SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

Post by roobarb! »

Hey everyone,

Another rapid post; having used it myself for the past week or so, after a five year interlude I think it's time for SqueezePlay v7.8.

You will need the latest Ubuntu Bionic image on a USB stick or the image file downloaded onto the Reflash System for writing to internal memory.

Fire up your Joggler, SSH in with username 'of' and password 'joggler' - the IP address is now shown on the login screen! - and then:

Code: Select all

sudo of-install squeezeplay
When it's done:

sudo reboot
You should wind up with something that is remarkably similar to the previous 'SQPOS' version, but on an up-to-date operating system. Only big thing missing at the moment is shairport-sync for AirPlay compatibility, but I'll get that sorted.

Let me know how you get along with it!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
florca

Re: SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

Post by florca »

Thanks! I've been running the original SqpOS on internal flash very happily for a few years now and will give this a try from USB, either later today or tomorrow - thanks loads for keeping things current.

One thought... I run mine with an external USB DAC/Amp (Topping TP30), so the ALSA switching issue with the 5.x kernels wouldn't be an issue I think? Are there any benefits at all from running with a later kernel, and how difficult would it be to create a 5.x-based image in parallel for those happy to live with the problem - although I can see the problem with maintaining multiple forked images...?

Best wishes,

Phil
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

florca wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:57 pm Thanks! I've been running the original SqpOS on internal flash very happily for a few years now and will give this a try from USB, either later today or tomorrow - thanks loads for keeping things current.
No problem! It's turned into the equivalent of an infinite jigsaw puzzle and I find it a great way to learn. Docker, Travis CI and Kubernetes have been on my list for a while, and cross-compiling stuff to 32-bit always adds an extra section of sky to be pieced together. ;)
florca wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:57 pm One thought... I run mine with an external USB DAC/Amp (Topping TP30), so the ALSA switching issue with the 5.x kernels wouldn't be an issue I think? Are there any benefits at all from running with a later kernel, and how difficult would it be to create a 5.x-based image in parallel for those happy to live with the problem - although I can see the problem with maintaining multiple forked images...?
Honestly, while 3.16 is still maintained (it's living on like a zombie because millions of Android devices still rely upon it) there's no reason to move to a 5.x kernel. My build system can generate 5.x images with no trouble, but I've not spent the time testing the Realtek 8821CU driver on it - which, IMHO, is the best Joggler upgrade you can do (combined 5 GHz WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2 for £15).
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Hi everyone. Still Joggling and grateful that so are others. Couple of questions re. Squeezeplay which I installed on a fresh Bionic USB stick running on a classic Joggler last night:

Am I being really dim re. sound setup (very likely at the moment) as I cannot get headphones to work without the speaker being on at the same time? Definitely does not meet with the wife's approval for a bedroom Jogger.

Edit: Ironically retaught myself to fix the sound issue by finding a six-year old post where I'd referred to another post re running the alsamixer command and setting Auto-mute to Line Out + Speaker via F6

My installation is also displaying the behaviour where 'screen off' screensaver still has a very very low backlight and the screen is not as off as when the 'power' button is pressed. Before I go and see if it is possible to reapply the classic patches from way back when, is this what other users are experiencing, along with a dig in the ribs from the other half in the night 'cos there is a bit of light in the room?
Last edited by offbeatdave on Sat May 23, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

roobarb! wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:17 am Hey everyone,
Another rapid post; having used it myself for the past week or so, after a five year interlude I think it's time for SqueezePlay v7.8.
You will need the latest Ubuntu Bionic image on a USB stick or the image file downloaded onto the Reflash System for writing to internal memory.
Fire up your Joggler, SSH in with username 'of' and password 'joggler' - the IP address is now shown on the login screen! - and then:

sudo of-install squeezeplay
When it's done:

sudo reboot
You should wind up with something that is remarkably similar to the previous 'SQPOS' version, but on an up-to-date operating system. Only big thing missing at the moment is shairport-sync for AirPlay compatibility, but I'll get that sorted.

Let me know how you get along with it!
Thank you, roobarb!
The above worked flawlwssly....
However, trying to add LMS Server (which worked in the past) on it, I still have trouble:
1) for some reason, this needs to be commented out from etc/fstab as Castalla shared earlier; (otherwise, LMS starts once, but after reboot hangs with 100% CPU load):

tmpfs    /var/log             tmpfs   noatime,size=16M      0    0
so, this is adressed.
2) Thie following I can not resolve and would appreciate help: I can not mount my NAS - which worked in the past via:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
sudo service autofs restart
Then edit /etc/fstab & add this line:

//192.xxx.xxx.xxx/station /mnt/diskstation cifs password=xxxxxxx,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,rw,mand 0 0
This fails already when doing service autofs restart: "failed, service not found"
I installed autofs, but still the NAS does not mount.....

-> Any hints or ideas?

One additoinal question: How can I set a root password on this setup?
I used to do: sudo passwd root, but when I do this in this setup it does not complain, but it does not let me login with root & the new pw...:'wrong pw'
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

offbeatdave wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:44 pmI cannot get headphones to work without the speaker being on at the same time? Definitely does not meet with the wife's approval for a bedroom Jogger.

Edit: Ironically retaught myself to fix the sound issue by finding a six-year old post where I'd referred to another post re running the alsamixer command and setting Auto-mute to Line Out + Speaker via F6
That's odd, because that should be taken care of on first boot. If it's been changed manually after the fact then it won't be changed back, but you shouldn't have had to do it the first time around. You can also set it through SqueezePlay, on Settings > Audio > Mixer (just guessing, something like that).
offbeatdave wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:44 pmMy installation is also displaying the behaviour where 'screen off' screensaver still has a very very low backlight and the screen is not as off as when the 'power' button is pressed. Before I go and see if it is possible to reapply the classic patches from way back when, is this what other users are experiencing, along with a dig in the ribs from the other half in the night 'cos there is a bit of light in the room?
That still needs fixing - because I started more or less from scratch with the v7.8 code not everything like that has been caught yet. It bugs me too though, so it's more likely than not to get sorted! ;)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:11 pm One additoinal question: How can I set a root password on this setup?
I used to do: sudo passwd root, but when I do this in this setup it does not complain, but it does not let me login with root & the new pw...:'wrong pw'
You still set the root password that way, but password-based authentication for root over SSH is disabled by default for security. Just run:

sudo of-settings rootssh enable
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

Thanks, roobarb!

(Wrt my problem mounting my NAS - that was related to my setup:
I had another Joggler running in my network and somehow the system got confused by its presence.... When I shut that one down, NAS access works as described)
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

So, I have it all set up. But somehow, jive_alsa goes after a couple of minutes to 100% CPU load (as seen by top)
(I have also LMS running on the Joggler - as well as running it as an AP)
Chills image - which is based on your bionic image (setup in the same way) does not do that.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:17 pm So, I have it all set up. But somehow, jive_alsa goes after a couple of minutes to 100% CPU load (as seen by top)
Check your /etc/asound.conf or reconfigure with Settings > Audio Settings > Audio Interface.

I had exactly the same thing and (at least for me) it always boiled down to an ALSA misconfiguration. The settings from Settings > Audio Settings > Audio Interface have been tested for days and days on my kitchen unit now.
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

Thanks again, roobarb!
I'm getting closer..
The above seems fixed.
One little other problem:
I am using the custom clock helper (CCH) plugin (along with superdatetime) and it does not work (which it did with your old SqueezePlayOS)
This needs to be installed both as a plugin on the LMS server as well as an applet on the Joggler.
When I do this (settings - advanced - install applets), the 1st odd thing is that I get a lot more applets then with my prior install (Chills jivelite).
Then, when I install CCH, I get a different version (2.12.140) then with my prior setup (1.03....)
That would not matter, but - it does not work:
Usually, you would go to settings - display - screensaver - custom clock helper and if you hit that entry, you get a selection of settings.
But currently, nothing happens when clicking (touching) that entry.

Any ideas?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:25 am I am using the custom clock helper (CCH) plugin (along with superdatetime) and it does not work (which it did with your old SqueezePlayOS)
Any ideas?
I'm very light on the plugins (only Spotty and iPlayer here) so I'm really not up to speed with this side of SqueezePlay.

It may be that something was broken in v7.8, but the Squeezebox / Slim Devices forums would be a better place to ask - I know the operating system side, but the guys over there are the real aficionados when it comes to the software, especially LMS. At least that way you'd get a quicker and more authoritative answer - and if it is something I've missed they'll know how I can fix it fast!

Having said that, could you talk me through the steps to set up this CCH plugin? If I do get chance, I'll try to duplicate your issue.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Just checking ... as far as I understand, the wifi is still not working on Openframe 2 devices?
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

Up and running here.
Was useful that it popped up the IP address on the login screen as I had not plugged a hub in to only had the USB stick .... so could SSH into the IP address that it showed on screen.
Now off to try the WiFi.

Well done.
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

ah ... no WiFi config offered from SqueezePlay menus - at least I have not found it yet (standard Joggler).
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

... edited /boot/network.yaml and now have WiFi

Wish I had read the whole page when downloading - instead of simply downloading, flashing and booting.
At least I worked out how to setup the WiFi and was later pleased to find it was the documented way of doing it ;)
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

I've left it playing for an hour and it feels quite a lot warmer to the touch than another Joggler playing via SQPOS.
Is there anything I can adjust (clock speed perhaps?) to have it run cooler?
I've just set backlight to Automatic instead of the default of 60% to see if that cools it a bit.
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

roobarb! wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:05 am
jogglerhase wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:25 am I am using the custom clock helper (CCH) plugin (along with superdatetime) and it does not work (which it did with your old SqueezePlayOS)
Any ideas?
I'm very light on the plugins (only Spotty and iPlayer here) so I'm really not up to speed with this side of SqueezePlay.

It may be that something was broken in v7.8, but the Squeezebox / Slim Devices forums would be a better place to ask - I know the operating system side, but the guys over there are the real aficionados when it comes to the software, especially LMS. At least that way you'd get a quicker and more authoritative answer - and if it is something I've missed they'll know how I can fix it fast!

Having said that, could you talk me through the steps to set up this CCH plugin? If I do get chance, I'll try to duplicate your issue.
Thanks again for your feedback, roobarb!

To understand what's going on, I installed squeezeplay (Version SqueezePlay-setup-7.8.0r1188 from ralphy) on my windows PC and the problem does not exist there.

To duplicate the problem on the Joggler, you don't need to install the plugin in LMS, you just need to install the applet in squeezeplay on teh Joggler:
In Squeezeplay: Go to settings -> advanced -> applet installer -> custom clock (uncheck 'recommended applets only', if custom clock is not visible)
This should install it.
Then go to settings -> screen -> screensavers -> custom clock settings
Clicking on this *should* yield a list config #1, config #2 aso
But this list does not show up, nothing happens when clicking / selecting custom clock settings
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Paul Webster wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:35 pm I've left it playing for an hour and it feels quite a lot warmer to the touch than another Joggler playing via SQPOS.
Is there anything I can adjust (clock speed perhaps?) to have it run cooler?
I've just set backlight to Automatic instead of the default of 60% to see if that cools it a bit.
You can add this to the kernel boot options in /boot/grub.cfg

thermal.psv=60
I run the test OpenFrames on a power monitoring plug and they use no more power at max than usual (usually topping out at 10-12W when compiling stuff or playing video). However, the thermal limits are set to allow it to ramp up to its full 1.33 GHz whenever it needs to, so it will either be that or the backlight.

If you find it stuttering just increase the thermal limit upwards.
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

I had a go at getting a USB audio device working (along with booting from USB) by putting a USB hub in place.
It allowed me to set things up worked - but on the next reboot there was no Squeezeplay any more and it dropped to a terminal prompt.
I managed to get things working again (to get Squeezeplay UI) by deleting
/home/squezeplay/.asoundrc
and rebooting

The contents of it that seemed to stop Jive loading up was

pcm.!default {
 type hw
 card 1
}

ctl.!default {
 type hw
 card 1