SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
DonnieH

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by DonnieH »

Is there a bug in the OS?

I have mine all setup on flash memory with LMS installed on the joggler and a Hard Drive on the USB port and all works fine accessing my music library.

Disconnect my network cable, repower and I cant access the joggler library. Repower with the network cable attached and I can.

Is this a bug?
roobarb!

SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

DonnieH wrote:Is there a bug in the OS?

I have mine all setup on flash memory with LMS installed on the joggler and a Hard Drive on the USB port and all works fine accessing my music library.

Disconnect my network cable, repower and I cant access the joggler library. Repower with the network cable attached and I can.

Is this a bug?
Not exactly a bug - it's the way SqueezePlay talks to LMS. It always uses a 'real' IP address and not a link-local one (ie. not 127.0.0.1). LMS would never run on a real Squeezebox, which is why it makes sense. When you disconnect the cable that IP vanishes. Plugged back in (or connected to wifi) and there's a proper address again.

The easiest solution is to set a fixed IP address in /etc/network/interfaces.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
multiplex

Where does time come from

Post by multiplex »

Hi

I changed my Joggler to this after the previous USB stick with Linux, SB server, and SQP died - It's wonderful - well done roobarb!

But I was wondering where it gets the time from? I thought I'd edit the settings to use my ISPs NTP server but it doesn't seem to be running NTP...

And a suggestion - how about adding samba as standard? I think there are probably quite a lot of us using this to run the server and getting the music off our NASs - I I understand that you've already made a huge contribution to the Jogger and you are a busy man :-)
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I already mount my shares using CIFS without installing any extra software. AFAIK CIFS is no different to Samba. Just an addition to my FSTAB was all it needed.
monkums

Post by monkums »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:I already mount my shares using CIFS without installing any extra software. AFAIK CIFS is no different to Samba. Just an addition to my FSTAB was all it needed.
Can you tell us how to do this.
niallmoran

Post by niallmoran »

just catching up on all the cool joggler developments recently and i'm going to give squeezeplay os a bash as it looks great! Anyway, my squeezebox server is currently running on a pretty crummy bufalo linkstation live which works but is painfully slow. Would i get better performance using LMS on the joggler and linking to the shared directory on the nas? If so, can anybody give me some pointers on how best to do this (in numptyish preferably :lol: )
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I also have a Buffalo Linkstation with Shonk's firmware on it & also find Squeezebox Server so slow as to be almost unusable. I did try to set up Squeezeplay OS for samba shares a few weeks ago but failed miserably. An idiot's guide would be most welcome.
DonnieH

Post by DonnieH »

Sounds good thanks. Any idea what the default username/password are for ssh?
tomlethaby

Post by tomlethaby »

Hi, new to the forum.
I have a NetGear STORA running SqueezeCentre 7.3.3 and have just tried to get my joggler to connect using SqueezePlay OS. It asks me to upgrade to a "newer version of the Logitech Media Server".

I really don't want to have to change the STORA NAS as it is really reliable - is there anyway around this?

Thanks. TL.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

dwl99 wrote:I also have a Buffalo Linkstation with Shonk's firmware on it & also find Squeezebox Server so slow as to be almost unusable. I did try to set up Squeezeplay OS for samba shares a few weeks ago but failed miserably. An idiot's guide would be most welcome.
niallmoran wrote:just catching up on all the cool joggler developments recently and i'm going to give squeezeplay os a bash as it looks great! Anyway, my squeezebox server is currently running on a pretty crummy bufalo linkstation live which works but is painfully slow. Would i get better performance using LMS on the joggler and linking to the shared directory on the nas? If so, can anybody give me some pointers on how best to do this (in numptyish preferably :lol: )
Absolutely, funnily enough I also have a linkstation live, I did briefly try LMS on that but it was almost painful to use. I now run LMS on the Joggler but accessing my music stored on the linkstation and its brilliant. The Joggler runs LMS really well. If you are running LMS on the Joggler I'd highly recommend running the USB version of SQPOS and not the internal flash version. My main Joggler that runs the server as well as being my main player connects via Ethernet so I removed the Internal Wifi and plugged my USB stick internally in its place.

The Joggler seems to be an excellent machine for running LMS, I even use a few plugins in LMS, including play WMA to transcode WMA for playback with no issues. I've even had it running Triodes spotify plugin but decided not to carry on paying after the premium trial ended.

I'm not a Linux Guru but this is what I did to mount my music stored on the Linkstation, hope it helps

Use Putty or similar to SSH into the Joggler
First of all I created a folder in /mnt called music

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /mnt/music
I then added the following line to fstab by typing the following code

sudo nano /etc/fstab
This opens the fstab file for editing in nano, I added the following line at the end

//192.168.1.5/Music /mnt/music cifs username=jimbob,password=[password],_netdev 0 0
Once you've added the line press Control + X to exit and type y then enter to save (To paste into putty use the right click on your mouse if necessary)

My linkstation has a fixed ip of 192.168.1.5 and I have created an extra share called music. I have a username of jimbob setup on the linkstation for the music share in the access section.
you'll need to change the line to suit your own setup.
I then rebooted the joggler, opened the LMS setup page at [joggler IP]:9000 and chose the /mnt/music folder as a location for my music and let LMS do a scan. My 9000 ish tracks of FLAC and some MP3 and other formats took just under 10 minutes for a full scan.

I've also enabled the UPNP plugin in LMS and added the following line to fstab

//192.168.1.5/share /mnt/share cifs username=jimbob,password=[password],_netdev 0$
and I am using it to stream videos to my PS3 with no issues so far. I added the mnt/share in LMS but just ticked the box for movies and again let it scan my files which took a little longer than the music as I have a lot of TV series saved.

Chuffing brilliant bit of kit IMO thats been improved immensely by SqueezePlay OS for which I am exceedingly grateful to Roobarb
DonnieH wrote:Sounds good thanks. Any idea what the default username/password are for ssh?
joggler for both
Last edited by JimbobVFR400 on Thu May 23, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

tomlethaby wrote:Hi, new to the forum.
I have a NetGear STORA running SqueezeCentre 7.3.3 and have just tried to get my joggler to connect using SqueezePlay OS. It asks me to upgrade to a "newer version of the Logitech Media Server".

I really don't want to have to change the STORA NAS as it is really reliable - is there anyway around this?

Thanks. TL.
Running LMS on the Joggler but accessing music from your NAS would be my suggestion, see my previous post as it should be very similar to what I do but using a Buffalo Linkstation Live as my NAS. TBH LMS running on the Joggler would knock the socks off all but the latest NAS drives with decent a processor and memory, My Linkstation really isn't up to running LMS with any great speed and I would imagine your Stora to be the same.

Alternatively if you could upgrade LMS on the Stora to 7.7.2 if possible then you'll be fine
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

roobarb! wrote:
hansel wrote:I have SqueezePlay OS running for more than two weeks now and I love it. It never let me down.
I would like to know if the hidden SSID issue is being checked (see post http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 320#p12749).
Thank you.
I'm not actively looking in to it - but then I'm not looking into anything until work calms down a bit! I will bear it in mind, although I can't promise anything. There is a network replacement component kicking around in this thread somewhere that might do the job - search for 'wicd'.
I think the applet will deal with hiddens essids (if I implemented it correctly - never actually tested though!).

You add the hidden essid and perform another network scan. It should now show up in the list for configuration as normal.

You can test it with the image I released, but you should be able to get it working with roobarb's distro as well.
DonnieH

Post by DonnieH »

using winscp keep getting 'connection refused'??
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

DonnieH wrote:using winscp keep getting 'connection refused'??
Did you install the ssh server in 'Additional features'?

I don't know how good an ssh client Winscp is, but i'd recommend puty.
DonnieH

Post by DonnieH »

Yes, twice just in case this was the problem first time around and rebooted. Also tried putty and same problem all through port 22. Can't understand it?
DonnieH

Post by DonnieH »

reinstalled -working now. Thanks!
DonnieH

Post by DonnieH »

ok trying to update /etc/network/interfaces but access denied. Updated the shell in winscp as mentioned in an earlier post but to no avail. Also tried changing permission on the interfaces file but denied again. What am I missing?
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

DonnieH wrote:ok trying to update /etc/network/interfaces but access denied. Updated the shell in winscp as mentioned in an earlier post but to no avail. Also tried changing permission on the interfaces file but denied again. What am I missing?
You'll need to be running as root to do this. In Putty type

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

Not sure how you'd do this in winscp.
DonnieH

Post by DonnieH »

Thanks. That did the trick!
multiplex

Post by multiplex »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:I already mount my shares using CIFS without installing any extra software. AFAIK CIFS is no different to Samba. Just an addition to my FSTAB was all it needed.
Maybe I should have tried that first! - I just assumed (and we know what that means...) that I needed to add in samba :-(

One thing that I have an issue with is that it doesn't auto mount after a re-boot - I will try tweaking my fstab setting to match the one you gave in your later message. I thought I'd tried 'netdev' but I'll have a fiddle - but it might take a while - it doesn't get re-booted often!