SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
offbeatdave

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by offbeatdave »

My Squeezeplay OS locked up again this afternoon, this time using a different USB stick. When I pulled the plug and rebooted I was presented with the same file system error that I received on my previous stick (noted above). As it gave me the option to fix, ignore etc, I plugged in my USB keyboard (I'm running SqueezeOS off an additional USB port), let it fix automatically and away it went, all working again! For the record it was an identical 8Gb HP stick.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
gegs

Post by gegs »

danynero wrote:I would do without the USB stick because I want to connect the interface UCA202 Behringer because I use the Joggler with my amp and the audio is very poor, and increased volume generates a kind of noise on the right channel.
Hi Daniele,

I have a 4 port hub attached to my Joggler and it runs SqueezeplayOS from a USB stick and outputs sound to a Behringer UCA202. There is no need to install to the internal flash memory if you don't want to.
danynero

Post by danynero »

gegs wrote:
danynero wrote:I would do without the USB stick because I want to connect the interface UCA202 Behringer because I use the Joggler with my amp and the audio is very poor, and increased volume generates a kind of noise on the right channel.
Hi Daniele,

I have a 4 port hub attached to my Joggler and it runs SqueezeplayOS from a USB stick and outputs sound to a Behringer UCA202. There is no need to install to the internal flash memory if you don't want to.

Thanks, but I try not to have any cables more.
I would try this to pass by airport express and eliminate this problem: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/apples-air ... untulinux/

Daniele
gegs

Post by gegs »

I was having some trouble with small sound drop-outs in Squeezeplay OS, mainly using Spotify, so I decided to re-format the stick and try again.

After writing Squeezeplay OS to the stick I used Gparted to increase the size of the partition but this time also created a 1.5GB linux swap partition. I then inserted the stick and booted into Squeezeplay OS for the first time and set up my account info. I then did a 'sudo apt-get update' then installed Mplayer. I then added:

Code: Select all

deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main
to /etc/apt/sources.list as per the instructions on http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Install-t ... erver.html , ran 'sudo apt-get update' and then 'sudo apt-get install logitechmediaserver'.

After Mplayer and LMS had installed I opened the Spotify plugin settings page in LMS, added my account details and ticked the option to always use the helper application for streaming.

I'm not sure if setting a swap partition or using the helper app has improved things, but I don't get the sound drop-outs anymore. Perhaps it was both. Previously I had lowered the streaming quality thinking that the drop-outs might be a buffering issue, perhaps due to a slow data transfer USB stick. I'm still using the same stick but now I am streaming at Spotify Premium's highest quality without a problem.

I'll monitor the situation to see if things remain the same or if prolonged use causes the problem to reappear, but so far I couldn't be happier with my Squeezeplay OS set up.
blc

Post by blc »

Excellent work. I installed this to the internal flash (using an existing USB distro) and it works brilliantly. Incidentally, if I'd known it was that easy to install an OS to the internal flash memory I'd have investigated it much sooner.

I did have a bit of an issue with getting a USB sound device working, but that was due to a missing asound.conf - it now works just fine using the example given a few pages back.

I do have a bit of a query though. Is it possible to switch the screen off directly from a shortcut on the home menu? PnP has a shortcut to switch the screen off, so it must be possible at least in some fashion. It likely involves some sort of command line script, but I don't know whether that can be invoked directly from within SqueezePlay - I know very little about SqueezePlay, to be honest.
eduponesarris

Two USB Sticks

Post by eduponesarris »

I have installed the OS on a microcard via the reader which is wired to the board and fixed in the case as a mod, with the original USB port as is. I am presuming the external port is the default USB boot one, as I inserted a USB stick with music on and now the Joggler boots into the stock OS as it is not recognising the music stick understandably as a Boot Disk.

My original intention was to have the default library on a USB stick, so if I didn't want to leave the PC flashed up I can still use the joggler to play music via the active speakers using the USB stick and switch libraries to LMS if I wanted to.

Could I use Putty or another telnet app to make those tweaks to the OS on the stick and default to the USB Stick. I appreciate that if the normal USB port is default, then I would put the music on the microcard instead, thats not an issue. The OS seems to boot up fine, and access LML and the Squeezebox account. I've used a few different USB sticks with the image on, and the microcard, so unlike some of the posts, I have not had a problem with USB memory

Thanks
J
gegs

Post by gegs »

blc wrote:Is it possible to switch the screen off directly from a shortcut on the home menu?
Hitting the 'power' button icon on the top left of the home menu blanks the screen for me. Tapping the screen again brings it to life.

I think there's also a screensaver option that will blank the screen after a user-specified delay.
blc

Post by blc »

gegs wrote:Hitting the 'power' button icon on the top left of the home menu blanks the screen for me. Tapping the screen again brings it to life.

I think there's also a screensaver option that will blank the screen after a user-specified delay.
It appears that sometimes a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. I'd just gone off to find/write bash scripts to do this, and hadn't even thought to try that icon. I seem to have an unerring ability to overcomplicate the solution...

Excuse me, I'm going to go and bang my head against a wall and feel stupid for an hour...
gegs

Post by gegs »

No need to be embarassed. It took me an inordinately long time to discover the same thing.
blc

Post by blc »

eduponesarris wrote:I have installed the OS on a microcard via the reader which is wired to the board and fixed in the case as a mod, with the original USB port as is. I am presuming the external port is the default USB boot one, as I inserted a USB stick with music on and now the Joggler boots into the stock OS as it is not recognising the music stick understandably as a Boot Disk.

My original intention was to have the default library on a USB stick, so if I didn't want to leave the PC flashed up I can still use the joggler to play music via the active speakers using the USB stick and switch libraries to LMS if I wanted to.

Could I use Putty or another telnet app to make those tweaks to the OS on the stick and default to the USB Stick. I appreciate that if the normal USB port is default, then I would put the music on the microcard instead, thats not an issue. The OS seems to boot up fine, and access LML and the Squeezebox account. I've used a few different USB sticks with the image on, and the microcard, so unlike some of the posts, I have not had a problem with USB memory

Thanks
J
If you set up LMS locally on SqueezePlay OS (see instructions a few pages back), you can scan the music on the USB stick/memory card. You can then configure SqueezePlay to use either server, and switch between them at will.
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

Had a go at that, when Win32 Diskimager writes the image, it makes it a 49Mb disk. Did a further bit of reading and downloaded GParted Live iso, booted into the CD instead of Win 7 and used the partition editor to expand the USB stick to 8gig. Indications were all is correct, however, on trying to crack on with LMS installation, got all the way through and then came up with an error, looks like a foder is missing, Dpkg?
Laso tried installing mplayer and lame, the next apps in sequence, more or less the same error. When I took the stick out, it was still 49mb, although GParted reproted it as correct. And the Joggler definitely won't boot up with the USB stick (it's one of those nano small ones) with the microcard containing music in the other added port from the internals. It will boot up from either on it's own, but not with both populated. I may be flogging a dead horse anyway trying to set this up as a standalone player. Doesn't appear to want to do it, and I'm not familiar enough with Linux to start looking really deeply into it. Works fine as a player with the PC on however using the SP OS
J
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

I imagine Windows doesn't recognize the linux partition and is only reporting the fat EFI partition. As for the problem with booting two sticks, you could probably create a clone of the EFI partition on the second stick (as long as the kernel paramater, root, is specfied as a label or uuid in grub.cfg).

Edit: so basically make two partitions on your second stick - one small fat file system (32MB should do) with a bootable flag and a partition with file system of your choice on the rest. Then copy files from EFI parition on stick you have housed internally to the small fat partition. You could achieve this by flashing the squeeze OS to the second usb stick, resizing the second partition and formatting as it as ntfs (I assume you want to read it in windows). Then you need you need to add it to your /etc/fstab to automatically mount at boot (tons of information on the web about this).
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Hmm. I've suffered two audio dropouts now on Squeezeplay OS. I don't appear to have a asound.conf in /etc I'm quite happy to pop one in there, but should I have had one there in the first place?
bobbydee48

Post by bobbydee48 »

Hi I am having problems installing squeezeplay with the latest o2 update. I downloaded the latest squeezeplay software. I copied the files to a 32gb stick.
bobbydee48

Post by bobbydee48 »

Sorry never finished the last post. Eight items are on the file when I unzip to stick. sqpinstall beep opupdt readme .sum beep.sh opupdt.run sqpinstall

I insert in Joggler and it just boots up normally. Is there something simple that I am doing wrong. I had linux mint running on it but my wife like the weather on the o2 update so I want to install the squeezplay icon and then install it.

Any help much appreciated.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

bobbydee48 wrote:Sorry never finished the last post. Eight items are on the file when I unzip to stick. sqpinstall beep opupdt readme .sum beep.sh opupdt.run sqpinstall

I insert in Joggler and it just boots up normally. Is there something simple that I am doing wrong. I had linux mint running on it but my wife like the weather on the o2 update so I want to install the squeezplay icon and then install it.

Any help much appreciated.
Sorry for the brief reply - in a bit of a rush...

You want to be in http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14 for installing Squeezeplay on the stock OS. This thread is for a completely standalone version of Squeezeplay!

If your Joggler has updated, you won't be able to install by booting from a usb stick as this functionality was removed with the o2/OpenPeak update. I believe it can be done via telnet though.

[Shameless plug] You may also want to check out http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=555 for installing Squeezeplay and a whole load of other stuff on the stock OS.[/Shameless plug] ;)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

[/quote] If your Joggler has updated, you won't be able to install by booting from a usb stick as this functionality was removed with the o2/OpenPeak update. [/quote]
You could reflash to stock os via Roobarbs reflashing tool though if you didn't want to use telnet.
Happy Joggling
bobbydee48

Post by bobbydee48 »

Thanks for the replies. I am still using Linux Mint 12 but if I reflash using Roobarbs reflashing tool will my wife still be able to use the weather and alarm clock when I put Squeezebox on it.
gegs

Post by gegs »

If you reflash to the original O2 software and then install P'n'P III, you will have Squeezeplay. Logitech Media Server and also the new weather and Flickr apps from the Openpeak update (the only two new things worth having IMO).

It's really easy. Just be very patient when these are installing because you won't get any visual confirmation that things are happening. Just wait (some users report over twenty minutes) until the device reboots when using each tool.

You will also need to disable DHCP and set up your IP manually with P'n'P III if you want to connect wirelessly.
pukington gives instructions here: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 9831#p9831
paulbass

Post by paulbass »

Firstly a big thanks to Roobarb for his excellent software, as already stated this is by far the slickest implementation of squeeze player on the Joggler. Having run PlugnPimp since getting my joggler, I recently foung the joggler automatically updated, to the new open peak software. As I think this looks worse than the O2 software and primarily using the joggler for squeeze play, I decided to try the spOS.

As a background my LMS is running on a Zyxel nsa310 and I also have a Duet running of this server.

All is running fine on the joggler from a flash card except for the following problem which I hope someone can help me with.

My radio streams via the bbc iplayer plugin will not play, I get the message "cannot open file" As I understand it this is because the spOS cannot play WMA's which the BBC radio stream is.

I have installed the playWMA plugin on the Nsa310 LMS installation, but when I go into settings for the playWMA plugin it states that "Mplayer is not installed please appropriate method for your distribution"

Since my LMS is installed on a NAS using the manufactures packages I don't think I have the option (or should that be ability!!) to install mplayer

My long winded question is this.................

how do I get my radio streams to play (6 music is my radio savior)

would installing mplayer on the spOS solve the problem - I feel confident enough to do this

Thanks in advance