Looking for original app*.tgz firmware file / help to boot from USB

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
niwa

Looking for original app*.tgz firmware file / help to boot from USB

Post by niwa »

I have a Telio Touch (OpenFrame 2) that I'm trying to put to use. I think I was able to enable telnet and run Ubuntu on it 10-ish years ago, but I can't remember for sure. Telnet doesn't work now, and I'm unable to boot from USB. I've now tried many different images, usb sticks and usb hubs. I also soldered a USB connector to the camera port and connected the keyboard there and the USB stick to the other port. I'm able to interrupt the boot process, but if refuses to boot from the USB stick. If I type "fs1:boot", nothing happens. "fs1:<enter>boot" will boot the built in OS. It seems is doesn't recognize or isn't willing to boot from the USB stick. Also tried fs2:, fs3: etc.

I'm thinking of trying to set up a web server pretending to be the openpeak domain and make it do an update from there, but I can't seem to find any original .tgz update files.

Any tips on how to proceed or if anyone still has a tgz update available that would be really helpful!
pete

Re: Looking for original app*.tgz firmware file / help to boot from USB

Post by pete »

Here over the years have had similar issues. Is the boot rom on the motherboard socketed or soldered in to place?

I would try different USB sticks and utilize a manual USB keyboard and kept blind typing.

I too have have modded one Openframe 2 with a second USB port from the camera traces.

Maybe try a miniPCIE sata controller (not mSATA) and try to boot from a sata drive?

Here still using the Jogglers as Squeezeplayers and embedded Windows Home automation touchscreens ...over 10 years now.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
niwa

Post by niwa »

Thanks for replying :)

The boot rom is soldered.

I've tried 5 USB sticks so far. Two of them has LEDs, one light up early, before EFI, but doesn't blink at all when I type in the EFI prompt. The other one lights up only after the EFI.

The keyboard seems to work, as I can successfully interrupt the boot. Boot only continues after typing boot<enter>. Is there any reason to try another keyboard?

If a USB stick fails once, is there any point in trying that again? Are there some ROMs that doesn't boot on some devices? Does the ROM even matter as long as the EFI doesn't even seem to recognize the USB stick?

I've also tried to enable telnet using the opupdt. I have both .sum and .usb-sum and have updated the package to have the script inside the .tgz file, but no success. (Recreated the sum-files to match the new tgz)

Btw. the software is from Telio, version 30659 Nov 27 2012
pete

Post by pete »

Are there some ROMs that doesn't boot on some devices? Does the ROM even matter as long as the EFI doesn't even seem to recognize the USB stick?

I have seen the 1Mb boot roms get trashed maybe once. I would keep trying different USB sticks. I only mentioned the keyboard cuz some were different than others. That you can interrupt the boot with your keyboard is good.

My favorite boot rom is the Avaya boot rom if you get to the point of replacing the rom. I am running the Seabios and Avaya roms here on the Jogglers, Openpeak-1 and 2 computers.

Maybe tapping in to the miniPCIE card slot with a boot device will work for a new booting device. Here tried a Crystal Vision HD card and it worked well at the time for KODI many years ago. Today you can purchase one of those mini pcie 1-2 port true sata cards.

You would have to remove the combo wlan / bt card.
s-l1600.jpg
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
niwa

Post by niwa »

Thanks will try to dig up some more USB sticks, and will also try with an USB SD card reader before investing in an miniPCIE adapter.

I see I wrote ROM, what I meant was OS images. I suppose that if the USB stick was recognized but the OS incompatible it wouldn't have booted the installed OS from fs0 after typing fs1: fs2: etc and then boot. It seems to never change from fs0 to any other fs number in the EFI prompt.
pete

Post by pete »

All I can write here is to keep trying. I have only done this less than 5 times in many many years. I have hot swapped the rom chip once only on one Joggler.

BTW there are three different Jogglers out there in Internetlandia:

1 - original O2 Joggler
2 - Openpeak (labeled) device which resembles an O2 Joggler but has working Zigbee and DECT chips, microphone and a large metal heatsink inside.
These were sold as telephony and energy devices.
3 - Openpeak 2 A tad less than the Openpeak devices in a bigger case with speakers in front and using a mini pcie for wifi and bluetooth. These are stripped down Openpeak (Joggler size) devices with the meat of DECT and Zigbee and CMOS battery and same CPU and 2 Gb of RAM rather than 1 Gb of RAM.

I think there are posted pictures of each of these devices. I do have an Openpeak 2 device here that looks like a prototype for the O2 Joggler as the motherboard is stripped of zigbee and dect chips and labeled Joggler inside. Here hardware modified the original Openpeak tabletop computer with a cmos battery, firmware for the NIC and installed an SSD drive in them. These also run Windows embedded and or Linux in Seabios and Linux in the original EFI boot rom.
- Pete

Auto mater
DJWillis

Post by DJWillis »

@niwa,

I recently got my hands on an OF2 Telio Touch device that had suffered the later Telio EFI update that nobbles USB boot and telnet/usb upgrades etc. along with most sane ways of recovery. Desoldering the EFI and popping in a socket is not something I plan to try.

The old thread here viewtopic.php?t=683 has some interesting info.

USB support and blind booting feels almost impossible on this Telio EFI, well I have not been able to get it to work with a dozen or so known good USB stick/hub combinations that work on all my other Jogglers/OF1's and Cisco OF2. The same setup on the other units blind boots just fine and they almost always see the USB as fs1 in the EFI.

My current plan is to see what can be done in terms of spoofing some DNS and a local server to see if we can trick it into slurping down an upgrade. I have also been struggling to get the files needed to have a stab at this but I think roobarb! may have a set archived (but I think he is really busy at the moment).

While this is not much help right now, I'll post if anything works or discover interesting stuff (don't hold out that much hope) to this thread.
niwa

Post by niwa »

I was finally able to break in using DNS spoofing and a web server sending commands as reply to the heartbeat. Will create a new thread describing how it works.
DJWillis

Post by DJWillis »

niwa wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:09 am I was finally able to break in using DNS spoofing and a web server sending commands as reply to the heartbeat. Will create a new thread describing how it works.
Awesome, that was the path I was going down (spoofing the app update server) but had not managed to get it working just yet, got distracted trying more simple exploits to break in ;) .

The unit I have has a very late build (by OpenPeak standards), 38510, Nov. 2014, so I was starting to wonder if anything changed.
niwa

Post by niwa »

@DJWillis
I have now posted the details. My Telio Touch was an older one, 30659 Nov 27 2012, hopefully this exploit still works on yours as well.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

DJWillis wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:45 am The unit I have has a very late build (by OpenPeak standards), 38510, Nov. 2014, so I was starting to wonder if anything changed.
I'm not sure we've got a copy of one that "recent" - any chance we could get a copy to add to the collection?

Last one I have for the OF2 is 30291.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
DJWillis

Post by DJWillis »

roobarb! wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:17 am I'm not sure we've got a copy of one that "recent" - any chance we could get a copy to add to the collection?
I'll grab it off the device later, I was going to PM you about adding it if you are still collecting them.