SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
proddick

Re: SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

Post by proddick »

I decided (at last!) to upgrade a few of my Jogglers to this and am having major issues running it on internal storage with any of them - crashes, disk errors, etc.

Is it likely that *all* have failed or could it be something else? It works fine from USB, but not as convenient.

Also, is there any way to check wireless signal? I tried installing a few packages but most ended up crashing the system - I guess not compatible?
proddick

Post by proddick »

I think the OS updates broke my previous attempts with 3.16 so have tried again...

I built a new USB stick with 3.16 and installed Squeezeplay but no updates. I had it connected on Ethernet and it worked for an hour or so and then Squeezeplay crashed to the CLI. Testing again now...
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

proddick wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:02 pm I think the OS updates broke my previous attempts with 3.16 so have tried again...

I built a new USB stick with 3.16 and installed Squeezeplay but no updates. I had it connected on Ethernet and it worked for an hour or so and then Squeezeplay crashed to the CLI. Testing again now...
I see something similar - see my earlier post:
"I experienced some rare random crashes of the Jogglers GUI & Squeezeplay (no, sound, screen shows no Gui, only the std. promt; screen still reacts on touch and the access point functionality I set up for my Joggler also still works). Crashes mostly happend when listening to a playlist and one song ends and the next starts. I 1st thought its the aging USB drive, but error replicates on different USB stick as well.
I am not sure what causes this, however, since reverting back from LMS8.3 to LMS8.2 (and changing LMS settings to proxied streaming for the Joggler) seems to have fixed it"
-> Try LMS8.2 and / or proxied streaming for the Joggler (LMS settings - Player Tab - Joggler - Audio - Streaming method)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

proddick wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:02 pmI built a new USB stick with 3.16 and installed Squeezeplay but no updates.
Do you mean updates to SqueezePlay itself? No, since compiling that last version there've been no other changes.

I must revisit the 3.16 image and update the packages though; as new kernels are no longer being released under that branch it no longer generates fresh image files. In the meantime you could try a good, old-fashioned:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
That'll take a while on internal memory. Those flash ICs must be a little on the twitchy side as I've lost one recently too. Luckily it didn't need wifi, so I've just left a USB stick inside the Joggler which is much faster and more spacious.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

Paul Webster wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:04 pm I run LMS 8.0 nowadays and this has brought up an issue.
A fresh install on Joggler failed to work with LMS because the Joggler kept prompting me to update my LMS.

The reason is some faulty logic in Jive.

The full solution is probably to use a more recent build of Jive but I patched it by taking a couple of small changes.

in /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/jive/slim/SlimServer.lua
replace the routine isCompatible with

Code: Select all

function isCompatible(self)
	if self:isSqueezeNetwork() then
		return true
	end

if not self.state.version then
		return nil
	end

return self:isMoreRecent(self.state.version, minimumVersion)
end

function isMoreRecent(self, new, old)
	local newVer = string.split("%.", new)
	local oldVer = string.split("%.", old)

for i,v in ipairs(newVer) do
		if oldVer[i] and tonumber(v) > tonumber(oldVer[i]) then
			return true
		end
	end

return false
end
finally find it by google. great
plm

Post by plm »

Before I update my Jogglers to this new platform from sqpos, has anyone been able to solve the problem of Squeezeplay registering itself as a player in LMS, when you are using the Joggler as a control surface only and therefore don't want it to? Clearly the Logitech Controller firmware has a means of telling LMS whether or not you've enabled playback functionality on it, so it would be great if there was any sort of equivalent in Squeezeplay on the Joggler to be able to do the same.
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

It could probably be done ... but another approach is to run JiveLite rather than SqueezePlay and install/run Squeezelite if you want a local player (others have done that).
plm

Post by plm »

Paul Webster wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:44 am It could probably be done ... but another approach is to run JiveLite rather than SqueezePlay and install/run Squeezelite if you want a local player (others have done that).
That sounds like the best way forward. I see that Roobarb has packaged up a Debian Bookworm image for the Joggler on his site. Do you know if anyone has got Jivelite running on this, as specific topics related to JiveLite installs on more recent OS platforms seem pretty hard to find?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

plm wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:41 am
Paul Webster wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:44 am It could probably be done ... but another approach is to run JiveLite rather than SqueezePlay and install/run Squeezelite if you want a local player (others have done that).
That sounds like the best way forward. I see that Roobarb has packaged up a Debian Bookworm image for the Joggler on his site. Do you know if anyone has got Jivelite running on this, as specific topics related to JiveLite installs on more recent OS platforms seem pretty hard to find?
Best (imo) on a usb stick :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5194

Please report back ;)

ronnie
foolonthehill

Post by foolonthehill »

Thanks to @roobarb! and everyone else who has kept these Jogglers going. I continue to use my jogglers daily - one of which is on SqueezePlayOS (installed on internal memory) and has worked faultlessly for years. However, I have a problem which I am certain is new, and has appeared without any changes to the device, and is persisting a reflash of the squeezeplayOS image.

The device is used as a clock radio, so the screensaver is set to a clock option for "When stopped", with a suitable timeout. Rather than turning off the player (which correctly blanks the screen), we leave it on and when not playing it would show the clock after the timeout. But this has stopped working and I can no longer get any screensavers to activate: the screen just stays on the home menu. "Display Standby" still works to turn off the screen as expected (but is disabled).

I've run the ubuntu image from a USB stick to see if there are some errant messages perhaps coming from a failing touchscreen, but no input events appear to be triggered when not being touched. Any other ideas what could be preventing the screensaver from showing the clock, please?