Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Mark6512

Re: Ubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by Mark6512 »

I'm using the latest btrfs natty build but video in xbmc doesnt seem smooth and there's a lot of tearing. I'm using the espn3 addon.

Any fix for this?

Also lirc doesn't seem to install properly.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

there is no vsync stuff, so there is slight screen tear, however video is smooth here. joggler warms up using xbmc, so do you adjust the throttle temp or have a replacement heatsink ?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

gegs wrote: I'm not sure if this is due to the specific Joggler image set up or if it is a general problem with the program. I'm reluctant to post the error to the XBMC admins because it's running on an unsupported device but let me know if you think I should.
I don't think this one is a joggler issue but it might be however - I just uploaded a new xbmc that has a fix in relation to dialogs, that might help. let me know if it makes any difference.
gegs

Post by gegs »

BuZz wrote:I just uploaded a new xbmc that has a fix in relation to dialogs, that might help. let me know if it makes any difference.
Fantastic BuZz! Navi-X is now working as before.
weiyongwill

Post by weiyongwill »

Hello, BuZz.
Your Ubuntu for joggler is very Exciting . But it does not seem to support PATA Disk . I have started Remix and CDlinux from my PATA Disk inside the joggler, but I can't do this in the same way. How can I do to boot Ubuntu 11.04 from the PATA Disk?
Thanks very much.
Wei Yong

BuZz's reply:
please use the public thread, rather than pm so others can benefit from the info.

well, I probably didn't compile in the pata drivers, since most joggler's need hardware mod to attach. you can get the kernel config and patches from http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/source/kernel/2.6.38/ and add the driver though, and ill make a note to build it in next time, if you tell me which module i need.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

appreciate you posting it here. it's a good point you have made. out of interest, you have connecting a zif or something connector to the board? of course on modern linux, even pata is handled by the sata layer, and I would appreciate any help you can give me :)

[edit] i guess the pata and controller will show up when i look at lspci -v for example, but it is also one of those things that is hard to test. I can make you a new kernel building in more stuff based on the hardware, and you have have a go though. i may need a few days though
weiyongwill

Post by weiyongwill »

Thank you for your reply.
You are right, I have connected a zif connector to the board. I cloned the Remix and CDLinux image to the PATA Disk,Seagate ST730212DE,and started the both system from it. Because I have little knowledge on linux, I looked through many tutorials and tried many times. Such as:http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread. ... a=page%3D1
Yesterday, in an unnatural power failure, the Remix in the internal PATA disk was broken, and can't start any more. I have to dismantle the joggler ,pull out the disk, put it into a HDD case and reburn the image. It is very fussy. So, I just start your Ubuntu from USB. However I am looking forward to your new image .
Forgive my poor English.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

a little tip to try with xbmc - by default the new "dirty region" handling isn't enabled, so the whole gui is rendered the whole time. for less cpu usage, and better gui performance you can add a file "advancedsettings.xml" to ~/.xbmc/userdata/ with the contents

Code: Select all

<advancedsettings>
  <gui>    
    <nofliptimeout>1000</nofliptimeout>
    <algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
  </gui>
</advancedsettings>
more details on http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ad ... ttings.xml - ive not tried the algorithmdirtyregions = 2 yet, but certainly when switching on debugging, fps went up when in the gui. Let me know how it works for you.
monkeydogcat

Post by monkeydogcat »

I just downloaded ubuntunatty-v1.1-btrfscom.img.gz but trying to boot the Joggler with it results in a panic

[<hexstuff>] ? panic+hexstuff
[<hexstuff>] ? do_exit+hexstuff
[<hexstuff>] ? vfs_write+hexstuff
[<hexstuff>] ? do_group_exit+hexstuff
[<hexstuff>] ? syscall_call+hexstuff
I've tried writing it to my 4GB flash drive three times. Twice from my Mac, once from my Linux machine, same result each time. After writing the Linux machine mounts the vfat partition from the flash drive but won't mount the btrfs partition. The error in /var/log/messages says this is due to "unsupported features" (openSUSE 11.4)

This is the md5sum of what I've downloaded - is it right?

2c0482b1f87510611ba1a5afec50d73c
I haven't played with the Joggler for a while. I got it out earlier today and found it wouldn't boot from the flash drive any more (had the brtfs version one of your previous Ubuntu images) so thought I'd download your latest image and try that. It's possible the flash drive is knackered, I don't have another suitable one to try.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

that would be the most common issue. i would try another flash drive. i should post md5sums actually. ill do that. the md5sum above is correct, although ive not actually tried the image (they are build automatically from a filesystem), but others have, or at least ive not had other reports.

you can't mount it on your desktop machine as your kernel is too old, and doesnt support the btrfs compression we are using.
pete

Post by pete »

This is a great Joggler forum! Nice to meet all of you folks

Latest BTRFS compressed version working well here! Just ordered a few of those little HP 4Gb sticks. I left the WLAN USB dongle inside for the time being; while playing.

I am currently trying a "do all" setup with the Joggler. I am into home automation; so one view is just multiple touchscreens to the HA system.

I also like music and the basic Joggler OS stuff so looking to integrate that piece into it.

Been trying to keep the Joggler from falling asleep as I would like to manually just maybe use a cron job or remote it such that the display dims. I currently just shut off the backlight on another gizmo that I play with. (via the display interface or remotely).

Just curious what others are doing to keep their Joggler's displays from going to sleep?

Attached is a news alert that just came up on the Joggler. Basically the HA server does a CNN/BBC screen scrape looking for headlines. When the top "hot" headline comes up as a "news" alert; it sends it to a screen on the Joggler; leaves it there for about 5-10 minutes; then moves to a basic main screen with a scrolling news event alert.
Attachments
Joggler with embedded slideshow
Joggler with embedded slideshow
Joggler Sprinkler System
Joggler Sprinkler System
Joggler main touchscreen
Joggler main touchscreen
Joggler CNN news alert
Joggler CNN news alert
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

there are two configured screen values. one is the time to turn the screensaver on (set to blank screen on ubuntu by default), the second is the time to power off the screen. to configure them, go to "system menu" -> prefs -> screensaver. and you can untick the "activate screensaver when computer is idle". for the display switchoff, on the same app, you can click "power management" and there is a setting display "put display to sleep when inactive for:"and you can choose never. the screen will now remain on permanently.

if you wish to manually switch off the screen, the console command "xset dpms force off" from a script or something should do the trick.

hope this helps.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks BuZz. Tried the GUI stuff and its still doing it. BTW had a Commodore C64 in 1982 or so, then a C128 and Amiga Computer. (am a bit old now).

So I went to the command line: help shows:
To control Energy Star (DPMS) features:
-dpms Energy Star features off
+dpms Energy Star features on
dpms [standby [suspend [off]]]
force standby
force suspend
force off
force on
(also implicitly enables DPMS features)
a timeout value of zero disables the mode
did a
xset dpms force on
on the terminal of the Joggler.
Attachments
screensaver-2.jpg
screensaver-1.jpg
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

not sure if you are saying something didn't work or it was fine ?
pete

Post by pete »

Originally the GUI entries appeared to have no effect; the screen would go to sleep.

The command line you mentioned did work. (xset dpms force on)

The screen has not gone to sleep. Thank you BuZz.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Has anyone run the O2 Joggler OS in Ubuntu 11.04 yet?

I tried the Joggler OS patches for Ubuntu 10.X and they worked fine. When I try them in 11.04 they do not work for me.
1. mount mmcblk0p2 somewhere, if not already done:
"sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt"

2. copy the whole openpeak folder to your root:
"sudo mkdir /openpeak"
"sudo cp -r /mnt/openpeak/* /openpeak"

3. unmount (if you want..)
"sudo umount /mnt"

4. mount mmcblk0p4, if not yet done:
"sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p4 /mnt"

5. copy all its contents to /media:
"sudo cp -r /mnt/* /media"

6. copy and edit localrun:
"sudo cp /openpeak/tango/localrun /openpeak/tango/starto2"

7. edit starto2:
"sudo vi /openpeak/tango/starto2"

8. uncomment "export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa":
move to the concerning line,
type "i" for insert mode,
type an "#"
type ESC, type ":wq" to save&quit
I am also playing with the EFI multiboot functions and having a hard time getting to a prompt when I hit the escape key...is this a keyboard issue?
- Pete

Auto mater
verg0

Post by verg0 »

@ pete_c
pete_c wrote:Has anyone run the O2 Joggler OS in Ubuntu 11.04 yet?

I tried the Joggler OS patches for Ubuntu 10.X and they worked fine. When I try them in 11.04 they do not work for me.
1. mount mmcblk0p2 somewhere, if not already done:
"sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt"

2. copy the whole openpeak folder to your root:
"sudo mkdir /openpeak"
"sudo cp -r /mnt/openpeak/* /openpeak"

3. unmount (if you want..)
"sudo umount /mnt"

4. mount mmcblk0p4, if not yet done:
"sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p4 /mnt"

5. copy all its contents to /media:
"sudo cp -r /mnt/* /media"

6. copy and edit localrun:
"sudo cp /openpeak/tango/localrun /openpeak/tango/starto2"

7. edit starto2:
"sudo vi /openpeak/tango/starto2"

8. uncomment "export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa":
move to the concerning line,
type "i" for insert mode,
type an "#"
type ESC, type ":wq" to save&quit
I am also playing with the EFI multiboot functions and having a hard time getting to a prompt when I hit the escape key...is this a keyboard issue?

Nearly there. Here you go mate!

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 2513#p2513
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

it's been on my todo list for a while, but ive been so at home on jolios, and doing driver stuff, i admit i haven't given it a high priority. im happy to try it based on the details above and perhaps build a package or so. ill try and find the time :)
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks verg0 and BuZz. It would be great to get the original OS to run in the Ubuntu image.

Currently playing a bit with the same application as above (touchscreen) written for Linux. Just needed to install some MS VB stuff. Trying to speed it up a bit. The flash works well so far. I have some screens with multiple HTML maps that are a bit slow. Video is coming up pretty good.
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

New Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty) image available - v1.2 (03/11/2011):

* Linux Kernel 3.1
* New Xorg evdev, with excellent right mouse click emulation.
* In kernel ethernet driver replaced with vendor driver to avoid some lockups.
* Distro package updates, and updated XBMC.