SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Glenn2

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by Glenn2 »

Great stuff.

Is it beneficial to turn off all logging, to save on flash writes? (i.e., just turn it on when there's a problem you need to solve.)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Glenn2 wrote:Great stuff.

Is it beneficial to turn off all logging, to save on flash writes? (i.e., just turn it on when there's a problem you need to solve.)
Nope, it logs to RAM and then tars the files onto storage at shutdown or reboot, so there's no real benefit to killing all logging. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

gonna give this a go tonight, might revitalize my joggler..
Angelo
Glenn2

Post by Glenn2 »

Does anybody else get an issue when they first use after flashing, whereby you put in your mysqueezebox.com credentials and it won't connect?
Looking at the 'players' tab in mysqueezebox.com, it HAS added the player, but will never connect to it.
If I then delete it there, go into registration settings in Squeezeplay, reset registration settings and try again, it works.

Every time I have re-flashed (and I did it LOTS when I had library scanning woes) it has failed to connect first time and succeeded after doing the above.

It doesn't matter to me now as I know what to do, but thought I'd mention it. Sometimes you can get in a position where you can't go forward because it won't connect and you can't go backwards past the language selection screen.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

Just wondered.

I have xubuntu11.10 installed on my jogger, with Squeezebox . All works well but when I run facebook app and ask it to show images I get an "invalid image object" error... Is this fixed in the latest SqueezeplayOS???
Angelo
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

asantaga wrote:Just wondered.

I have xubuntu11.10 installed on my jogger, with Squeezebox . All works well but when I run facebook app and ask it to show images I get an "invalid image object" error... Is this fixed in the latest SqueezeplayOS???
I'm afraid I have no idea - I can try it later on, though. With the number of plugins available I just can't test them all, but I'll see what it does and let you know.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:
asantaga wrote:Just wondered.

I'm afraid I have no idea - I can try it later on, though. With the number of plugins available I just can't test them all, but I'll see what it does and let you know.
On my Joggler it just says 'Problem Connecting' and 'Failed to parse'. I don't think there's any way I can guarantee compatibility of plugins, I'm afraid - they'll be written only with official Squeezebox devices in mind, so unless the plugin author fancies adding compatibility there's not a lot I can do. Unless it's just a missing library or similar - then it's not too tricky.

Update: Just tried this out using the Facebook app installed via mysqueezebox.com - it's all working perfectly. I was trying it with my own (slightly iffy) Logitech Media Server installation, so perhaps that was the issue. Images are loading fine. Which version of sqpOS are you using? This is with the latest (v1.07) image.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Glenn2 wrote:Does anybody else get an issue when they first use after flashing, whereby you put in your mysqueezebox.com credentials and it won't connect?
Looking at the 'players' tab in mysqueezebox.com, it HAS added the player, but will never connect to it.
If I then delete it there, go into registration settings in Squeezeplay, reset registration settings and try again, it works.

Every time I have re-flashed (and I did it LOTS when I had library scanning woes) it has failed to connect first time and succeeded after doing the above.

It doesn't matter to me now as I know what to do, but thought I'd mention it. Sometimes you can get in a position where you can't go forward because it won't connect and you can't go backwards past the language selection screen.
I wonder if this is to do with the network connection. Sometimes SqueezePlay is loaded before the network connection is live, because the interface is waiting for an address via DHCP. It then takes a a good few seconds for SqueezePlay itself to wake up to the fact it has a connection.

Trying it here it did register fine, but then showed as disconnected on the website. However, when I went to the radio genre list (Internet Radio > Music) it downloaded the list and appeared as connected. It's been working fine since then.
Glenn2

Post by Glenn2 »

roobarb! wrote:
Glenn2 wrote:Does anybody else get an issue when they first use after flashing, whereby you put in your mysqueezebox.com credentials and it won't connect?

I wonder if this is to do with the network connection. Sometimes SqueezePlay is loaded before the network connection is live, because the interface is waiting for an address via DHCP. It then takes a a good few seconds for SqueezePlay itself to wake up to the fact it has a connection.

Trying it here it did register fine, but then showed as disconnected on the website. However, when I went to the radio genre list (Internet Radio > Music) it downloaded the list and appeared as connected. It's been working fine since then.
I always switch it from wired to wireless, put in my ssid and pw, and then press apply settings and reboot rather than continue. So next time in when I get to this page it is connected to the network, then I do the registration, which always fails first time. The icon on the website is of a Squeezebox Classic too, but when it works, it's a Squeezeplay logo. Odd.
Glenn2

Post by Glenn2 »

Also, I was wondering, if I wanted to have the files that are on the attached drive available over the internet (just to copy, not to stream), what sort of program would I need to install? Seeing as I have the joggler on 24/7 now, it would be nice.
guidows

Post by guidows »

you can install an ftp or http server, and simply serve your folders in the /media
Glenn2

Post by Glenn2 »

Should I be using Apache? (from googling around on the subject)

is it appropriate for this OS?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Glenn2 wrote:Should I be using Apache? (from googling around on the subject)

Apache, sure, or mongoose (which is much smaller and simpler).
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Just stumbled upon SqueezePlay OS and tried it out yesterday - worked first time. This is great roobarb!, thanks! 8-)

I do find, that after it has been in standby/clock, when you power on it doesn't find my LMS straight away. I'm connected over wired ethernet to LMS permanently running on a NAS so have not worked out why this happens - will post if do.

I also wonder how possible it would be to implement some soft buttons, equivalent to the physical preset buttons on the Squeezebox Radio? Ideally these would be in the top bar to the right of the power/back button. I usually turn on the SB Radio by pressing a radio preset which is quick and simple. It would be good to be able to switch off (to standby/clock) from every page too, rather than having to skip back to the home screen.

Sorry I'm guessing these aren't really SqueezePlay OS specific questions just thought others here might have come up with workarounds.
SB Radio 7.7.2, SqueezePlayOS v1.09(SP v1.53) on O2 Joggler, SB Touch/Quad 606/Heybrook .5
LMS 7.7.2-r33893 on Syno DS213+ NAS. ~4000 tracks & mostly listen to BBC.
Prev: 7.6.1 SSODS(thanks flip!) on LS-XHL; 7.6 on Joggler/Ubuntu; 7.3.3 on LS-GL
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Ah, I understand a bit better now (having not really used SqueezePlay itself much previously and just installed it on my PC).

The on/off button etc are all standard SqueezePlay functionality so any change would need to be done in that, i.e. not trivial. Looking at the wiki though (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezePlay) there are a bunch of keyboard shortcuts which work on a PC and presumary would work if there was a keyboard plugged into the Joggler. So very useful things, like customising the home menu, you can do by pressing + in this case on the keyboard. Things like that you only do occasionally so it wouldn't be so difficult to plug in a keyboard specially.

Interestingly there are also keyboard shortcuts, not for presets, but at least for favourites (digits 0 to 9) so that's something that could be handy.

So here's another thought - and this time it is very specific to SqueezePlay OS ;) - is it possible to overlay an onscreen keyboard? What I'm thinking is if you had a transparent one (like Florence) and customised it to only have a few specific keys (not sure if you can do that but it sounds like it would be possible given it must have multiple keyboard layouts) you could then float it at the top of the screen just left of the title. Given that there's no Ubuntu desktop perhaps this is a non-starter though?
SB Radio 7.7.2, SqueezePlayOS v1.09(SP v1.53) on O2 Joggler, SB Touch/Quad 606/Heybrook .5
Prev: 7.6.1 SSODS(thanks flip!) on LS-XHL; 7.6 on Joggler/Ubuntu; 7.3.3 on LS-GL
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I'm afraid that adding an additional on-screen keyboard won't be possible. There's not a proper window manager as such - SqueezePlay is rendered straight to the screen, so there's nothing there to control the appearance and positioning of other elements.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Silly Question time:

I use one of my jogglers on the dining room table, with SqPOS running on a usb stick mounted internally in place of the WiFi. All my music is on a NAS (with LMS running on the Joggler) so I have no need for plugging in USB drives or what not into the side

I do find the USB handy though for charging various devices including my phone, kindle etc, unfortunately the kindle wont let me continue to use it when it gets mounted as a drive.

Is there an easy way to disable automounting when you plug in devices like this, and preferably a simple way of reenabling it, failing that is there an easy way of un-mounting, possibly with the
Squeezeplay UI or less conveniently with the command line?
Glenn2

Post by Glenn2 »

roobarb! wrote:
Glenn2 wrote:Should I be using Apache? (from googling around on the subject)

Apache, sure, or mongoose (which is much smaller and simpler).
Thanks for that. I tried Mongoose but I couldn't find a compiled version to install. I tried doing this but the MAKE stage failed. (Make is installed)

https://github.com/sidelab/prowebapps-c ... tion-Linux

I'll give Apache a whirl next. Ta.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

roobarb! wrote:I'm afraid that adding an additional on-screen keyboard won't be possible. There's not a proper window manager as such - SqueezePlay is rendered straight to the screen, so there's nothing there to control the appearance and positioning of other elements.
Thanks roobarb - I thought that might be the case. It would have been an 'orrible 'ack too - really this buttons thing needs to be tackled in SqueezePlay itself.

I was thinking about the uses for Joggler as Squeezebox - there are two quite separate ones:
* as a standalone music player, i.e. like the Squeezebox Radio but with a touch screen (ideal for a bathroom)
* as a music source to a hi-fi, i.e. like the Squeezebox Touch.
For each of these cases the SqueezePlay requirements are subtley different. The standalone player needs more on-screen buttons to make up for the convenient hard buttons on the SB Radio/Boom etc. The music source player probably doesn't need the volume control as you'll quite likely run a USB DAC and control volume on the amp.

I'll hop over the the SB forums and see what SqueezePlay customisation can be done...
Dancleary

Post by Dancleary »

Hi, firstly thanks to all for a brilliant piece of software! I have one question...I currently have my joggler streaming wirelessly from my PC upstairs, everything working fine. What I am trying to do is get the joggler to stream music from my htpc which has the Openelec version of xbmc running on it. The htpc is visible when I press the upnp button on the joggler, and it brings up all the music up, so there is a share of some description enabled. I can then play the relevant video or music file, while this is great, i wouldn't be a joggler nut if i didn't try and replicate this share directly through squeeze on the joggler?