SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Paul Webster

Re: SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

Post by Paul Webster »

Looked like the same brightness when it came back. Certainly did not go back to 100% on return.
However, I was running .84 on another Joggler and that seemed to behave like I now see in .85
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

Sorry - coming back late to the game...

Is there any way to test it w/o a complete reinstall?
(I just put my Joggler back in the wall mounting and LMS including all plugins and other software is installed... although roobarb! made it as easy as possible, I am still hesitant to do a reinstall)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:42 pmIs there any way to test it w/o a complete reinstall?
Well, yes, it should be - but that would very much depend upon me knowing what it was that fixed the problem! :D

Honestly, I don't know what this was. I can't see anything in my changes that would really have fixed this. I made some configuration improvements, but good practice stuff rather which were all preliminary to really digging around... but then the problem was gone.

Perhaps it was something odd in the .83 kernel or a bug in the Xserver packages which have been resolved - but in that second case a simple apt update && apt upgrade should fix it - which it hasn't on my kitchen Joggler. Neither did the kernel upgrade I did.

So... sorry, I've not got to the bottom of why this is fixed!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Hmm, I'm running the updated version here, but still experiencing the 'back to full brightness' bug. Might have to try it on a different unit.

(Bizarrely, a few days before I did this, the previous version completely 'fixed' itself (100% issue disappeared and backlight turned off completely when screensaver set to screen off). I foolishly rebooted and the issues reappeared.)
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

offbeatdave wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:41 pm Hmm, I'm running the updated version here, but still experiencing the 'back to full brightness' bug. Might have to try it on a different unit.

(Bizarrely, a few days before I did this, the previous version completely 'fixed' itself (100% issue disappeared and backlight turned off completely when screensaver set to screen off). I foolishly rebooted and the issues reappeared.)
Noooo, not an intermittent problem! :shock:
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
redtom

Post by redtom »

Returning to Squuezebox on a joggler after a while on Volumio on a Pi with a pi screen (horrible in comparison to the Joggler screen btw). I run LMS in a docker container on a Synology NAS and have a Project Pre Box Digital external Dac.

Had a weird issue when first booting where Squeezeplay would bin out to the command line when selecting the LMS install. Wanted to troubleshoot but could not find the player log (Nothing of note in the LMS log). Where does that live. A bump of the LMS version fixed the issue but it would be good to find out what the problem was to avoid other people hitting it.

Current issue is that I can't choose the dac for output. I can select the card in AlsaMIxer so it can be seen but I seem to be missing the option within Squeezeplay itself to select the dac. Didn't there used to be a 'Select output' menu option of something like that in the Audio settings?
redtom

Post by redtom »

Also, once I get the dac issue sorted, is the Triode 192 plugin still a thing?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

redtom wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:19 am Returning to Squuezebox on a joggler after a while on Volumio on a Pi with a pi screen (horrible in comparison to the Joggler screen btw). I run LMS in a docker container on a Synology NAS and have a Project Pre Box Digital external Dac.
Yeah, I've got one of those Pi screens as well. Guess we've been spoilt! It wasn't cheap, either - I could have picked up two more Jogglers!
redtom wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:19 am Had a weird issue when first booting where Squeezeplay would bin out to the command line when selecting the LMS install. Wanted to troubleshoot but could not find the player log (Nothing of note in the LMS log). Where does that live. A bump of the LMS version fixed the issue but it would be good to find out what the problem was to avoid other people hitting it.
The logs are all switched off by default - think it's Settings > Advanced > Logging, then you choose what you're interested in and redirect the output in /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh, or whatever other method you fancy.
redtom wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:19 am Current issue is that I can't choose the dac for output. I can select the card in AlsaMIxer so it can be seen but I seem to be missing the option within SqueezePlay itself to select the dac. Didn't there used to be a 'Select output' menu option of something like that in the Audio settings?
Should just be under Settings > Audio and there's a choice of internal or external, with or without software mixer. Without the software mixer SqueezePlay (well, Jive) will take exclusive control of the interface and alter sample rates on the fly. With the mixer all software on the Joggler can use the interface simultaneously, but all are clocked to 44.1kHz. You can tweak that in /etc/asound.conf, IIRC.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

redtom wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:21 am Also, once I get the dac issue sorted, is the Triode 192 plugin still a thing?
This I do not know, I didn't use it, so never kept up to date. I know the internal STAC9202 in the Joggler / OpenFrame 1 adjusts up to 96kHz while in exclusive (no mixer) mode, but though the specs say it'll do 192kHz, Jive has never successfully ramped up that high.
redtom

Post by redtom »

Thanks @Roobarb!

I seem to be having the same issue as Paul had back in May. Selecting the external dac means the joggler boots to the command line on restart. Deleting /home/squeezeplay/.asoundrc and rebooting gets the UI back again but still no functioning dac.

/etc/asound.conf and /home/squeezeplay/.asoundrc are as follows.

Code: Select all

pcm.mixer {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 3141
  ipc_key_add_uid false
  ipc_perm 0666
  slave {
    channels 2
    pcm {
      type hw
      card 0
      rate 44100
    }
  }
  bindings {
    0 0
    1 1
  }
}

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "mixer"
}

ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 0
}

pcm.!default {
 type hw
 card 1
}

ctl.!default {
 type hw
 card 1
}
Xorg.0.log has the dac being picked up as a keyboard. Not sure if that is relevant but doesn't seem right.

[    14.748] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital (/dev/input/event2)
[    14.748] (**) Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[    14.748] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital'
[    14.748] (**) Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital: always reports core events
[    14.748] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
[    14.748] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[    14.751] (II) event2  - Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[    14.751] (II) event2  - Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital: device is a keyboard
[    14.751] (II) event2  - Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital: device removed
[    14.776] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-4/1-4.2/1-4.2:1.3/0003:2772:0230.0002/input/input2/event2"
[    14.776] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital" (type: KEYBOARD, id 8)
[    14.776] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[    14.776] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
[    14.780] (II) event2  - Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[    14.780] (II) event2  - Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital: device is a keyboard
[    16.875] (II) modeset(0): Disabling kernel dirty updates, not required.
redtom

Post by redtom »

Found an old usb stick with my previous SqueezeplayOS install on it. It also sees the dac as a keyboard so that's not the issue.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

The /home/squeezeplay/.asoundrc will override the /etc/asound.conf one, IIRC, and that has card 0 selected. Can you try changing those instance to card 1?
thomashenry

Post by thomashenry »

Many thanks for rebooting this great project. I just updated my O2 joggler to the latest Ubuntu, writing to the internal memory. I installed Squeezeplay. and while everything does seem to work at first (connect to LMS, browse Spotty etc), I can't actually get any sound of the joggler. I'm just using the headphone jack. I had a look in the Settings->Sound and the option "internal/mixer" is set. Do I need to change this? I also notived that when I try to play a track (whether it be spotty or from my NAS), the play progress bar never actaully progresses.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Settings sound right, but if playback doesn't start there's usually something wrong with the source file or the output settings - not sure what it would be if this is an OF1 / Joggler and not a OF2. So, you're running LMS, everything has connected up correctly?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

So I have returned to my Cisco Openframe with the 2GB internal memory.

I imaged a usb stick and installed on the internal memory.
Ther appeared to be no .yaml file on the stick

Edit:

I found the file in /boot

of@openframe:/boot$ ls
boot.nsh          grub.efi              network.yaml          vmlinuz-3.16.85op
config-3.16.85op  grubq.efi             startup.nsh
grub.cfg          initrd.img-3.16.85op  System.map-3.16.85op
of@openframe:/boot$
I have tried to expand the file system but without success

of@openframe:~$ sudo of-expand
[sudo] password for of:

This will expand the root filesystem to use any unallocated space on this drive.

The system will reboot immediately to begin resizing. Please DO NOT interrupt th                                                                                                             e
process while there is drive activity and the /tmp/expanding file still exists.

WARNING! Resizing the root partition risks potential data loss!

Cancel with <CTRL-C> otherwise resizing now...

Found / on /dev/mmcblk0 partition 2 starting at .

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.31.1).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.

Command (m for help): Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 1.9 GiB, 2055208960 bytes, 4014080 sect                                                                                                             ors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xcd359736

Device         Boot Start     End Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk0p1 *        1   83984   83984    41M  e W95 FAT16 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2      83985 2006111 1922127 938.6M 83 Linux

Command (m for help): Partition number (1,2, default 2):
Partition 2 has been deleted.

Command (m for help): Partition type
   p   primary (1 primary, 0 extended, 3 free)
   e   extended (container for logical partitions)
Select (default p): Partition number (2-4, default 2): First sector (83985-40140                                                                                                             79, default 86016): Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G,T,P} (86016-4014079, de                                                                                                             fault 4014079):
Created a new partition 2 of type 'Linux' and of size 1.9 GiB.

Command (m for help): All space for primary partitions is in use.

Command (m for help): The partition table has been altered.
Failed to remove partition 2 from system: Device or resource busy
Failed to add partition 2 to system: Device or resource busy

The kernel still uses the old partitions. The new table will be used at the next                                                                                                              reboot.
Syncing disks.

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 1.9 GiB, 2055208960 bytes, 4014080 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xcd359736

Device         Boot Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk0p1 *        1   83984   83984   41M  e W95 FAT16 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2      86016 4014079 3928064  1.9G 83 Linux

The table for /dev/mmcblk02 has been extended and the partition must now be resi                                                                                                             zed.
This will take a few minutes, depending upon the size of the new partition.

Do not power off the system until the file /tmp/expanding has disappeared.

The system will reboot now...
On reboot the Openframe tries to reload the OS but fails, hangs for a short while and then retries without success and continues in a loop.

I struggled on with the LMS install (what a palaver :shock: ) and then completed the Squeezeplay install.

I'm using a Vonets VAP11N wireless bridge to connect to the Openframe via a small Hama usb2 hub.

It's all a bit slower than a raspberry pi, but worth the struggle ;) ..maybe :roll: :)

ronnie

Edit: I forget my file size status after installing several Plugins (just the essential ones)

of@openframe:~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            244M     0  244M   0% /dev
tmpfs            50M  3.8M   46M   8% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p2  924M  848M   30M  97% /
tmpfs           248M     0  248M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           248M     0  248M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           256M     0  256M   0% /var/cache/apt
tmpfs           256M     0  256M   0% /var/lib/apt/lists
tmpfs           192M   28K  192M   1% /tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p1   41M   15M   27M  36% /boot
tmpfs            50M     0   50M   0% /run/user/1000
of@openframe:~$
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

I run LMS 8.0 nowadays and this has brought up an issue.
A fresh install on Joggler failed to work with LMS because the Joggler kept prompting me to update my LMS.

The reason is some faulty logic in Jive.

The full solution is probably to use a more recent build of Jive but I patched it by taking a couple of small changes.

in /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/jive/slim/SlimServer.lua
replace the routine isCompatible with

function isCompatible(self)
	if self:isSqueezeNetwork() then
		return true
	end

if not self.state.version then
		return nil
	end

return self:isMoreRecent(self.state.version, minimumVersion)
end

function isMoreRecent(self, new, old)
	local newVer = string.split("%.", new)
	local oldVer = string.split("%.", old)

for i,v in ipairs(newVer) do
		if oldVer[i] and tonumber(v) > tonumber(oldVer[i]) then
			return true
		end
	end

return false
end
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Just wanted to report a problem with this version of SqueezePlay.
When in "Internal Direct" audio mode (since mixed seems to show some problems for 48kHz streams and SSL streams), any station using 22.05kHz sampling rate is played out at double speed.
One station exhibiting this is Kohinoor Radio in Leicester: http://81.136.142.17:8000/listen.pls?sid=1
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

DELETED
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Man in a van wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:23 pmI have tried to expand the file system but without success
Interesting. I'll take a look at that on my OF2.
Man in a van wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:23 pmTher appeared to be no .yaml file on the stick
That's the reflash system /boot you're looking at in Windows, it doesn't exist on there. It's only on the payload.
Jetpac

Post by Jetpac »

Ok! im up and running!

Is there any way to use the joggler with the spotty plugging literally just to control playback on a pc? (instead of playing on the joggler itself?)