Debian Bullseye for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
fanshawe

Re: Debian Bullseye for OpenFrame

Post by fanshawe »

Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:43 pm Would be so kind as to detail how you did that, it will help others (and save me a google search :) )
Sure,

My issue was how to run fsck on a readonly file system, and the solution (from https://askubuntu.com/questions/197459/ ... tem#422153) is to run it on the partition path rather than the mount point:

Code: Select all

sudo fsck.ext4 -f /partition/path
so in my case this was

sudo fsck.ext4 -f /dev/sda2
Then a reboot and read/write was enabled again.
Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:43 pm I'm currently trying ralphy's squeezeplay on the Joggler, I can get it working but album art is missing/haphazard :? :x
I haven't tried that - what are the benefits over the version that 'of-install' provides?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

fanshawe wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:52 pm
Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:43 pm Would be so kind as to detail how you did that, it will help others (and save me a google search :) )
Sure,

My issue was how to run fsck on a readonly file system, and the solution (from https://askubuntu.com/questions/197459/ ... tem#422153) is to run it on the partition path rather than the mount point:

sudo fsck.ext4 -f /partition/path
so in my case this was

sudo fsck.ext4 -f /dev/sda2
Then a reboot and read/write was enabled again.
Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:43 pm I'm currently trying ralphy's squeezeplay on the Joggler, I can get it working but album art is missing/haphazard :? :x
I haven't tried that - what are the benefits over the version that 'of-install' provides?
Thanks Peter, I thought I had seen something like that reference somewhere, always good to get confirmation.

Ralph's Squeezeplay is pretty up to date. It's just an exercise in futility really. I can get so far; installed , playing and with good finger control on the touchscreen, but only limited album art. I might ask Ralphy one day.

I have already managed to install LMS, Squeezelite and Jivelite on the Bullseye Joggler, so that's really enough.

I think the Joggler I use for testing is starting to wear out :roll:

All the best

ronnie
fanshawe

Post by fanshawe »

My celebration was short lived unfortunately - after fixing the BBC sounds issue by changing the sample rate in asound.conf to 48KHz, I then tried Spotify and other services and they all exhibited the stutter instead! So it seems that BBC sounds works with the sample rate fixed at 48KHz and everything else works at 44.1KHz. Any suggestions for a solution that works for all?

Thanks again
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

fanshawe wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:02 pm My celebration was short lived unfortunately - after fixing the BBC sounds issue by changing the sample rate in asound.conf to 48KHz, I then tried Spotify and other services and they all exhibited the stutter instead! So it seems that BBC sounds works with the sample rate fixed at 48KHz and everything else works at 44.1KHz. Any suggestions for a solution that works for all?

Thanks again

I'll try and replicate your set up, it will take a while so I won't have a reult until tomorrow, sorry.

When you use the Joggler as a player, which audio autput do you use ?

ronnie
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

rough and ready, read through, only Pauls fix seems necessary

rpi 3b:

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.1 - 1668532124 @ Tue 15 Nov 2022 06:33:38 PM CET

All installs on Joggler done as user "of"

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y

sudo useradd squeezeplay -m

sudo of-install squeezeplay

Choking playback on BBC radio and fip

spotty failed to get access token

Radio paradise main mix played ok

returned to spotty, it was ok, played the new Bruce Sprinsteen "Only the Strong Survive"

did the tickbox in BBC Sounds, still shoking

removed tick

Settings >>Audio Settings > Audio Interface > Changed from Internal (Mixer) to Internal (Direct) > turned off Squeezeplay/turned on squeezeplay left arrow back all the way scrol l down to Quit and tap to reboot (really reset). Neither reboot or shutdown work so maybe use a terminal to reboot and check settings

Replaced tick in BBC sounds

did Pauls fix

viewtopic.php?p=32469#p32469

rebooted

reset the Internal (Mixer)

unticked the boxes ins the Sounds app restarted lms

all seems well will check tomorrow am
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Scroll to the bottom of the page and work back up to this point, make the edit, save and exit reboot

Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

fanshawe wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:02 pm My celebration was short lived unfortunately - after fixing the BBC sounds issue by changing the sample rate in asound.conf to 48KHz, I then tried Spotify and other services and they all exhibited the stutter instead! So it seems that BBC sounds works with the sample rate fixed at 48KHz and everything else works at 44.1KHz. Any suggestions for a solution that works for all?

Thanks again
Peter
I rebooted this morning, and, like you experienced, the problem had returned.

I have very little time for this today.

I suggest that you either install Squeezelite via the D.Willis post or install Jivelite and Squeezelite (there is a guide posted by me on one of the threads)
D.Willis would be quicker as Jivelite takes a while to build.

sorry I can't help further today

ronnie
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Peter, I can work on something today, it will take a while
fanshawe

Post by fanshawe »

Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:04 pm
I'll try and replicate your set up, it will take a while so I won't have a reult until tomorrow, sorry.

When you use the Joggler as a player, which audio autput do you use ?
Sorry I missed this last night Ronnie, and thanks so much for testing it out! I will have a look later today and let you know :)
fanshawe

Post by fanshawe »

ah, our messages crossed, ok understood. I will have a look at the alternatives you mentioned - thanks again!
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

fanshawe wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:06 am ah, our messages crossed, ok understood. I will have a look at the alternatives you mentioned - thanks again!

Check your PM
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

fanshawe wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:06 am ah, our messages crossed, ok understood. I will have a look at the alternatives you mentioned - thanks again!
I think it will recognise your Spotify and BBC Sounds logins
fanshawe

Post by fanshawe »

I have been able to sort this now, with all sources playing without stuttering. The key points are
  • Keep /etc/asound.conf set to 44.1KHz, for compatibility with the majority of sources
  • In the joggler player preferences on LMS, ensure that 'bitrate limiting' is set so that it transcodes the audio before sending it to the joggler. I have set this to 96kbps for now (may tweak this later but it seems good enough for the joggler internal speaker) and haven't had any issues so far.
Thanks for the advice on this Ronnie, I will keep that in case I have further issues and need to rebuild.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

fanshawe wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:24 pm I have been able to sort this now, with all sources playing without stuttering. The key points are
  • Keep /etc/asound.conf set to 44.1KHz, for compatibility with the majority of sources
  • In the joggler player preferences on LMS, ensure that 'bitrate limiting' is set so that it transcodes the audio before sending it to the joggler. I have set this to 96kbps for now (may tweak this later but it seems good enough for the joggler internal speaker) and haven't had any issues so far.
Thanks for the advice on this Ronnie, I will keep that in case I have further issues and need to rebuild.
Glad you are sorted :)

I always run LMS with Lame installed and use the "No Limit" setting.

There is something wrong though with the Squeezeplay and the latest LMS versions, what it is, I don't know :?

I returned to Ralph's Squeezeplay. It needs a little configuration but all my LMS settings are at Default.

I had to configure the audio output in the squeezeplay.sh file but it uses the inbuilt speaker very well, I set Alsamixer at 0dB and keep the volume control on the Joggle at a low setting.

Spotify, Radio Paradise,JB-Radio2 all play well.

Just the missing album art is the only fly in the ointment :(

It runs without a framebuffer, as I know nothing about Linux I guess it needs a Desktop of some sort.
Roobarb manages this trick but I don't have a Scooby :?

All the best

ronnie
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

Winter is approaching and I think I would like to try to update my Joggler also to this image - with a little help of this community, if possible:
My goal: Run latest (ralphys?) versions of squeezelite and jivelite.
My setup: As audiooutput I use the headphonejack (feeding into a kitchen-radio). The internal speakers are cut, so any noise on those is not an issue for my setup.
Does anyone have used squeezelite and jivelite successfully with this image? Are there limitations?
I am asking since I read through the thread and saw that Man in a Van reported having it running already on the 3rd entry in this thread, but still now many answers later there are discussions / various options with different drawbacks(?) described.
Sorry for my ignorance.
-> Can someone provide some sort of idiots guide provide on how to get squeezelite & jivelite installed and working with this image?
(The joggler hobby really shows how I get older over the years - each year updating the system seems to get trickier and I can remember less of what I did last time.... although I try to write down notes....)
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

@jogglerhase

I hope all is well :)

Make a back-up of your working installation :!:

I use a small SanDisk Cruzer Fit usb2 stick (16gb) user is of and psswd joggler

FOR JIVELITE;

I have installed Ralpy's Jivelite but can only get limited Artwork, so I continue to build my own. It's not very pretty but seems to work.

When the joggler boots up, log in and run

sudo of-expand
When the screen come back up, log in and wait for the message
Drive resizing complete
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Make a bash script to install Jivelite
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open a Terminal

sudo nano install.sh
This will open a new window, enter the following text,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#!/bin/bash
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade -y
sudo apt install -y build-essential git libluajit-5.1-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libexpat1-dev
cd 
mkdir luajit
cd luajit
git clone https://luajit.org/git/luajit-2.0.git
cd luajit-2.0
make &&  echo joggler | sudo -S sudo make install
sudo ldconfig
cd 
git clone https://github.com/ralph-irving/jivelite.git
cd jivelite
sudo make PREFIX=/usr/local
cd
sudo apt -y install xserver-xorg && sudo apt -y install xinit && sudo reboot
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save the file by pressing Ctrl + O, and press enter, and exit using Ctrl + X

make it executable

sudo chmod -R 755 install.sh
Then type

./install.sh
it should run to completion and reboot; it may ask for confirmation of the keyboard package when installing xserver-xorg

Mine takes under sixteen minutes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the Joggler comes back up

ssh into joggler and type

sudo nano jivelite.sh
add the following text (replace user name if different)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#!/bin/bash

export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1

sudo -E xinit /home/of/jivelite/bin/jivelite
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make it executable

sudo chmod -R 755 jivelite.sh
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then set the crontab for start-up

sudo crontab -e
(select option 1 )

add at the botttom (change user name and location if different)

@reboot sleep 15 && /home/of/jivelite.sh

sudo reboot
I use a sleep so I can check the IP Address at boot

ronnie

I'll do squeezelite in a bit
Last edited by Man in a van on Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

SQUEEZELITE:

Install Squeezelite on Joggler;

I use the default Debian Squeezelite, this gives me a configuration folder, amongst system ctl and stuff.

If you want to use command line instructions for Squeezelite (or other config scripts, like Gerrelt's, then just install Ralphy.s from the start).

Refresh the repostitories

sudo apt update
Make the install

sudo apt install -y squeezelite
Find outputs:

squeezelite -l
configure squeezelite

sudo nano /etc/default/squeezelite  
I chose
sysdefault:CARD=MID

for the SL_SOUNDCARD and put -C 5 in the SB_EXTRA_ARGS

Save and exit

check that it works

sudo /etc/init.d/jivelite restart
Plugged my headphones into the back of the Joggler.
I could control the volume on the Joggler screen.
I accessed Alasamixer and increased the volume of "Master" to 0.00dB

To update to Ralphy's version

Copy and paste this block of text into the Terminal, then press Enter

sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite stop
wget -O squeezelite-1.9.9.1403-joggler.tar.gz https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/squeezelite/linux/squeezelite-1.9.9.1403-joggler.tar.gz
sudo tar -C /usr/bin -zxvf squeezelite-1.9.9.1403-joggler.tar.gz        
sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/squeezelite
sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite start
rm squeezelite-1.9.9.1403-joggler.tar.gz
rm squeezelite.tgz
sudo reboot
When Jivelite comes back up,choose openframe as Player

ronnie
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

ronnie - thank you so much!!

I am blown away - that really looks like a fool-proof detailed how to.

I will try that next week.

Thanks again!!!

PS: Yes all is well here - hope the same on your side
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Just to add that I have now managed to use the Local Player Plugin on LMS v8.3.1 (one has to build the binaries for Perl 32).

I need to refine the update procedure but it's working, using the in built speaker currently and Jivelite to control things. :)

ronnie
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Has anyone managed to install the OS on the internal ram ?

I have a Cisco with the 2gb ram and would like to try it out.

I have tried using the "Reflash" but the install always fails with a message "image not recognised"

Any ideas ?

ronnie