Just bought my first Joggler! - What should I do with it (Squeeze Player Controller is top priority)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
DamianS

Just bought my first Joggler! - What should I do with it (Squeeze Player Controller is top priority)

Post by DamianS »

Hi Everyone,

I'd never heard of a Joggler a couple of weeks ago. Now, thanks to the SlimDevices forum and ebay, I own one.

My device I have seems to have OpenPeak installed.

My main (only?) use for the Joggler, initially, is to act as a user friendly remote for the slim devices in my house (SLIMP3 and Squeezebox).

Ease of use is key! The family pretty much don't use the home music system any more in favour of just having Spotify on their phones.

So, the Squeezeplay OS is probably what I should install, but I'm also interested to know what this thing can do!

Can it act as a decent Kodi frontend? I have a Jellyfin & Kodi system, so playback on the Joggler would be nice! However, I can't imagine that it's powerful enough for that(?)

Anyone got any food for thought?
pete

Re: Just bought my first Joggler! - What should I do with it (Squeeze Player Controller is top priority)

Post by pete »

Welcome to the Joggler forum @DamianS.

Did you get the Openpeak device with the two speakers in the front or the one with the speakers in the back?

Squeezeplayer works the best on the Jogglers with 1Gb of OS space. Kodi did work OK on the Openpeak devices with 2Gb of OS space during the Ubuntu 14.X times.

Try this for installation on the Jogglers with 1Gb of OS Space

1 - Download Reflash system for Openpeak here ==> hxxps://birdslikewires.net/openframe-flash
2 - Download Ubuntu 18.X and install image on reflash stick ==> hxxps://birdslikewires.net/debian-for-openframe
3 - write image to Openpeak. Wait until image is written and Openpeak shuts down.
4 - update build
5 - go to
cd /usr/local/sbin
run Squeezplayer script.

Here utilize my Openpeak devices as Squeezeplayers, Ubuntu desktops and Windows embedded touchscreens.

The Windows Jogglers are modded with 16Gb SSD drives and Seabios which replaces the original EFI bios.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
DamianS

Re: Just bought my first Joggler! - What should I do with it (Squeeze Player Controller is top priority)

Post by DamianS »

pete wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:20 pm Did you get the Openpeak device with the two speakers in the front or the one with the speakers in the back?
I didn't know that there were different versions. Mine certainly doesn't have any speakers at the front, so I guess they are at the back.

Is that bad/worse?

Thanks,
Damian
pete

Post by pete »

Is that bad/worse?

No.

1 - There is the Openpeak O2 Joggler
2 - There is the Openpeak 1
3 - There is the Openpeak 2

#2 and #3 where used by the telcos (had built in DECT for said use) and where used by the energy sector and had built in Zigbee to monitor electric and thermostat stuff.

The O2 Jogglers / Squeezeplayers have done well for me now for just about 10 years.

These devices were made ahead of their time with Intel Atom CPUs which spoke to the cloud.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
DamianS

Post by DamianS »

pete wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:15 pm Is that bad/worse?

No.

1 - There is the Openpeak O2 Joggler
2 - There is the Openpeak 1
3 - There is the Openpeak 2

#2 and #3 where used by the telcos (had built in DECT for said use) and where used by the energy sector and had built in Zigbee to monitor electric and thermostat stuff.

The O2 Jogglers / Squeezeplayers have done well for me now for just about 10 years.

These devices were made ahead of their time with Intel Atom CPUs which spoke to the cloud.
Thanks Pete,

I've been downloading some different images to try.

Do I just put them on a USB for trying them out, and then use the ReFlash tool once I decide which OS I want to go with?

Thanks,
Damian
DamianS

Post by DamianS »

I tried a couple of different OS's tonight, and then went with Pete's suggestion.

I followed these instructions ...

1. Download Reflash system for Openpeak here ==> https://birdslikewires.net/openframe-flash
2. Download Ubuntu 18.X and install image on reflash stick ==> https://birdslikewires.net/debian-for-openframe
3. Write image to Openpeak. Wait until image is written and Openpeak shuts down.
4. Log in
Username: of
Password: joggler
5. Update build
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
Note: I answered 'N' (default) to 2 requests, because answering yes, on a previous attempt, broke things.
6. Update the 'of-' scripts
sudo of-update
7. go to
cd /usr/local/sbin
8. Install squeezeplay
of-install squeezplay

Everything was going well, but I now have a system that's in an infinite rebooting loop.

I see the O2 logo. Then the squeezeplay boot screen. Then, after a couple of minutes, it flashes black and goes back to the O2 boot screen.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks,
Damian
pete

Post by pete »

@DamianS

Saw the same here doing my O2 Joggler for Squeezeplay use.

It might be some buffer or read / write issue on doing the update.

Skip the update step and try again.
- Pete

Auto mater
DamianS

Post by DamianS »

Yep. That worked!

Thanks Pete,
Damian
pete

Post by pete »

Good news DamianS.

You might want to write a new NIC ROM to your built in O2 Joggler. Note that the O2 Joggler came with a blank NIC ROM. If you write a ROM to the NIC then you can put the O2 to sleep and wake it up remotely (if you leave the power cable plugged in).

Using a Russound zoned audio system and use the Jogglers as audio sources as I can remote control them.

Here running LMS on a combo MythTV, LMS and Plex server on a Lenova Tiny M93.

Using newly built NAS for my music which is an update to an older NAS box running with an LSi controller / 8 SAS drives in ZFS mode (first time doing this).
The SAS drives are very industrial. Actually built two identical boxes and one serves as a back up and it is in off mode right now.

Recently over the last year have purchased Lenova Tiny M93's with 16Gb of RAM running on a Haswell chipset. Little marvels for the price of a bit less than $90 USD. I have another one running Windows 2016 server and it does well. All in all have purchased 4 of these and they have really tiny footprints.

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - 1605892076 @ Fri Nov 20 21:27:07 CET 2020

Recently installed Plex server on the box and tried the new Plex server client for the Openframe 2 (with 2Gb of play space). You can install this on a USB stick to give it a go. Give it a try to see how you like it.
- Pete

Auto mater
DamianS

Post by DamianS »

pete wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:29 pm Good news DamianS.

You might want to write a new NIC ROM to your built in O2 Joggler. Note that the O2 Joggler came with a blank NIC ROM. If you write a ROM to the NIC then you can put the O2 to sleep and wake it up remotely (if you leave the power cable plugged in).

Using a Russound zoned audio system and use the Jogglers as audio sources as I can remote control them.

Here running LMS on a combo MythTV, LMS and Plex server on a Lenova Tiny M93.

Using newly built NAS for my music which is an update to an older NAS box running with an LSi controller / 8 SAS drives in ZFS mode (first time doing this).
The SAS drives are very industrial. Actually built two identical boxes and one serves as a back up and it is in off mode right now.

Recently over the last year have purchased Lenova Tiny M93's with 16Gb of RAM running on a Haswell chipset. Little marvels for the price of a bit less than $90 USD. I have another one running Windows 2016 server and it does well. All in all have purchased 4 of these and they have really tiny footprints.

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - 1605892076 @ Fri Nov 20 21:27:07 CET 2020

Recently installed Plex server on the box and tried the new Plex server client for the Openframe 2 (with 2Gb of play space). You can install this on a USB stick to give it a go. Give it a try to see how you like it.
It's nice to hear from a MythTV user!

If you're active on the MythTV newsgroup, then you probably helped me out on there too over the years! :-) I used MythTV for a LONG time, but finally gave up on it last year. The TV signal in our area is so bad that our viewing habits changed, so we didn't use the live TV or Recording aspects any more. So, I switched to a Jellyfin backend which connects to a Kodi frontend on our projector.

Your Lenova's sound very nice. My latest purchase (before the Jogglers) was a tiny Odroid N2+. That's an amazing bit of kit which I have connected to the projector and running Kodi.

My server is an old HP ProLiant MicroServer with a few drives thrown inside. It's a bit long in the tooth now, but still doing everything that our house needs it to do.

I have no idea about the O2 Joggler's blank NIC ROM. I thought that the process that I'd done above wrote to the internal memory. Are you saying that there's 'another' internal memory? How do I write to that?

All fun and games.

I'm liking the Joggler so much that I ordered another one last night! :-)

Do you know if it's still possible to get Kodi running on a Joggler? I don't use Plex, I went with Jellyfin.
pete

Post by pete »

Yes here do not record much these days with MythTV. I have been on the forum for many many years ..pete_c or petec there....

Always more in to DBS satellite here. Had a 3 meter dish way long time ago connected to a Houston Tracker 8. Got in to DBS here and purchased a Nexus satellite card for my then PC with a multiple LNB dish that hit a few birds way back. Most of my DBS tinkering stuff came from the UK at the time.

That said I do have two HD Homerun OTA plugged in to the network. My television STB's today are Kodi 4K boxes. That said I have disconnected the built in to the TV Roku stuff. Still using satellite and use cable here for only the internet. Last built Kodi boxes are Android repurposed with Ubuntu KODI and they are tiny little boxes that work well. Using 8 core Arm CPUs - S912's

All of the above and really do not watch much TV. Wife does watching mostly cooking shows. Personally just watch movies or series.

I have no idea about the O2 Joggler's blank NIC ROM. I thought that the process that I'd done above wrote to the internal memory. Are you saying that there's 'another' internal memory? How do I write to that?

The original O2 Jogglers had no OS written to the Realtek Gb NIC and no MAC address. You write a new MAC address and put in the OS to the Realtek ROM.
I have documented the process here on the forum. It's a bit involved.
1 - write a Seabios ROM to the boot rom
2 - boot via a USB stick to DOS
3 - using the old realtek NIC writing ROM program you program the NIC.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

BTW did get Kodi running sort of well on the Openframe 2 with 2Gb of internal OS space and a fitted Crystal HD card running Ubuntu 14.XX way long time ago.

Plex client would work better with same setup drivers running Ubuntu 14.X maybe.
- Pete

Auto mater
DamianS

Post by DamianS »

pete wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:27 pm BTW did get Kodi running sort of well on the Openframe 2 with 2Gb of internal OS space and a fitted Crystal HD card running Ubuntu 14.XX way long time ago.

Plex client would work better with same setup drivers running Ubuntu 14.X maybe.
I'd be very interested to see if Kodi could run on Ubuntu 18.04, but I'd better wait until someone else figures it out. I think that's beyond me! :-)
pete

Post by pete »

It will run fine except for having 1 gb of playspace unless you utilize a boot usb stick and video will not be that good. I have a few hardware customized Openpeak 1's with 16 gb ssd mostly running windows embedded and one running Ubuntu 18 with a 64 gb ssd card and an rtc clock wired in. I might have KODI on it. Thinking last time I tried it it was just too slow at video. The GUI was faster than the Plex client.

I use Armbian here on my old Rock chip computers and little TV boxes.
- Pete

Auto mater