Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Andrew1971

Re: Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
Today i have been testing/using the xubuntu os so far so good but i coud not find a screen saver with a clock. Can any body know how to get one on the joggler
got to keep switching between standard os and xunbuntu its getting annoying now :(
Many Thanks
Andrew
pete

Post by pete »

Personally here utilize Fligio on the Windows. Might be able to get this to run in Wine.

https://github.com/bhm/noflipqlo

The above noted try a flash clock maybe still sitting on your Joggler's MMC or have a look at the Chumby Flash clocks if you want to use flash.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi Pete
Thank you for the suggesstion's using a flash clock at the moment the lcars from chumby site.
Still going to look at other clock's. Going to look on the MMC as well.
Cheer's Pete
Andrew
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; here the automation touchscreens default to picture screen savers or clocks where they stay all day dim then remotely shut off screens at night. Typically each page of the touchscreens just have a small "built" analog date and time thing. Messed up my wine configurations updating to Ubuntu 14.10; well and a few other things. Well it looked OK updating. Noticed a new (old) XBMC alarm clock plugin yesterday. Never saw this before although it might have been around.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

There is also a clock on one of the XBMC skins that I was using for a while on Mint but it would work OK on Ubuntu basically I had it booting straight up in to xbmc with the screensaver set to clock :-)
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

hawsey wrote:There is also a clock on one of the XBMC skins that I was using for a while on Mint but it would work OK on Ubuntu basically I had it booting straight up in to xbmc with the screensaver set to clock :-)
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=84175
Happy Joggling
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
Thank you all for your suggestion's. Still playing to find best solution.
Now another little problem using xubutu no matter what power or screen options i chose the screen goes off after ten minute's. Then touch screen to bring it back on for another ten minute's. The back light seem's to be on all the time though.
Many Thank's
Andrew

Update
Sorted the back light now i missed a setting for it.
ramtec

Post by ramtec »

There seems to be a problem with the squeezeplayer app for this distro as it doesn't always show the album art. Squeezeplay works fine on stock o2 with pnpIII and also fine with Sqeezeplay OS but not when using the install on the desktop (reflashed memory card twice just in case). Is the squeezeplay used here a different version? I would like to use this and switch between squeezeplay and xbmc without changing flash cards first. Anyone able to help?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Another option - there is a music player addon in xbmc called xsqueeze which connects to your logitech media server so you don't need to exit xbmc.
Juggler

ubuntu f2fs images

Post by Juggler »

I've been using the ext4 images for some time and they have performed extremely well, particularly to power-off without shutdown situations.

However, I've read some good things about f2fs and how it compares to some of the other popular file systems :

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthre ... post344835
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... sdhc&num=1
http://lwn.net/Articles/518988/

So I thought I would give the Ubuntu base 14.04 v1.1 and xUbuntu 14.04 v1.1 images a try.

I tried the base image first and it appeared to be hanging on boot. So I tried on a different USB stick and the same. Just by chance I tried switching to the first (?virtual?) console by using ctrl-alt 1 and was presented with the usual logon prompt. I logged on and all seemed fine. I did an apt-get update and had some errors, but on the second and subsequent tries there was none. An apt-get upgrade went well. This is as far as I have taken this image. I did run a few tests on disk performance and all went well, but need to get some stats from the same stick using ext4 to do a comparison. I wonder here, if the ?kernel? boot output on ?virtual? terminal 6/7 (ctrl-alt 6 or 7) has been left on screen and the boot process does not switch to the first ?virtual? terminal (ctrl-alt 1)

Later I tried the xUbuntu 14.04 V1.1 image and had a segmentation fault on boot the first time. I wrote the xubuntu image to the same flash drive a second time and had the same result. I haven't looked in anymore detail, and apart from taking a photo of the boot screen, am not sure how to share the output. Just before the segmentation fault there appears to be another screen of text that clears quickly and returns to the usual joggler boot screen text. I may have been mistaken, as I only saw this once. The first time I booted I wasn't really looking...

I wonder what other people have experienced with the f2fs images ?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I've not tested them for a while (they are built automatically along with the other images), so they could just be broken. I'll check when I get a chance.
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

BuZz wrote:I've not tested them for a while (they are built automatically along with the other images), so they could just be broken. I'll check when I get a chance.
Thanks BuZz. If you need any information from me, please let me know here. I haven't really used the images that much and it is a new adventure for me (f2fs, boot debugging and maybe some other things). I also wonder if it has anything to do with the USB sticks I use as I typically get the cheapest...
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
I alway's use a usb hard drive to get best performance. The flash drive's i have are too slow for a big os.
I did try the f2fs image i am sure that one worked (been trying few os's) At the moment i am using the btfrs image
it's running really nice i am happy with it.
atennant

Post by atennant »

Has anyone recently downloaded and unzipped any of the Xubuntu 14.04 images? I did about a month ago with no issue, but my colleague cannot get one to download and successfully unzip. I just pulled the xubuntu_14.04-v1.1-f2fs.img.gz image down myself and can no longer unzip it. It errors out with Error #1, saying the operation is not permitted. It happens on my Mac as well as his Win7 box, and it happens with a variety of unzip utilities.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

atennant wrote:Has anyone recently downloaded and unzipped any of the Xubuntu 14.04 images? I did about a month ago with no issue, but my colleague cannot get one to download and successfully unzip. I just pulled the xubuntu_14.04-v1.1-f2fs.img.gz image down myself and can no longer unzip it. It errors out with Error #1, saying the operation is not permitted. It happens on my Mac as well as his Win7 box, and it happens with a variety of unzip utilities.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
Hi, I think I've had the same problem - or something very similar.

I downloaded the latest mint (f2fs) and JoliOS (ext3/4) images on win xp with firefox using downthemall. I tried to run the downloads concurrently and also tried surfing the exotica site at the same time. It didn't work very well and both the second download and navigating to another page on exotica hung for some time. On extracting the downloaded images using 7-zip, both produced errors and it was not possible to produce the image from the .gz archive. I calculated the md5 checksums from the downloaded images and they were both different from the checksums published. I put the corruption down to the security software I have on XP which is a PITA, and which I thought was seeing a false-positive and changing it on the fly. After a second download and the errors being produced at a slightly different position in the archives, I put it down to the server and maybe trying to do things concurrently.

So I later did the download using xubuntu and it went very well, without any hangs or pauses surfing the exotica site and downloading concurrently. Used firefox and downthemall, same as XP, but this time the images came down fine.

So, from my experience, it would appear that to use Linux may help. Exactly what the issue is, I am not sure. But I would advise you to check/test the archive and to compute and compare the checksum.

HTH
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

atennant:
I'm not sure these are the same issues - but information about what tools you are trying to use might help. Note that .gz is not the same file format as zip, so not all unzip tools may handle .gz (gzip) - software like 7-zip should fine.

Juggler:
Regarding stalls - maybe your connection was saturated ? or maybe you were hitting my machine at a busy time - it is not high spec hardware (is it necessary to download 2 images at once ?). I've reduced the download speed now of the images, as if people are doing multiple downloads (it was set to 2MB/second previously - now 1MB) that could affect performance for other users. It may be more reliable now too, although I've not seen any data corruption myself from testing.

I recommend not using download accelerators and just downloading the file normally. If there is a speed limit set, it's because I set it - working around that (by using programs that split it into multiple downloads) puts more strain the server, and in fact will end up with me having to lock stuff down further (such as connection limits etc). Your download accelerator is probably to blame for your data corruption.
Error

Post by Error »

I just downloaded the ext4 image en un-7-zipped it, wrote it to an usb stick..

It won't boot into Xubuntu; it says on the screen:

ACPI: no DMI BIOS year, acpi=force is required to enable ACPI
EFI: ioremap of 0x1FAF000 failed!
i8042: No controller found
usbhid 4-2:1.1: couldn't find an input interrupt endpoint
Gave up wating for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
- Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
- Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-label/;linux-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.21.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.21-0-1ubuntu1) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) _ **a blinking cursor here **

Eehm.. what is going on? should I download F2FS version or what?
Error

Post by Error »

no one got a clue?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Did you try and download the other version ? Or re do the one you have , maybe on another usb stick .
Happy Joggling
Error

Post by Error »

late reply; I got it working by using another stick with the f2fs-version written on it!

Attached a hub to the joggler with the Xubuntu stick in it, as well as my wireless keyboard and mouse. Works great.