SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
bencat

Re: SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

Post by bencat »

Thanks Paul but as there is only one usb out I need that for digital out .
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

Just to prove that the hardware is basically OK.

Could always put a small USB hub in between.
bencat

Post by bencat »

Hi Paul

Thanks for your help I did what you often need to do with Jogglers and left the unit on for a couple of hours and it resolved itself and the correct starting page cam up and it works . I have no idea why this happens or why it works but as Ronnie (Man in a Van) suggested this is a good thing to do . So I can now give this away to the new owner with rthe clear knowledge that it is fully updated and working when it leaves me , after that it is their problem but as always will offer any help I can .
bencat

Post by bencat »

Okay I have been able to get the Joggler working but it will not output to the USD DAC attached to the USB . I can see the name of the DAC listed but when I choose it nothing happens . I used to use the Triode EDO and that worked but i do not think that can be SSH in to the current build . Any suggestions ?
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

SSH in and try running alsamixer (you might have to play with SSH terminal settings to allow you to navigate the menus properly) - it might just be that the volume needs to be boosted.

Also - a patch is coming to LMS 8 to allow the old Joggler SqueezePlay to connect without giving the LMS version error.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Paul Webster wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:04 pm Also - a patch is coming to LMS 8 to allow the old Joggler SqueezePlay to connect without giving the LMS version error.
Can confirm this as working :)

Good show

ronnie
bencat

Post by bencat »

What do you have to change on the Terminal to get the F Keys to work ? Currently if i touch the F6 Key which allows me to choose the soundcard it esc back to SSH prompt .
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

bencat wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:19 pm What do you have to change on the Terminal to get the F Keys to work ? Currently if i touch the F6 Key which allows me to choose the soundcard it esc back to SSH prompt .
From the Terminal

Code: Select all

Alsamixer 
>

Hit f6 and select output >

Adjust volume level >

Hit Esc >

in Terminal >

sudo alsactrl store

sudo reboot
bencat

Post by bencat »

Sorry Ronnie I meant the SSH Terminal . None of the FKeys on the alsamix work instead any F key I push just exits the alsamix . Also I need to to be able to choose the sound card and change the output to the USB DAC attached not change the volume which is easily done by switching the line along the bottom using the arrow keys left and right and then when on the right column using the up arrow . What i need is to be able to change the output which is I think F3 .
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

I do not remember which terminal type fixed it for me ... and I don't have an easy way to test it where I am now.

From memory, there are about 6 terminal types in Putty.
So try each in turn by disconnecting, select the next one, reconnect, run alsamixer ... f6 .... if it exits ... repeat
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Andrew I choose the usb output on the Joggler screen

Settings > Audio Settings > Audio Interface > External Mixer (which is what I use) [or Direct]

I normally do this while I have a open Terminal and reboot the Joggler with the command line, rather than tapping back through the screens.

I also use Putty (default screen, I didn't know there are others).

Both F3 and F4 take me back to the home screen.

F6 gives me the choice of output, not all usb outputs have a volume control.

ronnie
bencat

Post by bencat »

Think I have now solved this managed to reflash the Squeezeplay.os back on to the Jogglers and have put the Triode EDO on to each and when a USb DAC is connected able to choose and route things that way .

I am still at a loss as to why it was all working one day then no sound the next but this is probably due to the age of the units . Good to have them back to working how they should .
jogglerhase

SqueezePlay for OpenFrame - stopped working after Bionic update

Post by jogglerhase »

Hi all - esp @roobarb! ;
I am happily using SqueezePlay for OpenFrame on the Ubuntu Bionic image.
Every couple of month, I do a apt-get update & apt-get upgrade, to keep the system healthy.

However, after doing that the last time, Squeezeplay does not start anymore. The system reboots properly, but then stays on the login screen. (So, Ubuntu itself still seems to work, as I can ssh into the system)

Luckily, I made a backup image, which still works.

But, as said: Everytime, I try apt-get update & apt-get upgrade (or apt-get dist-upgrade), SqueezePlay won't start anymore.

Anybody seeing this as well? Any ideas what might be the problem?
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

I had to redo reinstall this SqueezePlay for OpenFrame image.
Still works nicely.
(Update: I used roobarb!s Ubuntu Bionic (Kernel 5.4) this time)

1) One question / remark: Something with the script update seems not to work anymore.
I get this error when I do:

sudo of-update
Received: OKQuery Error: Incorrect integer value: '' for column `openbeak`.`of_scripts`.`id` at row 1

Not a clue what happened here. This needs investigation!
Update aborted.
@roobarb! : Is there a chance that you could have a look?

2) And a side topic:
There is still this 'turning background light off' issue.
ralphy in the Slimdevices Forum seems to have a method to fix that; see here:
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthre ... ost1027289
However, that was aimed at chill's jivelite image. I tested it on this image and it *does* turn the backlight off also on this image - however, it seems not to work properly, as it does not switch it back on....
But maybe, that is a good starting poinbt to fix it for this image as well?

3) ...and here a potential fix for the "jive_alsa ~100% CPU load" issue:
Background: I use Jogglers Line Out to feed a Tivoli Radio in the kitchen. Since the Joggler is mounted in a Wall, I cut the internal Joggler speakers - so I don't care about Kernel 5.4 issue wrt auto swithing the output.
However, when I play music, jive_alsa goes to 100% CPU load. (This used to be fixable in the other Kernel / my older image by going into the Squeezeplay Audio settings and switch from mixer to direct output. However, that does not work for me anymore - the sound gets distorted / I hear crackling similar to clipping (regardless of alsamixer volumesettings)
So, after a lot of trail and error changes to etc/asound.conf, I found this setting to work for me with clear Audio from LineOut and low CPU loads:

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "mixer"
}

pcm.mixer {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 3141
  ipc_key_add_uid false
  ipc_perm 0666
  slave {
    pcm "hw:0,0"
    period_time 0
    period_size 1024
    buffer_size 4096
    channels 2
    rate 44100
  }
  bindings {
    0 0
    1 1
  }
}

ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 0
}
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:36 am 1) One question / remark: Something with the script update seems not to work anymore.

sudo of-update
Received: OKQuery Error: Incorrect integer value: '' for column `openbeak`.`of_scripts`.`id` at row 1

Update aborted.
Ah, yes - I see the same thing.

It's fixed now. Thankfully it's nothing to do with the script on the Joggler, as that would have meant trying to update the scripts without the automated script updater! ;)

I had updated PHP and MariaDB on the server a couple of weeks ago and missed that it now (correctly) implements the AUTO_INCREMENT function, as in, it errors out if it is sent content (even blank content) for an AUTO_INCREMENT column. The test script had a command that was written correctly, but the main scripts were sending an empty string and not NULL.

Basic mistake on my part, thanks for reporting!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:36 am 2) And a side topic:
There is still this 'turning background light off' issue.
ralphy in the Slimdevices Forum seems to have a method to fix that; see here:
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthre ... ost1027289
However, that was aimed at chill's jivelite image. I tested it on this image and it *does* turn the backlight off also on this image - however, it seems not to work properly, as it does not switch it back on....
But maybe, that is a good starting poinbt to fix it for this image as well?
I'd rather forgotten about this, or thought it was fixed. Thanks for the pointer.
jogglerhase wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:36 am 3) ...and here a potential fix for the "jive_alsa ~100% CPU load" issue:
Background: I use Jogglers Line Out to feed a Tivoli Radio in the kitchen. Since the Joggler is mounted in a Wall, I cut the internal Joggler speakers - so I don't care about Kernel 5.4 issue wrt auto swithing the output.
However, when I play music, jive_alsa goes to 100% CPU load. (This used to be fixable in the other Kernel / my older image by going into the Squeezeplay Audio settings and switch from mixer to direct output. However, that does not work for me anymore - the sound gets distorted / I hear crackling similar to clipping (regardless of alsamixer volumesettings)
So, after a lot of trail and error changes to etc/asound.conf, I found this setting to work for me with clear Audio from LineOut and low CPU loads:

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "mixer"
}

pcm.mixer {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 3141
  ipc_key_add_uid false
  ipc_perm 0666
  slave {
    period_time 0
    period_size 1024
    buffer_size 4096
    channels 2
    rate 44100
  }
  bindings {
    0 0
    1 1
  }
}

ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 0
}
Thank you for this, configuration of ALSA feels rather like a dark art at times. Please post back if this continues to work for you and I'll see if I can work it into the SqueezePlay image.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

roobarb! wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:24 am
jogglerhase wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:36 am 1) One question / remark: Something with the script update seems not to work anymore.

sudo of-update

Update aborted.
Ah, yes - I see the same thing.

It's fixed now. Thankfully it's nothing to do with the script on the Joggler, as that would have meant trying to update the scripts without the automated script updater! ;)

I had updated PHP and MariaDB on the server a couple of weeks ago and missed that it now (correctly) implements the AUTO_INCREMENT function, as in, it errors out if it is sent content (even blank content) for an AUTO_INCREMENT column. The test script had a command that was written correctly, but the main scripts were sending an empty string and not NULL.

Basic mistake on my part, thanks for reporting!
Thank you for fixng the script so quickly, roobarb!
Also wrt the configuration of ALSA : So far, it works and never exceeds 10% CPU load (and mostly stays or goes back to 1-2%).
But I have to say, that I just 'blindly' changed parts of the conf file (based on what I found in online Alsa documetation) until it worked.

But again: Thank you for providing this image!
In the meantime, I don't use it as a LMS server any longer (Rpi4 took that over - among other things), but it works since years reliably as our kitchen Squeezebox and also as the wireless Access-Point for that floor.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:59 amI don't use it as a LMS server any longer
Best way, I'm not sure I've written any installer for LMS in the latest version because I don't think the server-and-client-in-one gives a particularly good experience. The Joggler's more than powerful enough to handle the client work, but the server can make it struggle.
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

roobarb! wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:39 am
jogglerhase wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:36 am

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "mixer"
}

pcm.mixer {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 3141
  ipc_key_add_uid false
  ipc_perm 0666
  slave {
    period_time 0
    period_size 1024
    buffer_size 4096
    channels 2
    rate 44100
  }
  bindings {
    0 0
    1 1
  }
}

ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 0
}
..... Please post back if this continues to work for you and I'll see if I can work it into the SqueezePlay image.
I can report that these Alsa Settings work reliably now since over a week.

Another FYI / side topic:
Independent from the above, from which kernel-Verion I used and on 2 different Jogglers) I experienced some rare random crashes of the Jogglers GUI & Squeezeplay (no, sound, screen shows no Gui, only the std. promt; screen still reacts on touch and the access point functionality I set up for my Joggler also still works). Crashes mostly happend when listening to a playlist and one song ends and the next starts. I 1st thought its the aging USB drive, but error replicates on different USB stick as well.
I am not sure what causes this, however, since reverting back from LMS8.3 to LMS8.2 (and changing LMS settings to proxied streaming for the Joggler) seems to have fixed it
Again, just FYI in case someone else sees similar issues
(Squeezeplay Version is 7.8.1-r1002 - is that the 'latest & greatest?)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:18 amSqueezeplay Version is 7.8.1-r1002 - is that the 'latest & greatest?
Yeah, that's the one. It'll need a minor upgrade if I integrate those ALSA settings at some point.