Joggler as accurate flip clock

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Andi

Joggler as accurate flip clock

Post by Andi »

Hey all,

I've previously used old Android tablets for this but I also like to use them as Google Photo digital photo frames (using the Fotoo app, highly recommended) so I was wondering if the ol' Joggler could make an attractive flip (or nixie) clock?

Anyone any ideas of which setup (open frame or Android that you can download - all links seem to be dead now - or Linux) and then a suitable app on top? Preferably fitting on the internal memory, so there's no drive sticking out the side and I can preserve WiFi for ntp.

Here's what I have a Nexus 7 doing at the moment:

hawsey

Re: Joggler as accurate flip clock

Post by hawsey »

There are several Android clock apps that could be used, the main problem is disabling the back light I think.
What are you using on that Nexus please? That looks great.
Also I think the latest Linux build would definitely have options for this but I've not got it to boot properly yet.
As for internal boot , I don't think Android can but Linux is OK, you can get some really small USB drives that would hardly be seen.
Happy Joggling
Andi

Post by Andi »

That app is ZenFlipClock which after trying most in the Play Store, seemed to be the best, for free ;-)

I've been pretty sucessful with Ubuntu on the Joggler due to roobarb! and his great builds. Is there an Android build where the download works? All the links in here are dead :(

I've just found a Nook eReader (which runs Android) in the cupboard.. trying to reserect that now so I can try and eInk flip clock too!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Andi wrote:That app is ZenFlipClock which after trying most in the Play Store, seemed to be the best, for free ;-)

I've been pretty sucessful with Ubuntu on the Joggler due to roobarb! and his great builds. Is there an Android build where the download works? All the links in here are dead :(

I've just found a Nook eReader (which runs Android) in the cupboard.. trying to reserect that now so I can try and eInk flip clock too!
Thank you, I'll try that app.
I definitely have a copy of Android probably 2 different on hard drives but not readily available just now, I'll ask on the other thread for you. Image
I might enlist your help to get a bootable Ubuntu, I've tried a few times with no luck.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Here's one build

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qcgven49t ... g.tgz/file

Happy Joggling
Andi

Post by Andi »

Awesome, thank you for the build. I'll grab that now.
And, I made an eInk version.... ;-)

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

@Andi with this build I think you have to put a tick in the box in settings to stop the screen going to sleep or you can't wake it up.
Thanks to @dwl99 as I think he posted this build and can probably tell you more about it .

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Andi wrote:Awesome, thank you for the build. I'll grab that now.

Oooo I do like my Nook St tablet, that is cool Image

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

hawsey wrote:

Oooo I do like my Nook St tablet, that is cool Image

Did that work fine on the NST ereader? What Rom have you got working on it please? I bought one recently to hack but the Rom I found was no good.

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Also I found this advice, I'm not sure if it is still sound though.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1598#p19800

Happy Joggling
Andi

Post by Andi »

Thanks for the link sourcing!

Since it's ICS (Android 4.4) it's not going to be much better than what I managed to get on the Nook (which is Android 2.1 internally, but managed to boot to Cyanogen 11, which is ICS link) and the Flip-7 app that runs on that, isn't the greatest... no seconds, no date. Couldn't find any nice Nixie clock apps that still work on that old an-Android too. Ah well, it was a nice idea!

I'll think of something more Linux'y to do with it..