Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by BuZz »

The instructions are on the first page of the skin thread - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=84175
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Updates to Ubuntu / Xubuntu images (09/04/2013)

* XBMC 12.1 (and switched back to Xeebo skin)
* Distro package rollups.
tomaszd

Post by tomaszd »

BuZz wrote:Updates to Ubuntu / Xubuntu images (09/04/2013)

* XBMC 12.1 (and switched back to Xeebo skin)
* Distro package rollups.
Hey BuZz, we all really appreciate what you've been doing so far for the Joggler community, I personally use two jogglers with your releases. Would you be willing to put together a new release for us? Perhaps some security rollups (packages and a new kernel for 12.04), even a 13.04 release maybe? I'm asking for newer releases specifically because subsystems such as Bluetooth handling have been much improved in the later versions.

I've been rolling my own traditional (non-Joggler) releases a long time ago and I know it takes much longer than anyone realizes, but I do lack the expertise the handle the crazy EFI bootloading procedures.

Despite the lack of activity here, I'm sure many people still use their Jogglers, I love mine. I've recently converted one of them to a Bluetooth A2DP stereo audio receiver for my phone, it works brilliantly, no need to buy those expensive dedicated Bluetooth speakers.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

tomaszd wrote: Hey BuZz, we all really appreciate what you've been doing so far for the Joggler community, I personally use two jogglers with your releases. Would you be willing to put together a new release for us? Perhaps some security rollups (packages and a new kernel for 12.04), even a 13.04 release maybe? I'm asking for newer releases specifically because subsystems such as Bluetooth handling have been much improved in the later versions.

I've been rolling my own traditional (non-Joggler) releases a long time ago and I know it takes much longer than anyone realizes, but I do lack the expertise the handle the crazy EFI bootloading procedures.

Despite the lack of activity here, I'm sure many people still use their Jogglers, I love mine. I've recently converted one of them to a Bluetooth A2DP stereo audio receiver for my phone, it works brilliantly, no need to buy those expensive dedicated Bluetooth speakers.
I'm short on free time due to other projects currently. I don't have the time to do ubuntu releases every 6 months, so I'm going to stick with the LTS releases from now on. When you talk about bluetooth, are you referring to userland code or kernel code ? please be more specific etc (and new kernels, are you talking about updates to the 3.2 long term kernel, or you want a newer 3.x series ?)
tomaszd

Post by tomaszd »

BuZz wrote:
tomaszd wrote: Hey BuZz, we all really appreciate what you've been doing so far for the Joggler community, I personally use two jogglers with your releases. Would you be willing to put together a new release for us? Perhaps some security rollups (packages and a new kernel for 12.04), even a 13.04 release maybe? I'm asking for newer releases specifically because subsystems such as Bluetooth handling have been much improved in the later versions.

I'm short on free time due to other projects currently. I don't have the time to do ubuntu releases every 6 months, so I'm going to stick with the LTS releases from now on. When you talk about bluetooth, are you referring to userland code or kernel code ? please be more specific etc (and new kernels, are you talking about updates to the 3.2 long term kernel, or you want a newer 3.x series ?)
With regards to Bluetooth I meant both (latest SBC codec, latest BlueZ and latest kernel), but that's just for mucking around with it.

But don't bother with it if you don't have the time, I'd rather have a solid LTS release update once in a while with a security-updated LTS kernel.
tmohammad

Post by tmohammad »

Hi

how do i get rid of the "update notification". the big white on red exclamation mark is annoying. "Show Notifications" is unticked yet it still shows!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

i googled it and there were a few answers - this is more a xubuntu question than a joggler one - so I would check on the ubuntu forum etc.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

ps just wanted to say a continued thanks for the Ubuntu LTS releases you are doing.. I use them daily..
Angelo
pete

Post by pete »

Here too I would like to compliment Buzz (Julian) on his latest Ubuntu Build!

Great stuff there Julian!

I accidently wiped my previous Joggler II build on the SSD drive and just replaced it with your most current build; very nice.

I am currently playing a bit with your new Ubuntu/XBMC set up; truely a work of art.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

thanks :) I apologise I have not produced any updated images for a while. It is time I did at least a kernel 3.2.x and package updates. Partly due to lack of free time, and other ongoing projects (I am easily distracted!). I was also looking at a newer kernel etc, but didn't manage to solve the audio switching issues yet.

I hope to get an update out soon. my plan is to a 14.04 stable lts release next year.
manaesh

Post by manaesh »

Hi Buzz

I think i have found an issue with your Base image?

I have procured 5 more jogglers of the ebay - and each one exibits the same issue...

On first boot, eth0 is intialised and works without issue. However, after each reboot, the eth number increments, I got upto eth8 before I was bored.

Obviously, there is no config for subsequent eths that are created, so there is no IP connectivity....

I removed your script - sudo rm /etc/network/joggler-eth

And after many reboots, the same eth number is kept....

Had me flummoxed for a bit...

Cheers!!

Mike
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

I've experience the same as manaesh also, although I didn't look into it, in the detail manaesh has.

I experienced the increment on the name of the Ethernet interface just after doing an update of all the packages after a fresh install, and subsequent reboots. I may have had some other problems, but it was a long time ago. I recall having connectivity difficulties, which I knew by the clock not being updated. Sorry, a bit vague here.

This appears to only be an issue with the V1.4 of the Ubuntu 12.04 base image with BTRFS (haven't tried the EXT image).

I've been using the V1.3 base image as that seems to update ok, and has been running fine for what I'd like to do with it.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Not seen the issue here, but im going to push out an update, so ill check for it before i do.
manaesh

Post by manaesh »

Thanks Buzz

Can confirm it is the latest BTRFS image from your website that i am seeing the issue on..

Just building up a gold image for my 6 jogglers that will be placed round the house.... Clonezilla comes in handy!!!

Good work with all the Jogger images - we all appreciate your hard work!!!

Cheers

Mike
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Can you try the ext4 image ? I don't use btrfs anymore. It was too unreliable/poor at recovery compared to ext4 (and our kernel is pretty old so we don't have a very recent btrfs)
manaesh

Post by manaesh »

Will do - just used that BTRFS one as im going to eventually chuck it all on a internal USB stick...

Is the EXT4 ok for USB sticks as long as journaling is disabled?

(I think i used your previous ext4 base image with a HDD based joggler without issue around a year ago...)

Cheers

Mike
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I run ext4 with journalling. May well wear em out a bit more, but I saw an artcle showing the amount of additional writes (from the author of ext4) and it didn't look too bad. usb flash has basic wear levelling also. I've had a few USB stick's die on the joggler, but some sre still going - and seems more about which brand/type of flash rather than the usage.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

really could do with a flash optimised fs I guess though. also need a new kernel. Maybe I will look into this for 14.04 ubuntu.
pete

Post by pete »

Mike,

What automation software are you using? Here too using automation software on the Jogglers here and there. Driving WAF a bit low with two testing Jogglers in the master bedroom; remote controling the shutoff of the screens every night; except for when there is a "glitch". I do have the "mothership" managing most of the Jogglers base hardware stuff.

I have done similiar here using Buzz's base Ubuntu Ext4 build and Ubuntu Ext4 desktop builds. I did keep messing up the original BTRFS builds so went to Ext4 a while ago. On the base build just its just sitting right now and I have updated it and added Buzz's XBMC stuff. Concurrently also playing with SB and one plugin and different skins for the Joggler touch screen. Initially had moved to USB SSD drives (removing them from the cases) then eventually over to using pata ZIF 15cm cables over to 16gb zif SSD drives.

a bit to a tangent relating to the Openframe boxes....

I have though moved mostly to using the Openframe 2 (or 1); Joggler 2 or 3 and seabios for wintel devices into the mix. The Openframe 2 devices have a mini pcie slot. There I have tested using the Broadcom Crystal HD card with provides nice live and recorded 1080 streaming. This can be utilized for CCTV HD stuff too.

Mostly though moved from using a USB boot to an SSD PATA boot drive; small at 16Gb. There is enough room inside for both wireless USB stick and SSD PATA drive with a 15cm ZIF cable.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
manaesh

Post by manaesh »

Hi All

@Buzz

I have rebuilt using the EXT4 image, and the ETH issue does not occur.

its running perfectly after reboots - and also seems MUCH quicker than the btrfs image - to install lubuntu desktop took around 5 hours on the btrfs image, just an hour on the ext4 image...

I think i will leave journalling on, the USB cards I am going to use are only £5 a go - and I have an easy to deploy image - not an issue if they go pop i think!

I have an image that now boots up into Mythtv, HStouch and Squeezeplay - navigation by a cheap MS Media Centre clone IR remote.. perfect!

@Pete

I think we use the same automation software, HS2 - I follow your posts on the Homeseer board!

I like your idea of a script to turn them off when not in use, and as the power will be supplied via POE - that should be quite easy to implement. I think I have ordered the same POE adapters as yourself, the TPLink TL-POE10R POE Splitter - will see how that goes!

The Openpeak 2 devices sound interesting - do you have any info on them? Cant see anything in google!

Have you converted to HS3 yet? I am holding off for the moment, as the whole house runs on HS2, and it is stable at the moment...

I have test installed HS3 under Ubuntu & Mono, looks like I could get rid of the final Windoze machine! Needs some more testing though!!

Happy new year everyone!

Cheers

Mike