Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by pete »

Yup; today testing 3 Jogglers in the master bedroom. WAF is OK.

I remotely shut off the screens but do not suspend them and it works fine except for sometimes. Using the managed POE switch though I can power them off or on these days.

I distributed the HS2 stuff to two machines these days running 24/7.

I am also using the EXT4 build; base and fully featured Buzz's build.

Initially did test HS3 Zee (light) and HS3 Pro (heavy) on the Joggler Ubuntu build. Works fine.

I currently am "testing" HS3 for Linux on the Zee and HS3 Pro on a regular 64bit Ubuntu box. Not too much going on with Wintel HS3; its been mostly off these days.

The Openframe 2 box was used by Ayava as a DECT phone hub. The motherboard includes a battery, DECT chip, Zigbee chip and mini pcie card slot.

One USB port in the back and one custom for webcam USB port on the top. It is different than the O2 Joggler in that the EFI boot chip is soldered in place and it has 2Gb of SD memory built in versus 1Gb of SD memory. It does also have a PATA port ZIF traces, SIM card and mini SD card traces.

It seems a bit quicker than the O2 Joggler. I have been "playing" with these. Two are totally disassembled. Using a Broadcom Crystal HD card in one provides live streaming 1080 TV via XBMC TV and PVR stuff and working just fine. It is a bigger footprint with the speakers in the front. The table bracket though is sort of modular and removable such that an on wall bracket would be easy.

Happy New Year to you and your family!
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

manaesh wrote: I have rebuilt using the EXT4 image, and the ETH issue does not occur.

its running perfectly after reboots - and also seems MUCH quicker than the btrfs image - to install lubuntu desktop took around 5 hours on the btrfs image, just an hour on the ext4 image...

I think i will leave journalling on, the USB cards I am going to use are only £5 a go - and I have an easy to deploy image - not an issue if they go pop i think!

I have an image that now boots up into Mythtv, HStouch and Squeezeplay - navigation by a cheap MS Media Centre clone IR remote.. perfect!
btrfs due to the compression could be faster in some cases, but in others can be slower. Might also depend on media and ratio of read/write speed (slower sticks might do better on btrfs).

The other issue is etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules getting new entries for each random mac address - the mac address is not getting saved on boot, probably due to fs not being writable at the right stage or something with trigger order of upstart stuff. I will debug it (can reproduce it here).
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

btrfs also uses more cpu due to compression - you change throttle temp or have added additional cooling btw ?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Does look as though the upstart event I use to copy/save the mac address isn't being triggered. maybe some change to mountall - the btrfs fs is mounted read/write at the point ext4 is readonly, so maybe not being remounted with mountall. Considering reliability of btrfs in the kernel im using, I may just ditch it and stick with ext4.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

ok. I have a fix. You can test it now if you replace /etc/init/jogger-eth.conf with this

Code: Select all

# joggler-eth

description	"Creates/loads mac address for the Joggler built in ethernet"

start on virtual-filesystems

task

console output

script
  MAC="`grep "eth0" /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules | grep -o -E "([0-9a-fA-F]{2}(\:|\-)){5}[0-9a-fA-F]{2}"`" || true
  if [ "$MAC" = "" ]; then
    MAC="00:`cat /proc/interrupts | md5sum | sed -r "s/(.{2})/\1:/g; s/^(.{14}).*/\1/"`"
  fi
  OLDMAC="`ip link show eth0 | grep "link/ether" | cut -d" " -f6`"
  if [ "$MAC" != "$OLDMAC" ]; then
    echo "Setting Joggler eth0 mac address to $MAC"
    ip link set eth0 address $MAC
  fi
end script
you will also need to blank out any config lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

I'm still testing this but it is much simpler than before. no need to save temporary files anywhere etc and it fits in better with udev too. It grabs the MAC address for eth0 from /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. if it doesnt exist it creates one (which then gets set by udev later). next boot it just sets it to the one already saved in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. previous code relied on two events, and if they came in the wrong order it would all break horribly.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I pasted a broken script. should be ok now
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Buzz!

Yup here I had issues resizing the partitions with GParted and btrfs such the reason for me personally to going to the ext partition.

Yeah here I was building a new complete image for XBMC using your stuff. I did mess it up yesterday such that I will start again.

I lost my samba stuff when I installed the apple stuff and I cannot get my samba stuff back and the apple stuff didn't work anyways; faster to start from scratch instead of spending my time scratching my head. (but I didn't want the apple stuff in the first place; just playing with it though).
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
manaesh

Post by manaesh »

Thanks Buzz

I can confirm that script works for me across reboots! Thanks very much!

I think as you suggest, I will stick with the ext4 version however, it seems to be much quicker - and my image is now complete and tested!

@ Pete

Looking at testing HS3 now :) looking at Jon00s HS2-HS3 connector to test a few bits... Did you get that working under the linux version?

Cheers all

Mike
pete

Post by pete »

looking at Jon00s HS2-HS3 connector to test a few bits...
Works fine here.

I have installed Jon's application on a separate wintel PC talking to both wintel and linux pcs. I am running HS3 only on Linux. That said mostly testing the remote HS3 plugin(s) which talk to the HS3 mothership. These can run on linux or Wintel except for the ones that do not have Linux drivers.

IE: There is no abundance of TTS fonts in the Linux world such that I will probably continue to utilize my combination of various wintel voice fonts that I have. Today using AT&T and Neospeech fonts mostly.

The way2call box doesn't have any linux drivers such that I will most likely install the HSPhone plugin also on a wintel box.

Then again here using some 20 plus serially connected devices, more than 7 USB devices and doing remote USB with the Digi USB Anywhere and Lantronics USB to network stuff and now some 3 Quatech serial servers.

I continue to utilize X10, UPB, Z-Wave and Insteon here. I want to test zigbee. I just upgraded most of my light switches from single paddle UPB to multiple paddle and dual load UPB switches.
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

pete wrote:Thank you Buzz!

Yup here I had issues resizing the partitions with GParted and btrfs such the reason for me personally to going to the ext partition.
I don't think gparted can resize btrfs. This script for linux can do it

http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/source/sc ... zebtrfs.sh
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Updates to Ubuntu / Xubuntu images (03/01/2014)

* Package rollups (includes XBMC 12.3).
* Kernel 3.2.53.
* Improved eth0 MAC address assigning script.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I decided to look into a 13.10 xubuntu release. it's all working but needs finalising. Also I will be including a F2FS image (and for the other LTS releases). Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have something ready, if not before.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you; thank-you Buzz!
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers much appreciated B-)
Happy Joggling
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

not had a chance to update the site yet. However you can try out

http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/xubun ... xt4.img.gz (ext4 - 4GB)
http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/xubun ... rfs.img.gz (btrfs - 4GB)
http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/xubun ... 2fs.img.gz (f2fs - 8GB)

f2fs image is bigger as some of the stuff didn't fit due to the way it manages itself, and how its garbage collector works etc. but it's there is someone wants to test. no recovery tool yet, so im inclined to stay with ext4 myself.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Buzz!
- Pete

Auto mater
Colton

Post by Colton »

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... f=2&t=1943

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
monkums

Post by monkums »

I've been trying to get Android to boot on my Joggler at work without any success http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 425#p21425

It boots SPOS, XBMC and the reflash tool fine.

I thought I'd try with Xubuntu but again it won't boot but this time it gave an error :)

It looks like it can find linux-root. I know this exists as I've checked on a Ubuntu machine.

Is there any reason for this or anyway to fix it?
pete

Post by pete »

Curious what you are booting from?

Direct USB or a hub.

Can you take the USB stick out and look at the label of the partition of it on another Linux box?
- Pete

Auto mater
monkums

Post by monkums »

pete wrote:Curious what you are booting from?

Direct USB or a hub.

Can you take the USB stick out and look at the label of the partition of it on another Linux box?
Booting from a direct USB stick.

Checked the partition label and it's labelled as LINUX-BOOT (all caps). Just changed it to all lower case to see if it helps.

*Update - still get the same error.