Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick ) for the O2 Joggler.

Post by BuZz »

if you open up a terminal and type "florence" what does it say? does no applet icon appear in the tray ? check that florence is chosen under assistive technologies settings / preferred applications (this is how I auto start it rather than under startup applications)

Ill download and rewrite my maverick image and try and reproduce any of the issues. if you have no luck I can only suggest you try the same :)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

photor wrote:I have three error messages when booting, ACPI, EFI and i8042.c.
The system seems start up normally after that, but I don't know if there are some problems.
The screenshot is attached, thanks.
edit /boot/grub.cfg and remove "quiet" and "splash" and you should have a more verbose boot. However it looks as though you might want to try some different media, as it might be getting stuck when probing the usb.
Andy Mark

Post by Andy Mark »

BuZz wrote:if you open up a terminal and type "florence" what does it say? does no applet icon appear in the tray ? check that florence is chosen under assistive technologies settings / preferred applications (this is how I auto start it rather than under startup applications)

Ill download and rewrite my maverick image and try and reproduce any of the issues. if you have no luck I can only suggest you try the same :)

YES..... : preferred applications / Accessibility : Custom, (Run at start) Command: florence - YES it says florence in the text field (( I can also choose onBoard here))

.....and when i Launch the keyboard from applications drop-down nothing happens.......?
Andy Mark

Post by Andy Mark »

Andy Mark wrote:
BuZz wrote:if you open up a terminal and type "florence" what does it say? does no applet icon appear in the tray ? check that florence is chosen under assistive technologies settings / preferred applications (this is how I auto start it rather than under startup applications)

YES..... : preferred applications / Accessibility : Custom, (Run at start) Command: florence - YES it says florence in the text field (( I can also choose onBoard here))

.....and when i Launch the keyboard from applications drop-down nothing happens.......?

I can not write "florence" i a terminal window......I have no keyboard to write with :-) (( Is it in the same terminal window I write:
sudo -s
mkdir /opt; cd /opt
wget http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... lay/sqp.sh
chmod +x ./sqp.sh
bash ./sqp.sh install ubuntu
exit ))
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

there is no small picture of florence on the top panel? have you lost the notifications applet ? right click on panel, add to panel, notification area.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

photor wrote:I have three error messages when booting, ACPI, EFI and i8042.c.
The system seems start up normally after that, but I don't know if there are some problems.
The screenshot is attached, thanks.
I get them too; Googled each line ages ago and they're not a problem.

I also get 'usbhid 2-2:1.0: couldn't find an input interrupt endpoint' (or something like that). Also not a problem.

If you want rid of them, edit /boot/grub.cfg and remove the word 'quiet'. Those little messages will soon be lost in a super-speed-scrollthrough of messages. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Andy Mark

Post by Andy Mark »

BuZz wrote:there is no small picture of florence on the top panel? have you lost the notifications applet ? right click on panel, add to panel, notification area.
No there was no icon in the top panel.......BUT 3 hours ago I had an OAFIID:GNOME_NotificationAreaApplet ERROR....... I have just added notification area to panel - and I got the on-screen at start up ! :-) Great.....but no RIGHT CLICK menu when I press screen for seconds and the "Trigger secondary click by holding down primary button" is activated....?

We are almost there Mr. Sharlock Homes :-).......but why is RIGHT CLICK not active ?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

i mention how to reset this on the ubuntu download page
Andy Mark

Post by Andy Mark »

Andy Mark wrote:
BuZz wrote:there is no small picture of florence on the top panel? have you lost the notifications applet ? right click on panel, add to panel, notification area.
No there was no icon in the top panel.......BUT 3 hours ago I had an OAFIID:GNOME_NotificationAreaApplet ERROR....... I have just added notification area to panel - and I got the on-screen at start up ! :-) Great.....but no RIGHT CLICK menu when I press screen for seconds and the "Trigger secondary click by holding down primary button" is activated....?

We are almost there Mr. Sharlock Homes :-).......but why is RIGHT CLICK not active ?
(When I choose Left-handed Mouse Orientation I can force the RIGHT CLICK menu ......with ADD TO PANEL).....hmmmm ?
Andy Mark

Post by Andy Mark »

BuZz wrote:i mention how to reset this on the ubuntu download page

Yes; thanks....but when I unmark and then mark "Trigger secondary click by holding....." nothing happens.... I guess this option equals what you call: "Simulated Secondary Click" off.

Still no right click menu.....has this something to do with something else I need to addd to the panel ?

Dwell Click.....it is on now.

Hmmmm....
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

you dont want dwell click. if you switch the trigger secondary click off then on, it should work. try pressing once then again and hold. Personally I recommend you get a wireless usb keyboard or something so you can setup everything :)

make sure if you unmark it, to click/save the setting, then mark it again. I've seen this glitch before, probably some gnome/ubuntu bug.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I have noticed that Chromium very often locks up & greys out on certain websites, e.g. last.fm. On other sites it can become very sluggish and take a good 20 seconds for a mouse click to register. It seems to be related to the number of extensions I have added to Chromium. If I uninstall them all there is rarely a problem, if I try to use Autopager or Fastestchrome it will lock up. I think it must be due to Chromium needing a lot of memory to run and the extra resources needed by some extensions tips it over the edge & triggers CPU throttling.

Firefox is a good bit better in this respect but unfortunately there isn't a touch scroll extension for it.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Without looking at system logs i couldnt tell you what the problem is. see what's in dmesg for example after it has frozen. If you are changing the throttle point, it shouldnt throttle when browsing. did you check the temperature ?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Nope - don't know how to! :oops:
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

dwl99 wrote:I think it must be due to Chromium needing a lot of memory to run and the extra resources needed by some extensions tips it over the edge & triggers CPU throttling.
Have you adjusted your thermal.psv setting in /boot/grub.cfg? I had this problem when I was setting up a Joggler last night, then remembered it was still on the stock 70 degrees. I always set mine to 80, but even if you only tune it up by 5 degrees or so you will find a big difference (ie. the Joggler is usable!).

The hottest I have ever managed to get a Joggler CPU was 76 degrees, which was in a warm room running cpuburn. No hardware changes required.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

dwl99 wrote:Nope - don't know how to! :oops:
You can use the command:

Code: Select all

acpi -V
You'll probably need to install that first, mind.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install acpi
I know you can read the temperature by cat -ing something too, but I can't remember what off the top of my head. :)
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Thanks, will give it a go. To change the thermal cutout I take it I just edit the grub.cfg with gedit? I'm a bit worried about frying the cpu but I guess raising it to 75 deg would be safe enough?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

If you are unfamiliar with linux, but running it on the Joggler, I can recommend trying out the same distribution in VirtualBox and getting to know it a little. There are lots of tutorials around explaining the various parts of a linux system.

The CPU is unlikely to fry - I have been running mine for some time like that - I take no responsibility though of course heh . when playing with this stuff in the beginning, I ran a Joggler at 90c (I wouldn't recommend this high), for some time to see if I could get anything to melt ;-)
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Thanks, I already have 10.10 running on my PC in Virtualbox & have been messing about with Linux for a couple of years now, starting off with an NSLU2 (anyone remember them?). It's just that my knowledge is a bit patchy in places.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

BTW to get the temperature, typing "sensors" is a quick easy way