Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Juggler

Re: Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by Juggler »

I don't think that the problem is the name of your USB flash drive.

I think a symptom of the problem is the amount of time taken to boot. I'm guessing that the error messages and the drop to a shell do not occur straight away or within a few seconds. Could it be that there is a problem with your flash drive or some sort of compatibility/communications issue between the Joggler and the flash drive you are using.

My best advice would be to try a few different flash drives and see if you get the same result on all. If so, there may be an issue with your joggler's usb port.

I've had the same/similar as this, but it has been with flash drives that are either old or dodgy (known to me to be faulty) or a combination of these two.

If you are prepared to go inside your joggler there is another USB port inside that could be used to boot from (I think), if it is an issue with the side USB port.

Ebuyer has some Lexar 8GB USB flash drives for £2.99 posted (in UK), presently, and these have been great for me on all the Jogglers I have used them on, and I think I have a few different versions of Jogglers.

HTH

PS Just read some more of your posts. Its interesting that you can boot the reflashing tool and spOS, but not ubuntu 12.04. I've seen before that WinXP can be particular about the flash drive, but I think this was more the port in a USB hub used, and I know that the OpenPEAK os is particular about the brand of flash drive used. But I've not heard of Ubuntu being particular about flash drives. Ubuntu has worked for me in many ways - through the cheapest usb hubs and with the cheapest and nastiest flash drives that can be had. Maybe try using the 12.04 Ubuntu base on the flash drive you can boot spOS from and report back.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Just a heads up that I have an xubuntu 14.04 (and a 14.04 base image), almost ready to do. Been a bit busy with xbmc4xbox and other things. It will include the recently released XBMC 13 Gotham also.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

For those that want test my images before finalisation:

Xubuntu 14.04 LTS

http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/beta/ ... xt4.img.gz (ext4 - 4GB)

Images have a few packages removed (firefox/thunderbird/gimp/abiword/gnumeric) and a couple added (XBMC 13 Gotham, Chomium browser)

note: there may be bugs, and the system is somewhat stuck together with sticky tape - being that it is xserver 1.9 along with some faked package versions to try and get it to play nice with the 14.04 package set. Things may well crash, although I was using XBMC ok on it earlier.
cboelsen

Post by cboelsen »

Thanks for the new images, BuZz!

I tried the btrfs images on two usb sticks last night (both of which worked with the 12.04 Xubuntu images), and both of them wouldn't boot with the same problem. They would get as far as the Xubuntu boot screen displaying for a few seconds before dropping back to a busybox shell. Any ideas what I can try?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

dont know but I didnt test the btrfs image so maybe something broke - try the ext4 image.
cboelsen

Post by cboelsen »

That's more like it! The ext4 image works well so far. Thanks again!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Buzz/Pete/anyone

Curious. If I wanted to create a very lightweight image which on startup presents me with 2 'apps' - xbmc and squeezeplay - what would I need to do. Should I download and strip an existing OS or can I use a base (do they even share a base) and just add those 2 features to it? Is it possible? Thanks.
pete

Post by pete »

You could start with Buzz's base with nada on it if you want to play some (Ubuntu Base/Server 12.04 LTS (Precise) (Joggler Image v1.5 - 03/01/2014)

or

easier just to use Buzz's current Ubuntu builds and delete what you will not use on it as it already includes XBMC and Squeezeplay.
The icons are already there. You can also start up with either application if you want.
(Xubuntu 12.10 (Quantal) (Joggler Image v1.3 - 03/01/2014)

Found here:

http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/ubuntu/

Here trying this one lately...Xubuntu 14.04 LTS

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 677#p21562

The build from a very light base would be a neato thing. Try both on two different sticks.

I am currently using two today dedicated for Squeezeplayer; one is really light with no GUI and remote controlled and the other has the Joggler GUI which too is remote controlled today via the "mothership".
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I would like this sort of thing too but when I tried plex media server on the full build it was a bit of a failure I suspect due to poor read write speeds of my sticks have you had similar issues ? I even tried a external HDD and the thermal PSV trick to try speed things up .
Does the base have a GUI ? without one u fear I would be lost but suspect this is the way to go .
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Does the base have a GUI?
No but it is a one liner apt-get.

Unrelated to Plex....

I was able to get XMBC running on the internal 2Gb inside of the Openpeak 7e.

No USB stick or external drive. Filled up though right away; but worked just fine.

1 Gb would be a very tight fit on the O2 Joggler or Openframe 1.0 for an XBMC build.

Went googling and do see micro 1Gb XBMC builds out there in internetlandia; that means it is probably possible? (guesstimate).

Over the years relating to the USB sticks; the SSD USB sticks worked better for me until I went to SSD PATA drives which work the best in EFI mode or Seabios mode.

I am testing the boot EFI stuff from the Ayaya EFI "bios" on the Openpeak 1.0 boxes with Ubuntu; no time lately though.

Well sort of spoiled a bit here with joggler pieces all over my little project work bench. Pieces in a literal sense.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

pete wrote:

Unrelated to Plex....

I was able to get XMBC running on the internal 2Gb inside of the Openpeak 7e.

No USB stick or external drive. Filled up though right away; but worked just fine.

1 Gb would be a very tight fit on the O2 Joggler or Openframe 1.0 for an XBMC build.

Went googling and do see micro 1Gb XBMC builds out there in internetlandia; that means it is probably possible? (guesstimate).

Over the years relating to the USB sticks; the SSD USB sticks worked better for me until I went to SSD PATA drives which work the best in EFI mode or Seabios mode.

I am testing the boot EFI stuff from the Ayaya EFI "bios" on the Openpeak 1.0 boxes with Ubuntu; no time lately though.

Well sort of spoiled a bit here with joggler pieces all over my little project work bench. Pieces in a literal sense.

Installing XBMC on sqpOS is possible, and actually very simple. In my experience works fine on EMMC with plenty of space free. I guess the trick is choosing the right base image, and SqueezePlay OS is perfect.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Some new Xubuntu 14.04 releases for testing before I do the final release. btrfs should be working now.

Ubuntu 14.04 base image (2GB image)
http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/beta/ ... rfs.img.gz (btrfs)
http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/beta/ ... xt4.img.gz (ext4)
http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/beta/ ... 2fs.img.gz (f2fs - 4GB Image)

Xubuntu 14.04 (4GB Image)
http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/beta/ ... rfs.img.gz (btrfs)
http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/beta/ ... xt4.img.gz (ext4)
http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/beta/ ... 2fs.img.gz (f2fs - 8GB Image)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Much appreciated BuZz :)
many thanks
Happy Joggling
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Thanks very much for this BuZz.

Going to give your 14.04 ext4 base image a whirl and will report back.

Have the drivers/whatever for the BTRFS 14.04 image progressed from those used in the 12.04 images ? I ask this as I used BTRFS on the 12.04 images for some time and as discussed here, there have been issues with regards reliability and performance.

I'm using your 12.04 ext4 images now and they have been performing exceedingly well. So much so that I probably will not change anything unless I really have to. But it is good to to have current images for testing and migrating to, if it becomes extremely desirable or essential.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Welcome. Some btrfs fixes, but it's still a 3.2 kernel so lacking newer btrfs features
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Updates to Ubuntu / Xubuntu images (22/05/2014)

* Ubuntu Base / Xubuntu 14.04 LTS images
* Package rollups for 12.04 images (includes XBMC 13.1b2).
* Kernel 3.2.58.
* F2FS images now available.

The Ubuntu 12.04 desktop image has been discontinued (Keeping just Ubuntu 12.04 Base/Xubuntu 12.04).
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

pete wrote:You could start with Buzz's base with nada on it if you want to play some (Ubuntu Base/Server 12.04 LTS (Precise) (Joggler Image v1.5 - 03/01/2014)

or

easier just to use Buzz's current Ubuntu builds and delete what you will not use on it as it already includes XBMC and Squeezeplay.
The icons are already there. You can also start up with either application if you want.
(Xubuntu 12.10 (Quantal) (Joggler Image v1.3 - 03/01/2014)

Found here:

http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/ubuntu/

Here trying this one lately...Xubuntu 14.04 LTS

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 677#p21562

The build from a very light base would be a neato thing. Try both on two different sticks.

I am currently using two today dedicated for Squeezeplayer; one is really light with no GUI and remote controlled and the other has the Joggler GUI which too is remote controlled today via the "mothership".

Thanks Pete!

I know it looks like I asked a question then rudely disappeared but we've had phone and internet issues. :roll:

I do want to give this a try so the next thing is...
pete wrote:
what is the one liner for the ubuntu base? Does it mean that the base will then have GUI for any added packages or do I need to add for each package?
jimeney wrote:Installing XBMC on sqpOS is possible, and actually very simple. In my experience works fine on EMMC with plenty of space free. I guess the trick is choosing the right base image, and SqueezePlay OS is perfect.
Apologies for hijacking this thread but I was intrigued by this as I didn't know squeezeplay os supports video. Jimeney have you actually accomplished this? If so, I cheekily ask if you would be willing to do a little guide? I'm interested in how you launch xbmc - do you get icon choices on boot?

Exploring all options at the moment. ;)

Thanks!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

for anyone interested -

I tested this quickly on the 14.04 base and it seems to work for a basic standalone xbmc - but it's much easier to just get a small USB stick and run xubuntu if you want XBMC (so everything is configured - you can easily make xbmc start by default on that too).

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xorg xbmc

sudo dpkg-reconfigure x11-common
and choose "anybody"

sudo usermod -G video -a joggler

sudo nano -w /etc/init/xbmc.conf
and add

# xbmc-standalone
description "Autostart XBMC"

start on (filesystem and stopped udevtrigger)
stop on runlevel [06]

task
console output
emits starting-x

exec /bin/su joggler -c "/usr/bin/startx /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/xbmc-standalone"
and then reboot.

I don't have time to take this any further, but it's a start for those that want to "roll their own".
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Oooh marvellous, thanks BuZz! Will try this (and edited ubuntu) out as soon as I have sufficient speed to actually download the images (see my off topic post)...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Erk - looks like it might be faster to send over USB stick by carrier pigeon!