MineCraft Server

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Shonk

MineCraft Server

Post by Shonk »

My son wanted a minecraft server up 24/7
and i didnt want to stop my pc's sleeping

anyway here's the required files for anyone who wants them

http://www.mediafire.com/?013cu6azaxb1umw

Extract it to either
/mnt to run off a usb stick
/media to run off the internal flash

type /mnt/minecraft if its on a flash drive
type /mnt/minecraft2 if its on the internal drive

you may well want screen and terminfo
which i got from here

http://pgregg.com/projects/joggler/
Shonk

Re: MineCraft Server

Post by Shonk »

In my case

I would ssh into the joggler

type screen
type minecraft
close putty

(my minecraft script is located in /bin)

blc

Post by blc »

That's an interesting idea - I'd never thought of using the joggler to run a Minecraft server. I currently use my main PC to host a server... Where did you get the Java version from - could this not just be copied (or ln'ed) into /usr/bin so that you don't need to keep it all in the same folder? And why are you running an offline server, out of interest? That's a bit of a security hole, unless you block the ports or use a whitelist.

Plus, you may want to use the -Xms and -Xmx parameters to limit the memory usage - I had to do this with my VPS, which also had only 512MB, or I'd get serious problems.

I may give this a try - although I'll be using Linux Mint, rather than the stock OS.
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

Haha this is awesome- typically I've just bought a server :O

This'll do for a LAN party me and some friends are organising in November - limited outgoing bandwidth at the place we are hosting it so if I can have one of these linked up to a network switch it'll do nicely :D

We should get a Joggler Owners Minecraft Server going!
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

Blimey... does the Joggler have the capacity to support a Minecraft server?? WOW...
Better not tell my 12 year old who runs servers for his class at school!!
Shonk

Post by Shonk »

-Xms -Xmx seemed to cause problems
it runs much better without it for some reason

it also runs far better off the internal storage

im running an offline server
as i only have one account
between three kids

blc wrote:That's an interesting idea - I'd never thought of using the joggler to run a Minecraft server. I currently use my main PC to host a server... Where did you get the Java version from - could this not just be copied (or ln'ed) into /usr/bin so that you don't need to keep it all in the same folder? And why are you running an offline server, out of interest? That's a bit of a security hole, unless you block the ports or use a whitelist.

Plus, you may want to use the -Xms and -Xmx parameters to limit the memory usage - I had to do this with my VPS, which also had only 512MB, or I'd get serious problems.

I may give this a try - although I'll be using Linux Mint, rather than the stock OS.