Updating Openpeak 1 devices with SSD drive - XPe - Revisit

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Updating Openpeak 1 devices with SSD drive - XPe - Revisit

Post by pete »

Found a source in HKG for the small 16Gb SSD drives and flipped zif 40 pin cables that I am using for my automation touchscreens. These are tiny and fit nicely inside of the Openpeak 1's.

The Openpeak 1 was similar to the Openpeak 2. This was the device used for Telco in the cloud used by a variety of telco companies internationally and Avaya, Cisco, Verizon et al.

I still have a few O2 Jogglers but mostly have used these for my automation touchscreens / Squeezeplayers / Ubuntu boxes.

Verizon had Openpeak design a new box built in India which was un moddable and much cheaper constuction than the original Openpeak devices.

I purchased a couple of these just to get the Verizon DECT phones with it which worked with the Openframe boxes. These show a second USB sound card when booting to Linux or Windows.

Ebay for the SSD drive at $19 USD or so with free shipping Amazon for the flipped zif cables. It was difficult to find the original cables.

The SSD drive fits over the USB WLAN stick inside of the Joggler (OpenPeak1).

The Openpeak 1 labeled devices were originally Verizon / Cisco Telco and Zigbee devices. They look like an O2 except that inside there is a metal heatsink and a DECT and zigbee chip like the Openpeak 2. They also have a built in zif clip for an SSD IDE drive. No soldering required. They are labeled Openpeak on the tag and engraved in the case.

These are my main Windows based automation touchscreens that have been running now for over 10 years 24/7. They have not failed yet. I have a few configured in Ubuntu and boot up via SSD / EFI. In Windows they boot up via Seabios. I also have a few booting up with 64Gb SSD ZIF drives which are the same size.

The automation touchscreen software was originally written for Microsoft CE and runs quickly on these Jogglers.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Re: Updating Openpeak 1 devices with SSD drives - Revisit

Post by pete »

Here are my steps to create a new Windows touchscreen Openpeak 1 device. I decided to do this on a new virgin untouched Openpeak 1 prototype device.
It's been a long time so I thought I would give it a try. Note I am learning to take pictures with my phone these days and not using the digital SLR much these days.

Here is a video of the Telstra Prototype from 8 years ago.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/3NeKpWZ299Q[/youtube]

[youtube]3NeKpWZ299Q[/youtube]

Openpeak1-Prototype.jpg
1 - I used mini tools partition manager on another touchscreen. Connected ZIF SSD to a ZIF SSD to USB device and plugged it in to a working Windows Openpeak1 device. I copied the internal SSD drive to the external SSD drive via USB. It will reboot and copy the partition running in DOS. Takes about 20 minutes.

2 - This device came with a Verizon OS disabled to a terminal prompt. I installed original O2 OS on it and made sure it was working.

3 - Then connected the USB stick I have posted here that is a combo bios and realtek bios dos stick.

4 - SSH'd to device and

cd /mnt
ls
coreboot.rom
modprobe fh
dd if=/mnt/coreboot.rom of=/dev/fh count=1 bs=1024k
reboot

5 - booted the DOS stick in Seabios mode and wrote a mac address to the realtek NIC.

6 - booted up with the new SSD and changed IP, name et al on it.

Tested it with a short "flipped" cable first and it booted right up. Next used a new long ZIF cable.
Openpeak1-Prototype-1.jpg
Openpeak1-Prototype-2.jpg
Here is a hi-res back board picture. Note that it is labeled Openframe board.
OpenframeBoard-1a.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater