SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
davidismynaim

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by davidismynaim »

recently dusted off the 2 joggler I acquired about 18 months ago, and loaded them both with SqueezePlay OS. Much better and more stable then the version I was using a while back on the native OS. Top credit to roobarb! for his amazing work here!

I have one unit with my main hifi, and it is currently acting as the main streamer (wireless!!) to my Audiolab M-DAC connected up via USB thanks Wilberforce for your port of triodes software, enabling 24/96 playback :-)

I use the other in the living room more a display of cover-art, I use choose players to pick up the actual transporter (used as both streamer, dac and digital input for TV/DVD etc) This works a treat but before the conversion i had the screensaver show the clock, which is great and become our main time reference in the living room.

Now to my problem, on stopping/turning off squeezebox transporter the clock does display for about 5 seconds then the joggler goes completely blank. If I touch it the display of the clock reappears, but this is not the behaviour I would ideally like. I have checked all settings to do with screensaver and display standby is disabled.

Any ideas why this happens. my other joggler connected to the M-DAC switches to the clock and stays on the clock until I wake it up again.

Thanks for any ideas

Cheers
David
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Don't use the off button in the top left unless you want to turn off the screen. Set the "when stopped" screen saver to be the clock you want and it will display after whatever you select in the delay settings. All of these options can be found in settings > screen
davidismynaim

Post by davidismynaim »

thank Jim. I am not touching the off button. I have set the delay and the when stopped screen saver to my chosen clock. When I turn off the transporter, the joggler reverts to the clock but then after a few seconds the screen goes blank.

There is another issue with this joggler, which I doubt is related, but in case it is...the top 1cm of the touch screen seems to have developed a fault...it displays fine, but does not respond to any touch. Annoying as squeezeplay relies on this region for back and now playing. I have attached a keyboard to navigate around the settings, and once set right now longer need touch. Now if anyone knows how to change the effective region of the screen to exclude this faulty section, ie is there environment setting that define the area of the screen or is it much lower level than this? Not a major issue but would be nice to have complete control from the touch screen.

Cheers
jogglerhase

Question to roobarb - sorry, a little off topic...

Post by jogglerhase »

Hi Roobarb;
may be you can help? I am running stock OS w/ PNPIII. I would like to have an icon, which executes something similar to when I would enter it from the telnet command line.

So, I would like to run the folloing command via an Icon instead of commandline:

Code: Select all

squeezelite -n Squeezelite -m aa:0e:8e:24:fe:1a &
This is what I did (copycat) to get an icon doing this:
1) create folder in
media/gforums/webserver/starter/squeezelite
w/ entries
- language.xml
which consists of:

<language>
<mm en="SqueezeLite" />
</language>
- squeezelite.cgi
which consists of:

#!/bin/sh
echo "Content-type: text/plain"
echo ""
/usr/bin/squeezelite -n Squeezelite -m aa:0e:8e:24:fe:1a &
- squeezelite.png (which contains the icon)

2) add entry in /media/appshop/applications.xml:

<app id="squeezelite" loc="http://localhost:80/starter/squeezelite/" app="squeezelite.cgi" icon="squeezelite.png"/>
-> The icon appears after reboot, but Squeezelite does not start when I press it...

What am I missing / doing wrong here???
(I read some readme from you in the squeezeplay environment (Little App) and you mention something about specific entries in the /media/appshop/applications.xml file; namely ext="1" and standalone="1" to be used. I tried these also w/o success...)

Any ideas?
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

Hello roobarb!:

really appreciated for your OS, you know the only reason I use joggler is squeezebox play, I love it!!! I even think joggler with a working squeezeboxos is better than the original squeezebox touch.
but as there is a "great fire wall" in China which blocked thousands of brilliant radio station, now we have only very limited resource to listen.
we Chinese squeezebox fans have to use it through VPN.
is it possible to add a l2tp vpn client in the next version of squeezeplayOS and let people to choose it at the beginning?
that would be great if we can listen to all the radio station in squeeze network
P.S I'm using xubuntu now, its strange that some of the radio are back in the same version of squeezeplay , but its not all the station in squeeze network
do you know why?
thanks
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

cszhy wrote:is it possible to add a l2tp vpn client in the next version of squeezeplayOS and let people to choose it at the beginning?
I'm afraid that's not something I'm going to add - I want to keep it as lean as possible. You could certainly add it yourself (just check for instructions on the Ubuntu website).

When it gets to more specific requests like this, outside of what most people would benefit from, I think it's more appropriate to create a page in the wiki about installing it, or link to instructions.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Fishy wrote:No, sadly Youtube is still down for me with the "no streams found" error message.
Fishy, I've been using youtube on my beloved iphone and sending music to the joggler via airplay and it works incredibly well - sometimes better as I don't have to go to the joggler! ;)

However, I've discovered that the plugin isn't quite dead - it's erratic and almost unusable but DOES work. It seems to come up with the 'no stream found' error message with most, if not every track but if you click on the plus sign in the top right hand corner and click play in the next menu, in most instances it will eventually buffer, show the track slide bar and play. It only refused to play a couple of tracks for me but the process was a faff and time consuming. Not sure if that's better than nothing...
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Just started building the next release. Hope I can remember what I'm doing!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Is anybody seeing any problems with the AirPlay component on sqpOS these days? I'm checking the bug fixes for Shairport and there's nothing that has been submitted for the C port that I use. In fact, I am streaming music straight from an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1 to the Joggler right now and it's working perfectly.
hamphh

Output volume of external Interface

Post by hamphh »

Hello everyone, I'm using the SqueezePlay OS with my Joggler and external USB audio (Behringer 222 (identical to 202)). My problem is, that the output volume is not bettern as the one from the internal interface. Is there a way to increase the volume of the external interface?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

hamphh wrote:Hello everyone, I'm using the SqueezePlay OS with my Joggler and external USB audio (Behringer 222 (identical to 202)). My problem is, that the output volume is not bettern as the one from the internal interface. Is there a way to increase the volume of the external interface?
Give the Settings > Audio Settings > Interface Configuration limiter option a go. I can't remember if this was specifically internal (I think it might have been), but worth a try.

If there's no change you'll need to ssh in and use the 'alsamixer' command to check levels.
gegs

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:Is anybody seeing any problems with the AirPlay component on sqpOS these days? I'm checking the bug fixes for Shairport and there's nothing that has been submitted for the C port that I use. In fact, I am streaming music straight from an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1 to the Joggler right now and it's working perfectly.
Below is a link to my post on the PnPIII thread; it's more applicable to this thread but was written in response to questions about appropriate USB sticks to use for the Joggler. It mentions my recent problems and successes with Airplay on sqpOS (I meant to post the link here too but forgot).

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 819#p14819
gegs

Re: Output volume of external Interface

Post by gegs »

hamphh wrote:Hello everyone, I'm using the SqueezePlay OS with my Joggler and external USB audio (Behringer 222 (identical to 202)). My problem is, that the output volume is not bettern as the one from the internal interface. Is there a way to increase the volume of the external interface?
The Behringer has S/PDIF, phono and 3.5mm headphone output. Which one are you using?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:
roobarb! wrote:Is anybody seeing any problems with the AirPlay component on sqpOS these days? I'm checking the bug fixes for Shairport and there's nothing that has been submitted for the C port that I use. In fact, I am streaming music straight from an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1 to the Joggler right now and it's working perfectly.
Below is a link to my post on the PnPIII thread; it's more applicable to this thread but was written in response to questions about appropriate USB sticks to use for the Joggler. It mentions my recent problems and successes with Airplay on sqpOS (I meant to post the link here too but forgot).

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 819#p14819
Thanks, gegs. That's certainly a weird issue, but not something that's specifically AirPlay related, so I'll not add it to the worry list. ;)

Right now I'm playing a track on the iMac in front of me, on the test Joggler over AirPlay and simultaneously playing on an Apple TV 3. It's all in sync and is pretty solid. Spent some time this morning figuring out the correct buffer size for Shairport on the Joggler. 271, if you're interested. :D

There does seem to be a bit of an issue adding the Apple TV to the multiple speaker list in iTunes 11.0.1 once a connection is already running with the Joggler (or, actually, any other AirPlay device). The iMac and the Joggler stay in perfect sync while the Apple TV is way out. Restarting the track usually corrects this, though.

Amusingly, the Joggler behaves more consistently than this Apple TV does!
themystical

Post by themystical »

roobarb! wrote:Just started building the next release. Hope I can remember what I'm doing!
Roobarb may I suggest that some of the sterling work done by Wilberforce is included in your next release if feasible? I was thinking partcularly of his Amixer tar and his port of Triode's EDO? I am sure other users of SqPOS will find these very useful.
hamphh

Re: Output volume of external Interface

Post by hamphh »

gegs wrote:
The Behringer has S/PDIF, phono and 3.5mm headphone output. Which one are you using?
I'm using the standard ouput (RCA). But I increased the USB output level with alsamixer from 80 to 100 and now the volume is ok. Thanks.
gegs

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:...Thanks, gegs. That's certainly a weird issue, but not something that's specifically AirPlay related, so I'll not add it to the worry list. ;)
Yeah, it is weird. There seems to be a lot of tail-chasing to fix problems that are simply USB stick related and nothing to do with the (excellent, by the way) software.

I've always sought sticks with high read/write rates but bought the Sandisk Cruzer on a whim because it was so cheap. My extreme disappointment with the very slow image writing speed changed to abundant joy when everything worked so smoothly thereafter. Maybe slower sticks work better with the Joggler; that's my experience with the Sandisk anyway.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:
roobarb! wrote:...Thanks, gegs. That's certainly a weird issue, but not something that's specifically AirPlay related, so I'll not add it to the worry list. ;)
Yeah, it is weird. There seems to be a lot of tail-chasing to fix problems that are simply USB stick related and nothing to do with the (excellent, by the way) software.

I've always sought sticks with high read/write rates but bought the Sandisk Cruzer on a whim because it was so cheap. My extreme disappointment with the very slow image writing speed changed to abundant joy when everything worked so smoothly thereafter. Maybe slower sticks work better with the Joggler; that's my experience with the Sandisk anyway.
Strangely, there's a similar situation with the Raspberry Pi too. The fastest, more expensive SD cards don't always perform as quickly or reliably on the Pi as cheaper ones do. I was using a really nice Sandisk SD card with the Pi and it failed so often. In comparison, one of their cheap cards has been perfect!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

roobarb! wrote:Just started building the next release. Hope I can remember what I'm doing!
Hi roobarb! Sorry for yet another noob question but when your new version is ready will i be able to update within squeezeplay itself (like i do squeezeplay in pnpiii) and so keep all my settings, plugins etc or will i have to create a new image. Thanks.

Also, i read that you're adding bits to help make the installation of squeezelite (or whatever it's called) simpler - which is much appreciated. I'm just wondering how much work i'll still need to do to get that up and running. I've had a read through that thread but didn't really understand much of it. Maybe i need to re-read it!!

Airplay - not used this much over christmas but it's always been immediately available and run perfectly for me. Brilliant feature which i couldn't do without. Thank you!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:
Hi roobarb! Sorry for yet another noob question but when your new version is ready will i be able to update within squeezeplay itself (like i do squeezeplay in pnpiii) and so keep all my settings, plugins etc or will i have to create a new image. Thanks.
If you want to upgrade the base OS, then it's a start-from-scratch job. Changes made to the base (ie. when SqueezePlay OS itself increases a version) will almost always require a fresh start because I'll be changing things like the kernel or video drivers. The next version will have kernel 3.2.26, the new v1.16 EMGD video drivers and use ext4 as the filesystem. These aren't things that can be changed in a reliable and practical way on an already running system, especially if you're running on the internal memory. There's just not space for all of the build tools that are required.

That said, unless you're a bit of a version junkie, there's no need to upgrade the OS itself unless you're having problems with something. The next version of SqueezePlay itself will be v1.53 and that will run just fine on SqueezePlay OS v1.07. I'd say not to bother with a full upgrade until you're in the mood to start afresh.
ilovemyjoggler wrote:Also, i read that you're adding bits to help make the installation of squeezelite (or whatever it's called) simpler - which is much appreciated. I'm just wondering how much work i'll still need to do to get that up and running. I've had a read through that thread but didn't really understand much of it. Maybe i need to re-read it!!
I'll be including a 'push-button' installation (mainly so people on sqpOS v1.07 don't have to mess with apt to install the libraries), but I am likely to leave the configuration down to user. Maybe. Squeezelite on sqpOS feels like something for the tinkerers rather than a mainstream addition, but I'm still considering where to draw the line.
ilovemyjoggler wrote:Airplay - not used this much over christmas but it's always been immediately available and run perfectly for me. Brilliant feature which i couldn't do without. Thank you!
Top stuff. It takes a few moments to appear on my iOS 6 device, but it's always been solid once it's there. It's coming off the problem list! :)