Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Ubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by BuZz »

riggedy wrote:Hi Everyone,

I just put the Ubuntu 10.04 v1.9 Image (btrfscom) to an Stick.
Everything is working fine (good job Buzz!) but the xbmc is not.

I've opened the terminal to see what error messages xbmc is throwing.
It closes with an SQL error or missing database.
the missing database stuff isn't an error, it just says this and then creates them. what you need to look at is the xbmc.log in ~/.xbmc/temp to find out what has gone wrong.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:Default to max cstate=2 to avoid crackles on (all) jogglers without grub.cfg editing
Ahh, good stuff. Over the past few weeks I've been setting all my Jogglers to cstate=2 as well, to avoid crackles, but also because I was getting some weird filesystem errors on one Joggler that crackled like crazy (much more than the others). With cstate=2 it seems to be much more stable overall.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

roobarb! wrote:
BuZz wrote:Default to max cstate=2 to avoid crackles on (all) jogglers without grub.cfg editing
Ahh, good stuff. Over the past few weeks I've been setting all my Jogglers to cstate=2 as well, to avoid crackles, but also because I was getting some weird filesystem errors on one Joggler that crackled like crazy (much more than the others). With cstate=2 it seems to be much more stable overall.
Yeh without this, very occasionally I would still hear some interference, so I thought it would be a better default. Even though it will make the joggler technically idle warmer, they are so warm anyway, i'm not sure it will make much of a difference :)
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

roobarb! wrote:
Is there any way to do this on a Joggler running standard Tango? If so where does the change have to go?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

spoyser wrote:
roobarb! wrote:
Is there any way to do this on a Joggler running standard Tango? If so where does the change have to go?
There shouldn't be any reason to do this on a native Joggler so far as I know. Do you have one that crackles on the native operating system?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

Yes crackles on native OS.

Ironically only with my iPlayer app when playing an on demand TV stream (radio is fine)!!

(only occurs on 1 of 3 jogglers)
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

When I have have a USB Flash Drive (with the Ubuntu on it) and a hard drive plugged in at the same time it doesn't boot properly.

Anyone know why this is or how to fix it? (Other than removing the drive and plugging it in when OS is loaded)

Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks for the great images(s) btw!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Cheetah wrote:When I have have a USB Flash Drive (with the Ubuntu on it) and a hard drive plugged in at the same time it doesn't boot properly.

Anyone know why this is or how to fix it? (Other than removing the drive and plugging it in when OS is loaded)

Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks for the great images(s) btw!
probably need to change the grub.cfg where it states the boot device (hd0,x) etc . maybe change to hd1 (from memory as I haven't actually checked)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

spoyser wrote:Yes crackles on native OS.

Ironically only with my iPlayer app when playing an on demand TV stream (radio is fine)!!

(only occurs on 1 of 3 jogglers)
should be possible I guess, via processor.max_cstate or so although I haven't ever looked at the boot mechanisms for the inbuilt linux. might be possible to change from userland too once booted.
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

That seemed to work....thank you very much.

(Changed it from hd0 -> hd1 although I have no idea what that means :p)
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

At the risk of going well out of my depth, how easy would my own image of the minimal install. Ie only the drivers and gnome (no apps). I currently use my Joggler as an desktop clock/weather and file/print server so all I need to SSH, Remote Desktop, Samba & Conky.

Thanks.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Cheetah wrote:At the risk of going well out of my depth, how easy would my own image of the minimal install. Ie only the drivers and gnome (no apps). I currently use my Joggler as an desktop clock/weather and file/print server so all I need to SSH, Remote Desktop, Samba & Conky.

Thanks.
you could load up a package manager like aptitude, and start removing stuff (purging the config), from my install which would slim it down. if you make a note of them, you could easily script it.

heres a list of packages i made a list of that can be removed to slim it down (for linux mint 10 / maverick)

http://pastebin.com/y6CLRNji
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Released

v1.0 (01/05/2011)

Packages updated to Natty release versions
XBMC/Squeezeplay/vaapi enabled mplayer pre-installed as with the other images

Note: I had uploaded this image before and it was online for a couple of days but not announced. This version has the same "v1.0" version but I have added xbmc, mplayer etc
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

Has the default password changes at all?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Cheetah wrote:Has the default password changes at all?
still should be "joggler"
andersja

Post by andersja »

Hi there - I have downloaded the latest natty btrfs compressed image; dd'ed it successfully on to an 8 gb USB stick

When booting up on the Joggler, grub shows up fine, then a black screen fills with a string of error messages in white text (from memory something something [sda], ..., sda3 not found) and after a bit of a wait, the boot drops into a busybox shell (which is useless without the touch screen obviously :-) )

Any idea what might be going wrong? Anything I should test / change / report?

If this is a new and unknown bug I will get the camera out and take a photo of the error messages...

Thanks!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

andersja wrote:Hi there - I have downloaded the latest natty btrfs compressed image; dd'ed it successfully on to an 8 gb USB stick

When booting up on the Joggler, grub shows up fine, then a black screen fills with a string of error messages in white text (from memory something something [sda], ..., sda3 not found) and after a bit of a wait, the boot drops into a busybox shell (which is useless without the touch screen obviously :-) )

Any idea what might be going wrong? Anything I should test / change / report?

If this is a new and unknown bug I will get the camera out and take a photo of the error messages...

Thanks!
Do you have a hub and/or any other flash devices/readers installed?

Might be worth writing the image again, or trying a different usb stick. Some of these problems have been usb sticks that dont play nicely with the joggler
andersja

Post by andersja »

Thanks - I fixed it: when I originally dd'ed, I dd'ed on to /dev/sdh1 this time I dd'ed on to /dev/sdh and all worked perfectly. This distribution is awwwwwwesome! Excellent work, BuZz - I'm really blown away!! Going to play with it the next days and see what I can do! So cool! Keep up the amazing work!
elcrazy

Post by elcrazy »

Hello
I was wondering is someone could help please. as this is sending me insane :-)

I am succesfully running 11.04 (natty) on the joggler, and everything I need it for (mainly squeezeplay) works wonderfully well.

However, the screen keeps dimming and going black (exactly after 5 minutes of touch inactvity). So during playblack of music etc.., screen goes black.

I tried disabling screensaver/disable gnome-power-preferences (idle on AC etc...), but nothing allows to change this timeout period (5 minutes).

Any ideas?

Thanks

K
elcrazy

Post by elcrazy »

Update. rolled back to 10.10 and everything is working fine. Interestingly enough, the default dim timeout is 5 min, which can be successfully changed to whatever is needed.

So it looks like 11,04-natty does'nt take any account any changes made via the gnome menu [power options]

Smells like a natty bug to me... [and the waste of a whole Sunday troubleshooting]