Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by pete »

Yup noticed that the settings for brightness do not stick on a reboot. That said went to power manager / screen settings and set the screen to dim after XX seconds. This works fine on a reboot.

You could also edit the

sudo -H gedit /etc/rc.local

file and insert a brightness level there.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Well got another issue got xubuntu booting and running from usb flash drive on the joggler. So got my main's powered usd hdd with xubuntu on it plugged into the usb hub connected to the joggler and Does not show any drive's connected but show's in gparted. I have tried another flash drive with film/music on it no problem. Have I missed a setting somewhere.
Andrew
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Andrew1971 wrote:Hi All
Thank's for the reply's. I have tried every usb flash drive I have , every usb hub I have , every hdd in an enclosure to usb I have main's powered,
I have downloaded the image several time's now. The error's are the same no matter what combo of hardware I use. But it does boot and work.
The screen brightness is alway's on maximum brightness every time I boot up even though I alway's put on minimum.
I thought it wasn't booting sorry. Those messages can be ignored. It's normal.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

cszhy

Post by cszhy »

hi Buzz:

Got following error message when I tried to install LMS, did I choose the wrong version of LMS? thanks

root@joggler:~# dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_7.9.1~1511211491_all.deb
(Reading database ... 137877 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack logitechmediaserver_7.9.1~1511211491_all.deb ...
Unpacking logitechmediaserver (7.9.1~1511211491) over (7.9.1~1511211491) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: internal gzip read error: '<fd:4>: incorrect data check'
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing archive logitechmediaserver_7.9.1~1511211491_all.deb (--install):
subprocess dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile returned error exit status 2
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
logitechmediaserver_7.9.1~1511211491_all.deb
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Corrupted deb ?

It's unrelated to the Joggler Xubuntu - I don't have time to offer general linux advice sorry.
JonTheNiceGuy

Post by JonTheNiceGuy »

cszhy wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:06 pm dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: internal gzip read error: '<fd:4>: incorrect data check'
Looks like you've got a corrupted deb. Redownload and give it another try!
trumee

Post by trumee »

Please would you build Kodi-17.6 and its plugins. I tried to install from the xbmc ppa, but got this

Code: Select all

# apt-cache madison kodi
      kodi | 2:17.6+git20171114.2125-final-0trusty | http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ trusty/main i386 Packages
      kodi | 16.1~git20160425.2147-c6f6e0b-0 | http://ppa.launchpad.net/jools/joggler/ubuntu/ trusty/main i386 Packages
      kodi | 16.1~git20160425.2147-c6f6e0b-0 | http://ppa.launchpad.net/jools/joggler/ubuntu/ trusty/main Sources
root@joggler:~# apt-get install kodi=2\*
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Selected version '2:17.6+git20171114.2125-final-0trusty' (Kodi stable:14.04/trusty [all]) for 'kodi'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 kodi : Depends: kodi-bin (>= 2:17.6+git20171114.2125-final-0trusty) but 16.1~git20160425.2147-c6f6e0b-0 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I looked into it, but it requires code changes to work with our ancient vaapi library. I don't know if I am that interested in sorting it, at least not currently. I have a lot on. Also the Joggler is pretty old now, and I cannot support it with updates forever.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

BuZz ahh man , you are not bowing out are you ha ha , we've had a good run over the years with yours mainly and others work on the Joggler .
You are a star .
I live in hope of you having a look at getting Retropie working for older 8 bit systems on the joggler , it's still a fantastic device and I'm sure it would do this well .
I could only get it to boot .
Also thanks again for all the Retropie work you do as well as hosting this forum .

Cheers

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
rbshep

Post by rbshep »

This is a great OS release, touchscreen (and calibrator) and onscreen keyboard VERY useful, but i can't get Kodi 17.6 working on it, either from your ppa or the Kodi ppa. I must be doing something wrong as you wouldn't have built 17.6 if it couldn't be installed, right? Tried mucking around with package pins and all sorts :(

Also, poulsbo drivers are available for xenial, and the build from -=XxX=- uses a 4.4 series kernel, which is the version xenial uses. Is it possible to build a system around 16.04 xenial? Would updated vaapi driver support be available?

Tho personally i don't care about video, i just want an audio player which will use my existing kodi library and screensaver slideshow photos (until the backlight times out ;) ) when it's not doing that
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

kodi 17.6 is unlikely to work without code changes at least with acceleration as it relies on a newer api.

With newer Ubuntu you still need to use an ancient X server. There are also audio switching issue with the later kernels. I just don't have the time to put into it and it's not worth it imho. the current release works fine for Audio playback (and video).
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Are there any recommendations for the lightest Desktop to install on the Base/Server OS that will enable the touch facility on the Joggler screen.

Thanks

ronnie
monkeydogcat

Post by monkeydogcat »

Posting this in case anyone has the same problem I've encountered with Kodi add-ons.

This Xubuntu build has served me very well for years to run Kodi for streaming radio and playing audio and decent bitrate/resolution H.264 video off a DLNA server. But the other day the TuneIn radio add-on for Kodi stopped working. It turns out development for that add-on ceased a while back and from a quick look at logs and mention of 403 errors when trying to retrieve errors, I assume it's stopped working because whatever resource it looked at has been changed or removed. This led me to discover that none of the other add-ons will install, I assume because something something Kodi 16 old. I eventually I found at browseable repo of add-ons for Kodi 16 at https://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/jarvis/ download plugin.audio.radio_de-2.3.2.zip and told Kodi to install it. Now I can stream radio stations again. Hopefully that'll work for a while.

Trying to stream Third Rock Radio by pointing Chrome at https://thirdrockradio.net/ worked in that the audio stream played, but so much stuttering as to be unlistenable.

It's such a shame the Joggler seems to have the one graphics chip Intel produced for which the only Linux driver that supports hardware accelerated video decoding is a pile of shit.
monkeydogcat

Post by monkeydogcat »

monkeydogcat wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:30 pm Now I can stream radio stations again. Hopefully that'll work for a while.
A while turned out to be 240 days. I streamed radio most of the day, then this evening it wouldn't work. It appears that the API used by the version of the plugin.audio.radio_de plugin I've been using got turned off sometime today as it now returns 503. The most recent of the plugin https://github.com/XBMC-Addons/plugin.audio.radio_de uses a different URL for the API. By reading the code for the latest version and reading kodi.log whilst attempting to stream a station I was able to modify the plugin to start working again. I have attached both the plugin.audio.radio_de-2.3.2.zip I mentioned in my previous post as it is no longer available from the mirror I mentioned and a modified api.py file.

I said it before, but I'll say it again, it's such a shame about the graphics chip in the Joggler. I've been using my Joggler running this Xubuntu build for at least 8 hours a day nearly every day for two months whilst working from home due to the Covid-19 situation. It seems entirely possible I'll be doing it for another two months. It sits on my desk running Xscreensaver on random and Kodi to stream Internet radio or play music off an SMB share from another device. Or sometimes it plays video off the SMB share. It's a brilliant little box for doing this but it's only possible because of being able to utilise the openGL and video decoding capability of the graphics chip, which is of course impossible with any modern Linux distro. I really hope I can keep it working for what I use it for for many years to come.
Attachments
plugin.audio.radio_de_kodi_16.zip
(70.01 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Nice job. Thanks.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

monkeydogcat wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:01 pm I said it before, but I'll say it again, it's such a shame about the graphics chip in the Joggler.
It's a brilliant little box for doing this but it's only possible because of being able to utilise the openGL and video decoding capability of the graphics chip, which is of course impossible with any modern Linux distro. I really hope I can keep it working for what I use it for for many years to come.
The Ubuntu Bionic image does support OpenGL (at about half the performance of the EMGD driver due to it not having the hardware acceleration) using the kernel driver, but not VA-API. Last time I tried running:

Code: Select all

sudo of-install xserver
sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop
Landed me at the login screen.

But yes, it's a real shame about acceleration. My OpenFrame 2 currently looks like this:

IMG_4837.jpeg

So I can fit a BCM70015 hardware video decoder to that little mini-PCIe slot to see if my build of Plex Media Player is of any use. It's fine for audio, but the overhead of the UI makes video pretty useless, even with server transcoding.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)