make the Quit button shutdown the Joggler directly without the need for a submenu? I don't think the Reboot button works anyway and I have never felt the need to use the Relaunch button.
Nope, it's hard coded. Reboot works perfectly for me and Relaunch is handy for if someone's changed a setting that requires a restart of SqueezePlay, but not the whole OS. It's only one more tap!

If you're really bothered by it, have a peek at the code for the JogglerQuit applet. You should be able copy and paste and then edit the code for the native version (which only quits back to the UI) into the sqpOS section, thus losing the submenu. But remember to back it up, because an update would undo your work!
Thanks for the info, I think I'll just live with it :-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

DeanoX wrote:Am I right in thinking that Relaunch doesn't restart LMS when installed ? (just Squeezeplay as above?)
Nope, just SqueezePlay.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Arie

Post by Arie »

To get Squeezeplay OS running with ntfs-3g, I had to go back to V1.07 because V1.09 has not enough space in the boot partition. The changelog mentions for 1.09: 'Reduced boot partition size again, now down to 16MB.' I followed all the tips of Guido on http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/squeezeplay-os (apt-get remove various packages, some rm etc) but to no avail: the boot partition was still to small. I did not try to enhance the size of the boot partion as this seems to be a rather delicate job (to me at least)

In 1.07, the boot partition size was still 28MB. With that version (downloaded from http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... zeplay/os/) , I had no problem installing ntfs-3g. Perhaps this finding can help others who run into the same problem.

Roobarb!: thanks for all your great work on SqueezePlay OS! it's really great to be able to run both squeezeplay and the server on the Joggler from a stick.
In a future update, you might consider giving back some space to the boot partition.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Arie wrote:In a future update, you might consider giving back some space to the boot partition.
If it's causing issues as you describe, I definitely will - the space saving isn't worth it if adding something like ntfs support is scuppered.

In fact, I could just re-release v1.09 with revised sizes. I'll do that today if I get chance.