Updating SqueezePlay ... I don't get it

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
stripwax

Updating SqueezePlay ... I don't get it

Post by stripwax »

(aka three dumb questions: WHICH version of WHAT is recommended and how to update?)

Hey all,
I've been running Sqpos 30301 for a couple years, and it just worked, and I've not really thought about updating it (I installed and flashed to memory, and I left it there, great).

1. *should I* be in the habit of updating anything? Does it need updating? apt-get is available, but *should I* use it, or should I not use it?
2. Squeezeplay itself seems a pretty old version - something else I didn't really think about but due to a recent discovery of a bug, I'm now aware that I should think about it... should I try to update it / it is straightforward (even if not obvious to me)? Is it upgradable or just simply built in and I should look for an updated sqpos instead? (See q 3)
3. Should I ignore 30301 and just use the latest_316 (or even latest_54) builds instead?

The bug, btw, is that I observed the clock stops working after approximately 23 days. I'm using the Custom Clock plugin, it's also probably quite old, and seems to rely on the number of jiffies being monotonically increasing (and with a 32-bit signed int, it wraps at 23 days). Maybe that's a coincidence, but for the last few months I've been keeping an eye on it, and right around the 23 day mark, the time on the clock stops updating, I wake up and the time is stuck at like 9pm yesterday. And (other than the uptime command) I can't see a great way to diagnose. I strongly suspect a software error, I don't know if it's in the Custom Clock plugin, or Jive, or Squeezeplay, or something else; hence the three questions above: updating, upgrading, or ditching !

(And if you think I'm going nuts, and I should just report my bug even though I'm running an old plugin on an old Squeezeplay version on an old OS that I have never updated, that's great - let me know where I should report it)
(And related to item 3, if I should approach latest_54 as fully usable other than the ALSA bug, happy to do that; I'm only sticking with 30301 for now to see if I can resolve the above bug. And of course if it's already known and fixed let me know how can I find that - I've tried and found nothing much in Jive bugtraq)

Thanks!
Last edited by stripwax on Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
stripwax

Re: Updating SqueezePlay ... I don't get it

Post by stripwax »

Hm, make it four dumb questions, because I found a new bug which (from some research) seems to have been fixed in a newer Squeezeplay version:

I recently rebuilt my LMS (actually now I have two, I'm still recompiling the other one). The Squeezeplay "My Music" option on the Joggler lists just my old server and mysqueezebox.com . If I try the "Switch Library" option, it tries to connect to the old server (which fails because it's offline) and asks me if I want to Switch Library. Yes, I do, so I pick the Switch Library option, and ... it tries to connect to the old server again and then asks me if I want to Switch Library...
I saw this mentioned in the forum (via search), but didn't see an obvious solution, other than manually adding the IP Address of the new server (via Add Library).
Now, I could do that, but it seems the automatic registration is supposed to work - my newer LMS is supposed to respond to broadcast from the Joggler so that it advertises itself as available to Squeezeplay.
That doesn't seem to be happening for me though.
Can anyone confirm if the automatic registration DOES work, with the sqpos 30301 I mentioned above; or conversely whether it's actually a known bug? (e.g. it seems Squeezeplay 7.8 doesn't have this issue, although I've not tried it)

If it's supposed to work (and someone can confirm, and the problem is networking on my side somewhere) then great.
Alternatively, if it's known to not work, but I should upgrade *something*, then great too. This information seems lost in the forum perhaps somewhere.

[UPDATED] Well, all my other LMS players found my new server just fine, so it's obviously a bug in SqueezePlay (or at least the version in the Sqpos 30301 build) (Which I can't see how to update). Rather than add my new server IP manually to the Joggler SqueezePlay, I just fixed my old LMS server on the original IP address. And that fixed the dumb loop connecting to the server that isn't running.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

The only reasons to worry about updating really are security and compatibility. So long as you're not exposing that Joggler directly to the internet you're probably fine on the first one. I've not kept my eye on the ball with regards to SqueezePlay or LMS recently, but others seem to be having successes with a fairly minor patch I should work in to the latest version. But don't feel like you have to upgrade if you don't need to. The manufacturer certainly isn't pushing out anything new to existing hardware. ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

roobarb! wrote:The manufacturer certainly isn't pushing out anything new to existing hardware. ;)
While true that the manufacturer isn't ... the community is!
There is new firmware for Squeezebox Touch and Controller that resolves a few things and now support in LMS for installing that firmware.

The 23 day issue, although in a different guise, is one issue that has been recognised but, I think, not yet fixed.
stripwax

Post by stripwax »

Paul Webster wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:39 am The 23 day issue, although in a different guise, is one issue that has been recognised but, I think, not yet fixed.
Ah, interesting. I couldn't find any references (I looked through logitech bug tracker too). Do you have a link?
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

History of the discovery, reproduction and potential solutions starts here - reboot after 24.8 days approx
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthre ... g-on/page3
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Paul Webster wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:39 amThere is new firmware for Squeezebox Touch and Controller that resolves a few things and now support in LMS for installing that firmware.
Oh, that's cool. I wonder if this old Squeezebox behind me has any community firmware.
Paul Webster wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:39 am The 23 day issue, although in a different guise, is one issue that has been recognised but, I think, not yet fixed.
On what platforms does that manifest?

It would be great if I had time to look into these things but sadly I get very little these days, hence such late night posting! I also have no systems running Squeezeplay personally at the moment as I tend to bounce everything into the Jogglers / OpenFrames over AirPlay from my phone more often than not (and have the display show the artwork, or something completely different, such as home automation info).

I'm happy to see kernel 5.4 is now supported through to 2025, so unless they longterm 5.10 that seems like a nice place to stay for the time being. Shame nobody has been able to figure out the ALSA hotplug audio jack issue broken since kernel 3 though.

Rambling now, checking out!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)