SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Paul Webster

Re: SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

Post by Paul Webster »

An odd thing ...

ls: cannot access '/home/squeezeplay/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings/NowPlaying.lua': Input/output error
which I presume is why I cannot get to the Now Playing screen in Jive

I see that the file system is set as Read-Only ... so in theory it should not be corruptible ... but it is.

Apart from making a new USB stick image ... is there a a recommended way to try to fix the file-system (maybe just removing the file would be enough)?
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

Update ... looks like mounting as read-only is what it does when a bad error happens.

So I have started again from scratch.

I suspect that the corruption happened when I pulled a 3.5mm jack out of the socket in the back ... nasty screeching sound and screen overwritten with stuff (maybe a mammoth memory overwrite).

So perhaps there are still issues with hotplugging of the audio jack.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

jogglerhase wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:25 am Thanks again, roobarb!
I'm getting closer..
The above seems fixed.
One little other problem:
I am using the custom clock helper (CCH) plugin (along with superdatetime) and it does not work (which it did with your old SqueezePlayOS)
This needs to be installed both as a plugin on the LMS server as well as an applet on the Joggler.
When I do this (settings - advanced - install applets), the 1st odd thing is that I get a lot more applets then with my prior install (Chills jivelite).
Then, when I install CCH, I get a different version (2.12.140) then with my prior setup (1.03....)
That would not matter, but - it does not work:
Usually, you would go to settings - display - screensaver - custom clock helper and if you hit that entry, you get a selection of settings.
But currently, nothing happens when clicking (touching) that entry.

Any ideas?
Thanks for the great work, first of all.

I am having the same issue, nothing happens when selecting "Custom Clock Settings" on the joggler. The only difference is that I also have 2.12.140 on my older joggler squeezeplayers and they work ok, so it kind of rules out that version of the plugin.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Paul Webster wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:13 pm Update ... looks like mounting as read-only is what it does when a bad error happens.

So I have started again from scratch.

I suspect that the corruption happened when I pulled a 3.5mm jack out of the socket in the back ... nasty screeching sound and screen overwritten with stuff (maybe a mammoth memory overwrite).

So perhaps there are still issues with hotplugging of the audio jack.
Urk, sounds like it had a Bad Time! It will attempt to resurrect itself in RO mode should something go horribly wrong. It could be that there's voltage from your amp going down the audio cable, it does happen and could easily upset the device. An old-school test is to lick the 3.5mm jack. ;)

I used to be a live audio engineer, that was a quick check we did to determine the finnicky item in someone's home-made-synth-tower if we were short on DI boxes (basically isolating transformers). Got a right zap once! :lol:
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Paul Webster wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:07 pm I had a go at getting a USB audio device working (along with booting from USB) by putting a USB hub in place.
It allowed me to set things up worked - but on the next reboot there was no Squeezeplay any more and it dropped to a terminal prompt.
I managed to get things working again (to get Squeezeplay UI) by deleting
/home/squezeplay/.asoundrc
and rebooting

The contents of it that seemed to stop Jive loading up was

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
 type hw
 card 1
}

ctl.!default {
 type hw
 card 1
}

Hmm. So what do your working /home/squezeplay/.asoundrc and/or /etc/asound.conf contain?

That configuration is basically a first-past-the-post grab at exclusive access to card 1, which may or may not exist depending upon how reliable the USB chain happens to be.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

roobarb! wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:03 pm Hmm. So what do your working /home/squezeplay/.asoundrc and/or /etc/asound.conf contain?
I've killed that installation and am running on a different Joggler now (but from same USB stick and cables and amp) ... and it is behaving better.
So perhaps there is a hardware problem lurking in the other one.

I've left it running for 10 hours on 3.5mm jack and not noticed any crackles or light background noise.

With the other Joggler I thought that screen activity was having an effect on the audio (not beeps on pressing buttons but an introduced hiss).

So ... I'll try this other Joggler with USB audio tomorrow and see how things go.

later

Aha ... on the one that was not working so well I has a

1 [USB            ]: USB-Audio - VegaOne USB
                      Philips VegaOne USB at usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, full speed
which I think is the DECT chip ... but on the one that has been working well all day today I do not have one.
I suspect I got that one from Openpeak as a development aid in the early days when we were adapting our calendar server for the O2 Joggler and I was out and about hawking for extra business and needed something to show people before the service launched.

Does Jive/scripting know to avoid the Philips VegaOne ?
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

Possible issue ... I suspect that the MAC address is saved rather than being calculated each time ... with the consequence that when I took a USB stick from one Joggler and ran it in another the MAC address went with it.
I can see that this could be useful since LMS uses the claimed MAC address to assign player details ... but I think it would be better to use the physical MAC on each boot, and if really needed, then have an option to not do that (or have user provide it).
I came across this because I moved a USB stick to another Joggler to leave it on soak test and then made a new image for the original (troublesome) Joggler and found that I was getting clashes.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Paul Webster wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:02 pm
roobarb! wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:03 pm Hmm. So what do your working /home/squezeplay/.asoundrc and/or /etc/asound.conf contain?
I've killed that installation and am running on a different Joggler now (but from same USB stick and cables and amp) ... and it is behaving better.
So perhaps there is a hardware problem lurking in the other one.

I've left it running for 10 hours on 3.5mm jack and not noticed any crackles or light background noise.
Excellent! :D
Paul Webster wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:02 pm With the other Joggler I thought that screen activity was having an effect on the audio (not beeps on pressing buttons but an introduced hiss).
Yeah, for some reason this version of SqueezePlay doesn't seem interested in user interface sound effects. The hiss you hear is general system noise as the graphics changes are processed, you'll get the same if you run an intensive task in the background. It's actually pretty low-level if you're outputting a full level analogue signal and should be non-existent on USB devices.
Paul Webster wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:02 pm Aha ... on the one that was not working so well I has a

1 [USB            ]: USB-Audio - VegaOne USB
                      Philips VegaOne USB at usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, full speed
which I think is the DECT chip ... but on the one that has been working well all day today I do not have one.
I suspect I got that one from Openpeak as a development aid in the early days when we were adapting our calendar server for the O2 Joggler and I was out and about hawking for extra business and needed something to show people before the service launched.

Does Jive/scripting know to avoid the Philips VegaOne ?
Is that an OpenFrame 1 with DECT? Not an OpenFrame 2? :shock:

Would you mind posting some pics of it? I've never seen one (and I appreciate it likely looks identical to a normal Joggler) but I've been looking out for one for years. Does it have 'O2 Joggler' embossed on the back? Does it have the same internal storage?

There were OpenFrame 1 units with matching handsets sold as, I think, the Telefonica Orby, but I've never found one.

Anyway, to answer your question, no - I'd never thought to exclude DECT audio hardware on the OF1. I'll add that to the issues list.
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

From the outside it looks like a Joggler ... but the back has embossed Openpeak and the sticky label says Openpeak not and for the model number (on the sticker) it says OPENFRAMEBS rather than AO2JOGXN.

edit:
I have the handset as well ...
I tried to get that handset to mate with my local DECT base station and it sort of connected at one point I think but I could never get it to do anything.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Paul Webster wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:32 amI have the handset as well ...
Jealous! :mrgreen:
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

jogglerhase wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:43 pm
roobarb! wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:05 am
jogglerhase wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:25 am I am using the custom clock helper (CCH) plugin (along with superdatetime) and it does not work (which it did with your old SqueezePlayOS)
Any ideas?
...It may be that something was broken in v7.8, but the Squeezebox / Slim Devices forums would be a better place to ask - I know the operating system side, but the guys over there are the real aficionados when it comes to the software, especially LMS. At least that way you'd get a quicker and more authoritative answer - and if it is something I've missed they'll know how I can fix it fast!

Having said that, could you talk me through the steps to set up this CCH plugin? If I do get chance, I'll try to duplicate your issue.
Thanks again for your feedback, roobarb!

To understand what's going on, I installed squeezeplay (Version SqueezePlay-setup-7.8.0r1188 from ralphy) on my windows PC and the problem does not exist there.

To duplicate the problem on the Joggler, you don't need to install the plugin in LMS, you just need to install the applet in squeezeplay on teh Joggler:
In Squeezeplay: Go to settings -> advanced -> applet installer -> custom clock (uncheck 'recommended applets only', if custom clock is not visible)
This should install it.
Then go to settings -> screen -> screensavers -> custom clock settings
Clicking on this *should* yield a list config #1, config #2 aso
But this list does not show up, nothing happens when clicking / selecting custom clock settings
Hi roobarb!
did you have a chance to look into this?
As stated above, to my understanding, this should be a problem inherent to the SqueezePlay for OpenFrame setup, as I verified that a windows installation of squeezeplay does not show the problem.
That is also why I did not ask in the slimdevices forum for further help, as the problem does not show in a 'non SqueezePlay for OpenFrame' environment.

I hope this problem can be addressed, as I really would like to switch to this image.

All the best and thanks for all your work here!
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

One thing I have noticed as missing (because I use it on the old SQPOS) is the "Display Standby" function in Settings/Screen
I usually set this to 60 mins so that the screen goes off during a long listening session knowing that a quick tap brings it back.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:23 pm did you have a chance to look into this?
Not yet, might have chance this evening, but I'm working and taking care of the family so this is all very much as-and-when.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:48 pm
jogglerhase wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:23 pm did you have a chance to look into this?
Not yet, might have chance this evening, but I'm working and taking care of the family so this is all very much as-and-when.
Looks as though it relies upon the luajson json module which for some reason is not compiled in Makefile.linux, upon which Makefile.openframe was based. Looks like recompilation is in order and hope it still builds, because the OS doesn't provide Lua modules elsewhere, which is probably why this hasn't previously been spotted.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:37 am Looks as though it relies upon the luajson json module which for some reason is not compiled in Makefile.linux, upon which Makefile.openframe was based. Looks like recompilation is in order and hope it still builds, because the OS doesn't provide Lua modules elsewhere, which is probably why this hasn't previously been spotted.
Managed to get luajson module compiled in, but now the DNS lookup for fetching 'clock styles' doesn't work. It's because the applet is passing the protocol ("http://" in this instance) as part of the domain to be resolved, which is just daft. But we can't change the applet because it's hosted... somewhere...

I'll have to modify the DNS lookup code to strip the protocol from the domain, probably in SocketHttp.lua before it's sent to DNS.lua for resolution.

This is how seemingly simple issues snowball!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:35 amI'll have to modify the DNS lookup code to strip the protocol from the domain, probably in SocketHttp.lua before it's sent to DNS.lua for resolution.
Done. Merged into master, build system should pick it up shortly. When it's ready it should be available through Settings > Update.
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

Thank you so much for spending the time (night!!) and effort, roobarb!
I will try it today and will feedback.
Thanks again;
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Thanks from me also, very much appreciated.
I have applied the update and the Custom Clock settings can now be accessed. Super!
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

Hi roobarb!
... I hope I am not going on your nerves with my feedback on tiny issues.....
So - you fixed the CCH issue - it works perfect now after triggering the update!

But I noticed something odd with LCD brightness:

I have the brightness set pretty low (20%).
When I switch SqueezePlay off (with the Power Button in the upper left corner on the touchscreen) screen goes off. All good.
If I then touch the screen, a digital clock shows for a coupls of seconds (also all good - I like that feature especially(*)).
However, the problem: At the same time, screen brightness goes to max! (And stays on max)
In settings, it still says 20% - only after adjusting to i.e. 30% in settings, it goes down again

Other than that - great image! I like especially that setting it up is so easy & smooth!

I am back running SqueezePlay, LMS Server and AP on my kitchen Joggler - like with your image from way back - but with an up2date Ubuntu under the hood!
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

jogglerhase wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:49 pm Hi roobarb!
... I noticed something odd with LCD brightness:

I have the brightness set pretty low (20%).
When I switch SqueezePlay off (with the Power Button in the upper left corner on the touchscreen) screen goes off. All good.
If I then touch the screen, a digital clock shows for a coupls of seconds (also all good - I like that feature especially).
However, the problem: At the same time, screen brightness goes to max! (And stays on max)
In settings, it still says 20% - only after adjusting to i.e. 30% in settings, it goes down again
A new finding wrt LCD brightness jumping to 100% - might help to pinpoint the root cause:

When I do the same as described above - only substitute:
"When I switch SqueezePlay off (with the Power Button in the upper left corner on the touchscreen)"
With "switching it off via a remote control (i.e. Material Webpage)"
The brightness does NOT subsequently jump to max when I then touch the screen to see the clock!
It stays at the level what it was set to (i.e. 20%)