Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by BuZz »

they all contain an installer script cept for the base image - but you can install it there easily also.

you can't flash them to internal memory (too big).. the base image could be, but its not set up for that. I wouldnt bother using the slow/fragile internal flash anyway.

you can install pnp3 with usbkey afaik, but better to ask on pnp3 thread. it will add stuff to the existing os, so you dont lose anything.
tmohammad

Post by tmohammad »

BuZz wrote:read a couple of posts up! :)
Thanks Buzz.. updates sorted now.
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

BuZz wrote:they all contain an installer script cept for the base image - but you can install it there easily also.

you can't flash them to internal memory (too big).. the base image could be, but its not set up for that. I wouldnt bother using the slow/fragile internal flash anyway.

you can install pnp3 with usbkey afaik, but better to ask on pnp3 thread. it will add stuff to the existing os, so you dont lose anything.

hello buzz:

I 'm using the ubuntu OS now, the squeezeplay runing very well in it. its a great OS for joggler!!!
though tunein is still filtered by China's GFW ,some radio station which can't be played in stock os are back now !!!
I was plan to plug a usb DAC to that port.
do you think there will be a internal version of ubuntu in the future?
thank you very much
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

hello,there is something wrong when updating, I'm trying to telnet to joggler, but seems can't reach the ip address even by ping

can I have the root pwd of root account? I need it to fix the broken update, thanks
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

cszhy wrote:hello,there is something wrong when updating, I'm trying to telnet to joggler, but seems can't reach the ip address even by ping

can I have the root pwd of root account? I need it to fix the broken update, thanks
telnet is not enabled by default on my distros. joggler has internet access? if you run "ifconfig" from a terminal what does it say the ip is (either eth0 or wlan depending what you are using).

root account does not have a password for logging in. you login as joggler/joggler and sudo to root.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

cszhy wrote: do you think there will be a internal version of ubuntu in the future?
I have no plans to make it run from the internal flash at least. it wouldn't fit in its current form without some package removals, but it's much easier/safer just to use a small usb stick imho.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Updates to Ubuntu / Xubuntu images (30/12/2012)

* Updated to EMGD 1.16
* Fixed up path to Maverick repositories.
* Distro package rollups.
travish

Post by travish »

Hello,

I am currently having a play with this great build, and love the Xubuntu build for its speed.
I am keen to get squeezelite going on the Xubuntu build so it can double as a background /daemon media player, and run a few other apps (but not the squeeze player app, since I have a different GUI controller I am keen to run).

Anyway I managed to get the Squeezelite to run on the joggler, but could not get any sound from the default rear speakers other than static, I was wondering if you have been able to get this working on the joggler, and if so could you provide an idea on how to get it running.

Including it in the next build would be great :),

Thanks for the great build and any help you can provide :).
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

what does 'broken pipe' mean? Intermittent crashes with this error on reboot, sometimes repeatedly, sometimes not at all. Image about to kick bucket?

EDIT: no worries. googled it. not about to kick bucket. Is some kind of issue but nothing i'm going to investigate. :)
Horatio

Network probelms on Xubuntu

Post by Horatio »

Hey, I've been struggling with a strange intermittant networking problem, I wondered if anyone had any ideas of how to fix it.

Basically the issue is that even tho I get an IP address I don't get any network 'stuff' happening. The time doesnt update, squeezeplay wont see the server, etc. This happens, atm, maybe 9 times out of 10 after powering up, and its driving me mad....

I've tried both Xubuntu 12.4 and 12.10, tried replacing Network Manager with WiCD (which is on there now), tried DHCP and now static IP, specified DNS, and loads of other thing from the internets.

So any suggestions, I'd love to hear them, cheers!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

output of "ifconfig" ?
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Hi Buzz, bizarrely, now I can't get it to fail! (It did once but i lost my saved file with the ifconfig text).

When it's going wrong I get a few of these in dmesg;

r8169: eth0: link down
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

Anyhoo, working today, all is well, cheers.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

So it wouldn't come up yesterday, i compared the ifconfigs when working and not and they're exactly the same -apart from the number of tx and rx bytes. What's odd is that unless it has a huge cache, Ubuntu software centre seems to get data, but nothing on the local network talks. But also pinging the bbc or whatever gives unknown host.

Like i say, im completely at a loss, nobody likes an intermittant problem, maybe its one of these wierd USB stick issues...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I point you to my last request. (I know you said they are the same but I want to check). also contents of /etc/resolv.conf
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

So here is ifconfig when its not working;

Code: Select all

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:19:9a:76:74:79  
          inet addr:10.0.0.15  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe60::319:9aff:fe76:7479/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:272 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:1492 (1.4 KB)  TX bytes:21325 (21.3 KB)
          Interrupt:40 Base address:0x4000 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:303 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:303 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:25656 (25.6 KB)  TX bytes:25656 (25.6 KB)
In resolve.conf it's:

Code: Select all

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
I can't ping anything on the local network either even tho the router says its there, and it has an IP :? Tis odd...

Thanks a lot for taking a look, it's appreciated.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

nothing there that tells me anything (I was wondering if the mac address wasn't being set correctly). Have you tried using a different cable/switch etc to rule out hardware issues ?
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Yup the MACs ok. I have tried different cables, but yes trying a different router is an idea, ill try it later -some kind of communication misspeak between them maybe.

Reading online it seems theres so many issues with this Realtek NIC, each with their own fix, tho nothing works permanently. Just a thought, does 12.04 use the same r8168 driver as in Natty?

Things I'll try are the router, a 3rd usb drive, maybe go back to Network Manager and set static IP there, which i dont think i did before, anyway will post if I sort it in case anyone else has similar problems.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

same driver - I am using the vendor driver rather than the in kernel one, as the kernel one froze on large data transfers.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

<<post deleted -misinformation>>
Last edited by Horatio on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valve90210

Post by valve90210 »

Can any one tell me how I would do about adding the Joggler skin to xbmc running from this image? I had tried the image which boots directly into xbmc but it was really slow so I tried this version, including upping the throttling temperature and it seems to be running much much faster, which is nice.

Now I would like to try the joggler skin which previously brought my joggler to it's knees, as it looks like it's very pretty and functional and would look good even when the joggler is idle, where as retouched, which looks great and works nicely in use looks dull and unhelpful when idle...