Joggler nas box

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Andrew1971

Joggler nas box

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All.
Is it possible to use the joggler as a media server for films and music.
If so how hopefully not to techy.
Andrew
hawsey

Re: Joggler nas box

Post by hawsey »

Andrew1971 wrote:Hi All.
Is it possible to use the joggler as a media server for films and music.
If so how hopefully not to techy.
Andrew
Hi Andrew,
It works OK for music but for movies it is limited unfortunately, I had mine set up with plex and logitech media server and was even able to stream my music from outside my network on plex.
I gave up on it eventually.
It was not easy to set up the way I had it.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Cheers for the reply Hawsey.
That's a shame the joggler looks ideal for that sort of thing.
What does everyone else use for their media server/Nas box as I have
a small pc I could use but with what software.
Many Thanks
Andrew
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Andrew1971 wrote:Cheers for the reply Hawsey.
That's a shame the joggler looks ideal for that sort of thing.
What does everyone else use for their media server/Nas box as I have
a small pc I could use but with what software.
Many Thanks
Andrew
A raspberry pi 4 would work well for a lowish powered media server Image

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Andrew1971 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:17 am That's a shame the joggler looks ideal for that sort of thing.
It works great (especially with its gigabit ethernet) if all you need it to do is serve content from a drive to a client, just as a classic NAS fileserver would.

However, server software such as Plex has a fair overhead and will try to convert content server-side to deal with client and bandwidth limitations. Recompressing video on the fly just isn't something the Joggler can cope with. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Relating to NAS building here have DIY'd two NAS boxes over on the Serve the Home forum. Both are similar but in different cases. If interested will repost my builds here. They are both running BSD XigmaNAS (a split off from FreeNAS)

One case is a Silverstone DS380 and the other a custom smaller 8 drive case purchased from China ($200)
silverstone.jpg
Had to modify air flow on the Silverstone case due to engineering flaws. Not recommended. I got the case for free.

1 - Xeon Haswell chipped motherboard - 16 Gb RAM - 2 Gb NICs
2 - LSi Raid controller - upgraded firmware
3 - 8 SAS Enterprise drives running ZFS today.

This box holds music and 4K videos these days and streams to my Kodi 4K boxes these days. I am getting 116 Mbs transfer rates on it which is close to line speed on my Gb network.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jkn

Post by jkn »

FWIW: I have a Supermicro server which I run with a low-power server and fans as slow as possible for power consumption reasons. I use this as my storage NAS and server for LMS music.

I am currently running Ubuntu server on it but I would like to move (back) to a more NAS-based distribution. I used FreeNAS a few generations of my home server configuration ago.

I'm keeping an eye on TrueNAS SCALE, mainly because I hope it will help me run a load of Docker containers to allow other stuff to run at the same time. Still in Beta though, and awaiting a bit of my 'copious free time'...
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

As time goes by I become increasingly nervous about the Drobo in my cupboard... ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)