SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Paul Webster

Re: SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

Post by Paul Webster »

Just had file system go RO again (on reboot)
dmesg

Code: Select all

[   22.165245] EXT4-fs error (device sda2): ext4_lookup:1446: inode #15061: comm jive: deleted inode referenced: 15067
[   22.167449] EXT4-fs (sda2): Remounting filesystem read-only
Annoying consequence if that Jive can no longer access the Now Playing screens.
So this time I am going to see if I can patch it back to life.
Not related to an signal going down the audio jack this time because now connected only via USB to an external DAC via a hub (which also has the USB stick).
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

sudo fsck /dev/sda2
fsck from util-linux 2.31.1
e2fsck 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
ROOT19D0 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Entry 'NowPlaying.lua' in /home/squeezeplay/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings (15061) has deleted/unused inode 15067.  Clear<y>? yes
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Unattached inode 15086
Connect to /lost+found<y>? yes
Inode 15086 ref count is 2, should be 1.  Fix<y>? yes
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

ROOT19D0: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
ROOT19D0: ***** REBOOT SYSTEM *****
ROOT19D0: 24887/451200 files (4.8% non-contiguous), 245081/1943677 blocks

... now to see if it helped ...
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

and we are back ... and I have the NowPlaying views again

mount
/dev/sda2 on / type ext2 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro)
Maybe automatically running fsck on boot could be worth doing.
In the end it might only be hiding a problem but might still be OK for a simple appliance that can be rewritten in event of unfixable error.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:02 pm Could you give me a hint on how I could bandaid my system so it does just the above (when switching SP off: screen just goes dark, not switching it completely off)?
I would hope that it then would not got to max brightness when switching it on again....
Things have been ramping up a bit recently, so I've not found time to look at this. Have you tried setting the backlight to automatic? Hmm, that probably won't help if it's jumping back to full, because it would rely upon checking the ambient light sensor periodically.

Take a look at /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/jive/JiveMain.lua. In there are some instances of 'xset' being run - comment them out with '--'.

I think I know a tidy way to fix the problem now, but I'm sorry I can't really promise any time to it right now. I will try, though.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

Hi roobarb!
Thanks again for the feedback.
Automatic backlight does not work for me, as the Joggler is mounted in a kitchenwall, so the sensor is 'blind'
But your above mentioned xset-bandaid works! (turning off now means a black screen w/ backlight LEDs still on - but staying at the low brightness I had set them and not going to max brightness) Thank you!

But I am also happy to hear, that you seem to have a proper fix up your sleeve (w/ LED turning off) down the road when time permits.

Great work! Runs really reliable for me for weeks now - with integrated LMS, AccessPoint and some minor home automation data collection stuff.
2 thumbs up!!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:04 am Great work! Runs really reliable for me for weeks now - with integrated LMS, AccessPoint and some minor home automation data collection stuff.
2 thumbs up!!
Ah, that's awesome! My big thing with doing this OS build was for it to be solid and supported, so it's great to hear it's cutting it!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:04 amBut I am also happy to hear, that you seem to have a proper fix up your sleeve (w/ LED turning off) down the road when time permits.
Gave this a first prod this evening. This is really just a note to self that the issue is definitely with X installed, as when running without Xserver the standard consoleblank kernel parameter respects the previous backlight setting, and even courteously turns the backlight off when blanking.

Interestingly, with no X it even respects the backlight setting across reboots.

Power usage with full backlight (on this not very accurate smartplug) reads 10W. Backlight off, 7W. Backlight at lowest, 8W.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:04 amBut I am also happy to hear, that you seem to have a proper fix up your sleeve (w/ LED turning off) down the road when time permits.
If you have a spare USB stick to hand, would you mind writing the latest 3.16.85 release , then running

sudo of-install squeezeplay
And playing with the backlight to see if it's working?

The one in my kitchen is on 3.16.83 and has the backlight-goes-to-full issue. The one I have next to me for testing is on 3.16.85 and doesn't have the problem, but no matter what I do to the 3.16.83 one (including upgrading the kernel) it just won't behave!
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

I just copied 3.16.85 to USB stick (and put the WiFi details in) and booted a Joggler with it.
It boots but is not picking up network interfaces (WiFi or Ethernet)
ifconfig only lists loopback.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Paul Webster wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:17 am I just copied 3.16.85 to USB stick (and put the WiFi details in) and booted a Joggler with it.
It boots but is not picking up network interfaces (WiFi or Ethernet)
ifconfig only lists loopback.
The image will start rebuilding in a minute, once it appears I'll give it a test.
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

Just tried the 10:45 image ... with same result.
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

Update - I reimaged and this time did not personalise the network.yaml file ... and now it gets Ethernet IP address.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Paul Webster wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:00 am Just tried the 10:45 image ... with same result.
IMG_5631.jpeg

Hmm. Working here. Want to try one of the earlier revisions?
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

I was running 84 prior to this without a problem.

Before I reimaged I had a quick poke around the logs and saw wpa_supplicant reporting an issue with "line 12".
I should have taken a photograph of the screen.
Anyway - now that I think I have a way to repeat it I can study it a bit more.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Paul Webster wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:57 am Before I reimaged I had a quick poke around the logs and saw wpa_supplicant reporting an issue with "line 12".
Double check the layout of your /boot/network.yaml file, something may have mangled it. Line 12 sounds like where your wifi SSID lives.

Ah, have you remembered to leave the semicolon on the end? That's caught me in the past.

Edit it and fire it up with

sudo of-netplan
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

Just looking at the original unedited file and I think I know what I did ...

good chance that I put the WiFi SSID after "YOURWIFINAME: " ...
will know in a few minutes.
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

That was it - sorry about the confusion.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Paul Webster wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:10 pm That was it - sorry about the confusion.
No worries!
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

With 3.16.85 - now that it is dark outside I can see that the screen backlight is not being switched off (have configured screen/when stopped to be Off & Backlight to Automatic).
If I press the on-screen power button (top left) then it does turn off the backlight.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Paul Webster wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:30 pm With 3.16.85 - now that it is dark outside I can see that the screen backlight is not being switched off (have configured screen/when stopped to be Off & Backlight to Automatic).
If I press the on-screen power button (top left) then it does turn off the backlight.
Yeah, the screensaver element of Jive doesn't yet take into account backlight control. But the biggy... after it's been to "sleep", does it return at full brightness or does it work properly and return to the brightness it was previously set to?