What can i still do with a joggler?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Jetpac

What can i still do with a joggler?

Post by Jetpac »

I was having a clear-out can came across an old joggler in a box.

I remembered this forum and i can't believe it is still here!

I was wondering what sort of stuff can be done with the joggler nowadays? I already have devices like Echos around my house and am totally out of the loop in terms of the development!

Is there a way of having it as a spotify controller or similar?

Any pointers or suggestions would be wonderful rather than it going to waste!
hawsey

Re: What can i still do with a joggler?

Post by hawsey »

There is an active Squeezeplay thread here .

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Lots of uses still for the old Joggler as Linux is still going strong also .

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Most uses I know about are running Squeezeplay (still very popular) or displaying home automation control panels through a web browser. I really must add an easy-installer for Chrome without a desktop at some point, it works very well. They also work brilliantly for displaying graphs and general monitoring. For a giggle I set up four, each showing a different camera. :)

Given the built-in gigabit networking they work remarkably well as NAS 'heads' too, turning dumb USB drives into network storage. You're not going to break any speed records, but you get the bonus of lots of screen space for status information.

Last one off the top of my head which hasn't really caught on (but I still use every day) - my Shairport OS system. Maybe the name doesn't really describe what it does, but as an Apple Music subscriber I use this all the time.

Basically, install it to one or more OpenFrames and they will appear in iOS and macOS as AirPlay Audio receivers. Then stream your audio to them and they will display the artwork and track information. Stream the same thing to more than one from the same device and they'll perfectly synchronise. There's some configuration for using external USB audio amps and the like, though I forget - I haven't altered the ones I use in literally 5 years. They also don't care about hard power-offs without shutdown as the OS is almost (if not entirely) read-only. Again, I forget exactly. I have mine on smart plugs which turn them all off each night and back on in the morning.

Last but not least, they still fetch £25-30 on eBay and if you're thinking of putting it in the bin, I'll pay your shipping to send it to me instead. I occasionally get asked for spare parts. :D
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Jetpac

Post by Jetpac »

roobarb! wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:56 am Most uses I know about are running Squeezeplay (still very popular) or displaying home automation control panels through a web browser. I really must add an easy-installer for Chrome without a desktop at some point, it works very well. They also work brilliantly for displaying graphs and general monitoring. For a giggle I set up four, each showing a different camera. :)

Given the built-in gigabit networking they work remarkably well as NAS 'heads' too, turning dumb USB drives into network storage. You're not going to break any speed records, but you get the bonus of lots of screen space for status information.

Last one off the top of my head which hasn't really caught on (but I still use every day) - my Shairport OS system. Maybe the name doesn't really describe what it does, but as an Apple Music subscriber I use this all the time.

Basically, install it to one or more OpenFrames and they will appear in iOS and macOS as AirPlay Audio receivers. Then stream your audio to them and they will display the artwork and track information. Stream the same thing to more than one from the same device and they'll perfectly synchronise. There's some configuration for using external USB audio amps and the like, though I forget - I haven't altered the ones I use in literally 5 years. They also don't care about hard power-offs without shutdown as the OS is almost (if not entirely) read-only. Again, I forget exactly. I have mine on smart plugs which turn them all off each night and back on in the morning.

Last but not least, they still fetch £25-30 on eBay and if you're thinking of putting it in the bin, I'll pay your shipping to send it to me instead. I occasionally get asked for spare parts. :D
That all sounds ace!
I did have it running squeeze OS before (but have not used a music library since then! having moved to spotify)
I just installed the openframe OS on there to see if it was useful at all... and it isnt anymore!

I have literally no coding knowhow unfortunately so anything other than out of the box stuff that you guys have set up is out.

My most likely use case is that i would want it set up on my desk or in my workshop (using Wifi) if it could be used as a digital photoframe/Spotify remote (only) that would be fantastic or maybe showing network stats from my Unifi Network?/ Download monitor?

What do you think the best approach would be?
What does using spoify look like using Squeeze OS and is the version in the thread post 1 that is linkled above still the most current version?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Jetpac wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:10 pm What does using spoify look like using Squeeze OS and is the version in the thread post 1 that is linkled above still the most current version?
I used to use Spotify with the Spotty (?) plugin for Logitech Media Server, it worked very well. You used the on-screen keyboard to search for songs or play your playlists. Requires a premium subscription though and Spotify's best feature (music discovery, IMO) is free. I did use the beta web interface for Apple Music for a bit - worked, but the lack of integrated on-screen keyboard was trouble, so Spotify is probably still the best way to go.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Micki-CH

Post by Micki-CH »

roobarb! wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:22 pm
Jetpac wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:10 pm What does using spoify look like using Squeeze OS and is the version in the thread post 1 that is linkled above still the most current version?
I used to use Spotify with the Spotty (?) plugin for Logitech Media Server, it worked very well. You used the on-screen keyboard to search for songs or play your playlists. Requires a premium subscription though and Spotify's best feature (music discovery, IMO) is free. I did use the beta web interface for Apple Music for a bit - worked, but the lack of integrated on-screen keyboard was trouble, so Spotify is probably still the best way to go.
Without any Spotify premium subscription: is there anyway I can use spotify to just listen to radio or discover music?
Maybe my english is not good enough, but what did you mean with music discovery is free?

thank you
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Micki-CH wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:33 pm Without any Spotify premium subscription: is there anyway I can use spotify to just listen to radio or discover music?
Maybe my english is not good enough, but what did you mean with music discovery is free?
No, sadly the premium subscription is required to work with SqueezePlay / LMS.

With music discovery I was referring to this being free in the main Spotify app, not through the API for use on other devices.