SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
offbeatdave

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by offbeatdave »

roobarb! wrote:Squeezelite on sqpOS feels like something for the tinkerers rather than a mainstream addition, but I'm still considering where to draw the line.
I'd say that it isn't necessary on sqpOS to be honest. It is only really "needed" on PnP III where a few people want to do otherstuff with SQP still running in the background.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

offbeatdave wrote:
roobarb! wrote:Squeezelite on sqpOS feels like something for the tinkerers rather than a mainstream addition, but I'm still considering where to draw the line.
I'd say that it isn't necessary on sqpOS to be honest. It is only really "needed" on PnP III where a few people want to do otherstuff with SQP still running in the background.
True, although the native playback of AAC is pretty cool. :)

I'm starting to think that I'll halt at providing the libraries. I was going to go with push-button installation, but then it quickly snowballs into needing config options (such as which server to use) some code to generate a sensible alternative MAC address, picking a name, deciding whether to use a name extension... blah, blah. And, as you say, on a one-purpose-system it's really superfluous.

If anyone wanted to add it, they just need to download the binary, stick it somewhere like /usr/local/bin and add a line to .xinitrc to get it started. It makes a nice easy first play on the command line too, and I'm all for tinkering!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Kernel 3.2.26jog1 is building at the moment. First time it's been built on this VM, so I hope it works!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:Kernel 3.2.26jog1 is building at the moment. First time it's been built on this VM, so I hope it works!
Oops. Forgot about the make-kpkg bug that stops some headers being built correctly.

Kernel 3.2.26jog2 here we come! :roll:
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Thanks peeps.

I had skimmed the squeezelite thread and thought it actually looked quite complicated (beyond me). Reading this...
roobarb! wrote:I'm starting to think that I'll halt at providing the libraries. I was going to go with push-button installation, but then it quickly snowballs into needing config options (such as which server to use) some code to generate a sensible alternative MAC address, picking a name, deciding whether to use a name extension... blah, blah. And, as you say, on a one-purpose-system it's really superfluous.
has confirmed my suspicions to leave well alone. Thanks roobarb!... I think. ;)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Thanks peeps.

I had skimmed the squeezelite thread and thought it actually looked quite complicated (beyond me). Reading this...
roobarb! wrote:I'm starting to think that I'll halt at providing the libraries. I was going to go with push-button installation, but then it quickly snowballs into needing config options (such as which server to use) some code to generate a sensible alternative MAC address, picking a name, deciding whether to use a name extension... blah, blah. And, as you say, on a one-purpose-system it's really superfluous.
has confirmed my suspicions to leave well alone. Thanks roobarb!... I think. ;)
Ahh, all that cruft is what I'd have to do! If you wanted to try it yourself, on the new version of sqpOS you'd just grab that binary, head to the command line and run something like:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n SomeName -m de:ad:be:ef:ca:ff
Then your sqpOS system would appear to be TWO devices to Logitech Media Server! :D

Looks like EMGD is compiling this time. Phew.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Ditching ext4. It just crapped out on me in a way ext2 has never done.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

SqueezePlay OS v1.09 is available now! I'll update the opening post when I'm not using a phone. :)

Probably the biggest change is that it now supports the WNDA3200 dual-band 802.11abgn wifi stick, which can be mounted internally, replacing the RT2700. I'll make a proper post about it in the Hardware section soon.
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

roobarb! wrote:SqueezePlay OS v1.09 is available now! I'll update the opening post when I'm not using a phone. :)

Probably the biggest change is that it now supports the WNDA3200 dual-band 802.11abgn wifi stick, which can be mounted internally, replacing the RT2700. I'll make a proper post about it in the Hardware section soon.
does that mean I can fix the problem of not able to connected with the server after installation?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

cszhy wrote:
roobarb! wrote:SqueezePlay OS v1.09 is available now! I'll update the opening post when I'm not using a phone. :)

does that mean I can fix the problem of not able to connected with the server after installation?
That depends on the cause of your connection problem - if you're having difficulties with wireless, the WNDA3200 does seem very robust. You'll have to remind me what issues you were having again.
mdolan

Post by mdolan »

Still loving this. Got it running on 2 of the 3 jogglers (3rd one running XBMC).

Couple of quick questions though:

1) Is it possible to "backup" the settings (joggler name, Wifi settings, menu configs etc)? The reason I ask is that one of the jogglers is in the boys bedroom and they are still a little young to know the importance of shutting it down correctly....

Which leads nicely into question 2

2) On some improper shutdowns it seems to want to run fsck (fair enough). But to do that, you need to press a key. Which is a little difficult with no keyboard :-). Is there any way round that...?

Cheers,
Mike
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

mdolan wrote: 2) On some improper shutdowns it seems to want to run fsck (fair enough). But to do that, you need to press a key. Which is a little difficult with no keyboard :-). Is there any way round that...?
edit /etc/default/rcS

should be something like

Code: Select all

# automatically repair filesystems with inconsistencies during boot
FSCKFIX=no
set it to yes. This would be a good default I guess since it's hard to press a key as you say (I recently changed this on my distros)
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

My joggler runs SqpOS v1.07 and everything works well.
I am now deciding whether to install v1.09 or not.
1. Which ubuntu version is SqpOS v1.09 based on?
2. Did you stick with ext4 or ext2?
3. Is the free memory left by v1.09 different from that left by v1.07?
4. Is there any difference as far as audio playback is concerned?
5. Are there any significant differences in performances?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

papaiannis wrote:My joggler runs SqpOS v1.07 and everything works well.
I am now deciding whether to install v1.09 or not.
1. Which ubuntu version is SqpOS v1.09 based on?
2. Did you stick with ext4 or ext2?
3. Is the free memory left by v1.09 different from that left by v1.07?
4. Is there any difference as far as audio playback is concerned?
5. Are there any significant differences in performances?
I'd say stay with v1.07. If you're not using Squeezelite (or are happy installing the libraries yourself) and have no need to replace your wireless card with a 5GHz / 802.11n one, you won't miss anything.

To answer your questions directly:

1. Still on Lucid, cos it's solid and supported til 2015.
2. ext2. ext4 went dodgy on me.
3. Nope.
4. Nope.
5. Nope.

I would advise users on v1.05 to upgrade, though. There were some important changes to temporary storage in v1.07.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

roobarb! wrote: I would advise users on v1.05 to upgrade, though. There were some important changes to temporary storage in v1.07.
If I can't remember which version I'm using is there a easy way to check? Running off USB if that helps.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:
roobarb! wrote: I would advise users on v1.05 to upgrade, though. There were some important changes to temporary storage in v1.07.
If I can't remember which version I'm using is there a easy way to check? Running off USB if that helps.
Hehe, you know, there's not! I usually boot with 'verbose' grub, where it appears at startup. If you have ssh installed, the version number is in the file /etc/sqpos.ver.

There's something to add for SqueezePlay v1.54! :)
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

On the contrary that sounds easy enough. I did wonder if the installation log might show something but I have a putty client on my nexus 7 anyway

Edit I'm on 1.05 looks like I need to dismantle my joggler and do an upgrade then at some point. I already have the files for 1.09 as I've just sorted a joggler for a mate who was rather taken with mine.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:On the contrary that sounds easy enough. I did wonder if the installation log might show something but I have a putty client on my nexus 7 anyway
Ah, super. I wasn't sure how easy 'easy' should be. ;)
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

@roobarb
Thanks a lot for answering.
How can I obtain a verbose boot?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

papaiannis wrote:@roobarb
Thanks a lot for answering.
How can I obtain a verbose boot?
You need to log in over SSH and take a look at the contents of /boot/boot.nsh. Wherever you see 'grubq', just change it to 'grub'. That uses the version of grub that can write to the screen and you'll see all the usual boot text whizz by.