fitting/using an external I2S DAC rather than a USB one?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jkn

fitting/using an external I2S DAC rather than a USB one?

Post by jkn »

Hi All
Apologies if this should be in the 'hardware hacking' board, or has maybe been done to death previously, but I couldn't find much on this with a bit of searching...

I am thinking of getting another of my stash of jogglers up and running with SQPOS. I am already using a couple of these with an external USB DAC of some sort, and am happy with them.

But looking around on the cheap DAC front, there are a lot of boards with I2S input nowadays (eg for the Raspberry Pi), instead of USB.

Is there any mileage in adding one of these to the Joggler instead of using USB? I'm happy doing hardware hacking etc, but don't really want to be a pioneer right now...

Thanks for any thoughts ;-)

Jon N
jkn

Re: fitting/using an external I2S DAC rather than a USB one?

Post by jkn »

Hmm, I may have answered my own question. There doesn't seem to be any I2S reference on the STAC9202 datasheet...
themystical

Post by themystical »

jkn wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:15 am Hmm, I may have answered my own question. There doesn't seem to be any I2S reference on the STAC9202 datasheet...
I think you would have to “steal” the signals from the appropriate pins of the STAC9202 or the component that is feeding the pin.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%C2%B2S
Pins 4, 5,6 would be relevant here but I couldn’t spot the pin providing the LRCLK, possibly because of the difference in terminology. You would need to get clarification from the manufacturer.
jkn

Post by jkn »

Yeah - given the lack of I2S in the system,. and having reminded myself of the differences, I don't think this is worth pursuing (for me, at the moment). I already have a cheap USB DAC kicking around, I was just wondering about the alternatives...