Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick ) for the O2 Joggler.

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:
roobarb! wrote:Bit of an odd one here, BuZz - I've got a Joggler that won't accept the MAC address given to it by your startup script. The /etc/network/joggler-eth file has one MAC address (00:92:08:ca:6a:f4), but the one reported by ifconfig is completely different (da:be:df:2e:36:98). If I issue:

Code: Select all

ip link set eth0 address 00:92:08:ca:6a:f4
Then it does set it correctly, but something seems to be overriding it on startup. This is on your latest image - v1.6.1. :|
tried with a new image just to make sure nothing bad happened to the one its running off ?

there is joggler-eth.conf in /etc/init/ ? if the mac isnt set and you do "sudo start joggler-eth" does it set it ?

what's in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
Yes, this is a brand new image. joggler-eth.conf is present in /etc/init and running sudo start joggler-eth does set the MAC properly. The udev rules file contains what I'd expect:

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:92:08:ca:6a:f4", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"
Adding some echo messages to joggler-eth.conf shows that it is indeed running on startup, but then something else is messing with the MAC. It's now set itself to fa:9e:ef:1c:36:98... Bizarre.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
deathsatan

Post by deathsatan »

crashed many times when system was shutting down , and the screen was freezed, only showing the logo "ubuntu" till i unpluged the power.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

New image released (v1.7)

* Upgraded to kernel 2.6.37.3
* Backported btrfs with lzo compression for much better performance with compressed btrfs
* /proc/sys/vm changes for better performance running from a flash device
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:New image released (v1.7)
I don't know how you've done it, BuZz, but this new image goes like a rocket. :D
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

roobarb! wrote:
I don't know how you've done it, BuZz, but this new image goes like a rocket. :D
:) using the compressed btrfs one or ?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:
roobarb! wrote:
:) using the compressed btrfs one or ?
I've given both a try now; the compressed one is indeed a lot quicker than before, but even the normal btrfs version seems faster. :)
Quinten

Post by Quinten »

Doh, I just downloaded and installed 1.6 last night!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz, have I found a bug here? When running apt-get update I'm getting a lot of errors like this:

Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/maverick/Release.gpg  Something wicked happened resolving 'archive.ubuntu.com:http' (-5 - No address associated with hostname)
Tried a few different locations and they are all dying in the same way. My network is up and running fine, so not sure what's going on.

I've also started getting warnings about drive space, and this is what df -h looks like:

df -h
/dev/sda3             3.2G  2.6G  147M  95% /
Not sure about the first one, but is this the BTRFS drive space issue rearing it's head?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

looks like it. I wouldnt use the normal btrfs on a 4gb stick. Perhaps I should put this in the notes.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Righto. Ignore my comment on the apt-get issue - it looks like it was something network related. Either way, it's cleared itself up by magic now. ;)
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I'm having a bit of a browser-related problem with the latest compressed btrfs release. It happens with Chromium and Firefox. I've added a few extensions to each browser but they have both become very slow & unresponsive and keep "greying out" for several minutes at a time. The whole Joggler becomes unresponsive and when it eventually comes back to life it doesn't shut down cleanly. Any ideas why? Could it be the CPU throttling due to cooling problems?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I do have some ideas why, and Ill probably do another release. xorg/emgd isnt very happy with my kernel update - its probably my emgd patches heh. its an odd one as i had it a few times, and then it stopped on my jolicloud - although perhaps ive not been browsing enough to trigger it or something.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

im struggling to reproduce the crash i saw before on jolicloud on maverick now. if you have any foolproof way of producing this let me know. as for throttling, you can check current temp by typing "sensors" into a terminal (and depending what you set the throttle temp to will tell you whether it might be throttling). you could paste be a syslog from after its done this behaviour also that might help.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Will give it a go. I always get the problem if I log into the last.fm site on Chromium if you could give that a go. Firefox is not as bad but it still isn't running as it should.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

please try http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/dwl99.img.gz

I changed some kernel parameters that might help. I dont think i can guarantee it wont crash on exit. sometimes it just seems to hang there (looking into workaround for that now - i never actually looked into it before), but with this image i didnt manage to make it crash during normal use.

With the older image i logged into last.fm and I didnt manage to crash it there either. Worth checking your thermal/throttling setting perhaps in case it was that.

[edit]
reboot=acpi as a kernel parameter seems to make the shutting down/rebooting stable - at least from my testing so far
I will prepare some new images with this updated kernel (subject to it working ok for you), and include some of the commandline stuff in the kernel now to keep the grub.cfg simple
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

The dwl99 image works well thanks, no problems with Chromium with any websites or extensions. I also tested the 1.61 image again & that worked well too. The dwl99 image contains your login details for last.fm in case you wanted to take it down again.

4.29a.m posts - do you never sleep? :-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

dwl99 wrote:The dwl99 image works well thanks, no problems with Chromium with any websites or extensions. I also tested the 1.61 image again & that worked well too. The dwl99 image contains your login details for last.fm in case you wanted to take it down again.

4.29a.m posts - do you never sleep? :-)
I've gotten a bit obsessive about these images. ahem. after this next update I better have a small break :)

Cheers for letting me know about the last.fm account. actually I only just made it to test. ive changed the pass now. thanks.
photor

Post by photor »

I had successfully installed v1.6.1 and made it work fine for me after many tweaks, but just now I learned that v1.7 had come out.
So, is there any method that I can smoothly upgrade to this new version without a fresh reinstall?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

photor wrote:I had successfully installed v1.6.1 and made it work fine for me after many tweaks, but just now I learned that v1.7 had come out.
So, is there any method that I can smoothly upgrade to this new version without a fresh reinstall?
not really - i dont have time to track every change i make, nor for example package up every little change to the ppa. You can of course backup your settings etc though and then restore etc.

oh and 1.7.1 is out soon. then im giving it a rest ;-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

Is anybody having problems with USB sound on the new images?

After applying the two suggested tweaks for USB audio output (creating the etc/asound.conf file mentioned in this thread and commenting out the PulseAudio line in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf - mentioned on the download page) I was able to get great USB sound output on the previous image - btrfs uncompressed. I was enticed by comments of greater speed to try out the new image but now USB audio isn't working for me, even after applying the previous tweaks that made it work before.

I have tried btrfs compressed and uncompressed and also ext4 on an external USB hard drive but still no joy. Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong?