Sudden buffering problem in SqueezeplayOS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
sijones

Sudden buffering problem in SqueezeplayOS

Post by sijones »

Hi all - Can anyone help me think through a problem that's suddenly cropped up? I've had the following setup working beautifully for a few years now:

* LMS on a raspberry pi, using a piece of software called max2play. Music on a 2.5" USB drive attached to the pi.
* SqueezeplayOS flashed Jogglers dotted around the house, connected to various stereos or speakers. Fixed IP addresses. Some of the Jogglers are wifi, some are on ethernet cables.
* Apart from the very occasional hang & reboot, this has been rock solid for years.
* The vast majority of my listening is 'Random song mix' from my mp3 library.

The Joggler with SqueezeplayOS is absolutely brilliant for this. But suddenly, the sound is frequently dropping out, often with a little 'rebuffering' message at the top of the screen. Happens on any of the Jogglers.

* My immediate reaction was to blame the pi, so I've tinkered with that, no improvement.
* Got rid of max2play, and installed piCorePlayer on a new SD card as a LMS server instead. Same problem.
* Shifted the LMS server to a 'real' computer: the HP Microserver that I use for my Plex library. This thing is running Xpenology (basically fooling the HP into thinking it's a Synology box. LMS runs in Docker). In this setup the music files are on the HP's internal hard drives - no improvement.

None of this has made any difference. I've also replaced my network switch (the only hardware component that's been introduced into the mix in the last 6 months) - no difference. Have rebooted my router of course.

Internet radio is always fine, the problem is just my own MP3s. Occasionally, the random mix will play great for ages, and I think I've cracked it... until the buffering comes back. I'm at my wits' end.

Can anyone join me in a thought exercise to suggest what to look for? I'm not saying SqueezeplayOS is to blame, but it's weird how the problem has not improved at all when changing the server. I should point out: whatever server I've tried, it's been connected to my network by a cable - a different cable too.

I'll also go post at the Logitech forum too, but any suggestions would be warmly welcomed - I'm baffled...
roobarb!

Re: Sudden buffering problem in SqueezeplayOS

Post by roobarb! »

That is weird. Some Jogglers are on wifi and some are wired, you say? And they misbehave in the same way?

When did the problems begin?

Do you have any devices playing back that aren't Jogglers? Do they misbehave the same way?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
sijones

Post by sijones »

Hi Roobarb, thanks for your reply. SqueezeplayOS is absolutely awesome!

Aside from the Jogglers, I have a Squeezebox Radio in the kitchen... but we don't really use that in the same way, it spends all day playing internet radio, so I can't honestly say I've spent hours monitoring its performance on Random Mix setting. Also, I try to stay out of the kitchen... ;)

My Jogglers are in rooms where I spend hours at a time, working from home. I usually have them on Random Mix. So it's not really a fair comparison.

Tomorrow I'm going to try two experiments:
  • I'll play Random Mix for several hours using the Squeezeplayer on my phone, through a Bluetooth speaker - let's see if that starts to buffer eventually.
  • I'll also try not using Random Mix on a Joggler - just playing albums. I wonder if organising a Random Mix is causing server-side problems..?
My server setup is a new one today: piCorePlayer on an ethernet-connected pi, with the music on a network drive. It worked great for several hours today... then started buffering. One more bit of info that may help: when the buffering started today I logged into piCorePlayer's web interface, then clicked the button to open the LMS web interface. LMS wouldn't load, I had to restart LMS from piCorePlayer to get a response. So when the buffering starts, the LMS web interface gets hung up - but I don't know if that's the cause, or just another symptom?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

@sijones

Are any of the Jogglers synced together?

If you have one Joggler that you use more than the others, I would like to suggest that you try roobarb!'s

viewtopic.php?p=33140#p33140

I have run it briefly, using Squeezelite and Jivelite.

The method for installing Jivelite I detailed here;

viewtopic.php?p=33060#p33060

I'm not a technical person at all, I just blunder around until things work :)

In the "Finally cracked it " thread I made a new user, but the current "Debian Bullseye" thread it is possible to use the "of" user.

I run my LMS on a rpi4b 64 bit Raspberry PI OS Bullseye Desktop (Headless). But using the Lite version is also recommended if one just wants a server. It might be worth a try to change OS again.

Can you connect the usb Music drive to a powered hub (preferably one that does not back power the pi)

ronnie
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

sijones wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:45 pmwhen the buffering started today I logged into piCorePlayer's web interface, then clicked the button to open the LMS web interface. LMS wouldn't load, I had to restart LMS from piCorePlayer to get a response. So when the buffering starts, the LMS web interface gets hung up - but I don't know if that's the cause, or just another symptom?
That's interesting, keep an eye on that. It would be very weird for multiple clients to start exhibiting the same symptoms at the same time (particularly when nothing has changed in SQPOS for a while) and something odd is happening on the server to which they're all connected. It seems more likely that a recent LMS or other update has introduced a bug of some kind.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
sijones

Post by sijones »

Thanks for the replies both of you.

My Jogglers aren't synced (I always forget about that cool feature). I'll install Debian Bullseye on one of my spare Jogglers and try that - thanks for the links.

I've also been posting about this over on the Squeezebox forum and have been trying a few things - and the finger of suspicion seems to be pointing at something dodgy in the infrastructure of my home network.

I've reached this conclusion having made a fresh install of piCorePlayer on my pi, running both LMS and the Squeezelite player, with music files plugged directly into the pi on a basic USB stick, and the music being played directly out of the pi onto a little speaker. So there's no network involvement (aside from my phone connecting as a controller). That rig will play all day without buffering at all.

I'm going to start replacing ethernet cables and maybe also my main network switch to see if that improves things. Someone over there suggested a dodgy power supply on my network switch could have weird effects. Will report back...
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Oof, best of luck - sounds like it could be a faff to untangle. Hope you get to the cause without too much frustration!
sijones wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:48 amI'll install Debian Bullseye on one of my spare Jogglers and try that - thanks for the links.
Just so you're aware, the auto-installers (through of-install) haven't been tested on Bullseye, so they're likely broken. I probably shouldn't have included that script in the image, but as I get around to it they should auto-update without people needing to reinstall the OS. Ha, unless that script is broken too, of course. :lol:
castalla

Post by castalla »

Which version of LMS are you using? I had a similar lms lockout using 8.2 - upgrade to 8.3 fixed the problem.
sijones

Post by sijones »

I'm on 8.2.0 on this new piCorePlayer installation. I bet the previous server I had was even older.

Thanks, I'll update to 8.3, worth a shot.

One more thing I've noticed: when I'm playing Random Mix, if I skip to the next track, that can very often cause the rebuffering or an LMS interface lockup. Dunno what that signifies though...
sijones

Post by sijones »

Ah - no 8.3 that I can see in piCoreplayer - I've manually pushed it to update to 8.2.1, will see how that goes.

Was away form home yesterday and came back to find LMS locked out again, even though no-one had been using Squeezeplay. So looks like whatever happens, is regardless of any streaming. All this time piCorePlayer is rock solid - it's the underlying LMS that freezes.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

sijones wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:48 pm Ah - no 8.3 that I can see in piCoreplayer - I've manually pushed it to update to 8.2.1, will see how that goes.

On the LMS tab page, scroll down to "Select Branch" and choose the Development version.
Tick the radio button, and then select manual update

ronnie
sijones

Post by sijones »

Man in a van wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:21 pm
sijones wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:48 pm Ah - no 8.3 that I can see in piCoreplayer - I've manually pushed it to update to 8.2.1, will see how that goes.

On the LMS tab page, scroll down to "Select Branch" and choose the Development version.
Tick the radio button, and then select manual update

ronnie
Thanks Ronnie, I'd missed that. Version 8.3 is installing know, let's see how we get on...
sijones

Post by sijones »

Breakthrough!

After updating to 8.3, the pi-based LMS has been solid as a rock for over 2 days! Many thanks Ronnie, if it hadn't been for your tip about switching branches I would never been able to find that version.

I'm going to hold off buying any hardware for now & see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and moral support.

What baffles me is: why would my three versions of 8.2 all stop working at the same time? (one on my HP Microserver with internal music, one on the Max2Play pi with USB-attached music, one on the piCorePlayer pi with network share music). The Max2Play pi had been running good as gold for ages. Truly computers move in a mysterious way...

Will report back after a few more days of hammering it.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

sijones wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:48 pm Breakthrough!

After updating to 8.3, the pi-based LMS has been solid as a rock for over 2 days! Many thanks Ronnie, if it hadn't been for your tip about switching branches I would never been able to find that version.

I'm going to hold off buying any hardware for now & see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and moral support.

What baffles me is: why would my three versions of 8.2 all stop working at the same time? (one on my HP Microserver with internal music, one on the Max2Play pi with USB-attached music, one on the piCorePlayer pi with network share music). The Max2Play pi had been running good as gold for ages. Truly computers move in a mysterious way...

Will report back after a few more days of hammering it.
Credit to @castalla on this thread and Mr Webster on slimdevices

ronnie
sijones

Post by sijones »

My mistake, didn't reread all the thread thoroughly enough! Yes: props to @castalla, Mr Webster and yourself Ronnie - much appreciated!
alexis92

Post by alexis92 »

Thank god for this thread, a friend of mine faced a really similar issue with his LMS (on an ODroid instead of a Pi, don't ask) and he says the update seems to have fixed it for him too.
sijones

Post by sijones »

Glad to hear it alexis92. I'm not quite out of the woods yet - after running rock solid for a week, my piCorePlayer LMS locked out again today - but slightly different symptoms, no 'buffering' this time, it just half-heartedly played the random mix song for a minute, had a think, moved on to the next song, rinse, repeat. Whilst this was going on piCorePlayer was functioning (as before) but the LMS web interface was hung. It cleared up after a few restarts of the pi.

Anyway, a server problem, not a Joggler problem: every player in the house was affected at the same time.

Might try upgrading to a beefier pi - I'm running it on my old Model 2B now, maybe it's not up to the job.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

sijones wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:40 pm
Anyway, a server problem, not a Joggler problem: every player in the house was affected at the same time.

Any messages in the server log ?

ronnie
alexis92

Post by alexis92 »

sijones wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:40 pm Glad to hear it alexis92. I'm not quite out of the woods yet - after running rock solid for a week, my piCorePlayer LMS locked out again today - but slightly different symptoms, no 'buffering' this time, it just half-heartedly played the random mix song for a minute, had a think, moved on to the next song, rinse, repeat. Whilst this was going on piCorePlayer was functioning (as before) but the LMS web interface was hung. It cleared up after a few restarts of the pi.

Might try upgrading to a beefier pi - I'm running it on my old Model 2B now, maybe it's not up to the job.
Looking forward to further developments!