Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Ubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by BuZz »

dada_dudu wrote:I upgraded my highly customized Ubuntu install successfully from Maverick to Natty. The seemingly only thing that doesn't work out of the box is the new 2.6.38 kernel (although I may be missing other things). It would be great if I could install your tweaked kernel from the PPA but it does not seem to be there? Or does the full image have other PPAs set up as well (I'm using ppa:jools/joggler).

Many thanks for your work!
ihave 2 ppas for the joggler. one for emgd and one for the main stuff ppa:jools/joggler that you already know. the kernel packages are not managed via the ppa, as to upgrade requires some manual grub config tweaking but you can download the debs from http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/packages/kernel/2.6.38/
Utakos

Post by Utakos »

BuZz wrote:you can plug in a keyboard and then do alt+left mouse to drag the window into view. or operate it remotely over vnc for example. if you want all windows to auto maximise, you can run the tool "maximus". jolios uses this by default. unfortunately some windows still will not fit, and with only a touchscreen it can be tricky. using easystroke you can configure a gesture to "move" a window which can work ok.
Many thanks Buzz, would it be possible for anyone to let me know what I need to do to set up vnc although at the moment it could be a bit of a problem as my Joggler refuses to connect to my BT home hub via wifi wpa secure. Tango works fine even android but Ubuntu just sits there and then pops up disconected, I have read that Ubuntu does not like a Hex key only alphanumeric so I may give this a go unless someone knows better?
gegs

Post by gegs »

Utakos wrote:...would it be possible for anyone to let me know what I need to do to set up vnc...
I use TightVNC on my PC (I think BuZz recommended it). It is free and a dawdle to set up.
http://www.tightvnc.com/
Utakos

Post by Utakos »

OK, thank you will download, do I need to run anything on the Joggler?
kazan

Post by kazan »

BuZz wrote:
kazan wrote:Hi BuZz,

thank you so much for your Natty img. It's great, it's much better than 10.10.
I have got only 2 small problems.
1) I'm using WiFi connection and once per week network connection disappears although Joggler is still showing that connection is active, but it's not. So I have to manually disconnect from my network and connect again. It's not major issue but can be annoying. I have had same problems on 10.10 image.
2) I love your squeezebox and it's running all the time 24/7 because it's great and has got great screensaver but after a day sound disappears and I need to turn squeezebox off and turn it on again to get a sound.
1. you could try a different network manager tool like "wicd" and see if that works better.
2. this fix http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 1191#p1191 should fix teh sound cutting out after a day. or uninstall my squeezeplay and use http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14 which I think may have this fix included.
Thanks BuZz, I want to try this but somehow I can't find /etc/asound.conf . It's just not there. Any idea?

Cheers,
|Kazan|
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Try making a new file.
Utakos

Post by Utakos »

Changed the wireless key to all numbers on the hub for the WPA & WPA2 Personal and still refuses to connect

OK, software reset then hardware reset the home hub and now all up and running, poxy router.
Utakos

Post by Utakos »

Sorry, me again. Found a site that has background confluence images for xbmc resized to the Joggler resolution but it will not let me past them into the folder, it says I am unable as I am not the owner of the XBMC folder "root" is ?
Horatio

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick ) for the O2 Joggler.

Post by Horatio »

roobarb! wrote:
BuZz wrote:
roobarb! wrote:Bit of an odd one here, BuZz - I've got a Joggler that won't accept the MAC address given to it by your startup script. The /etc/network/joggler-eth file has one MAC address (00:92:08:ca:6a:f4), but the one reported by ifconfig is completely different (da:be:df:2e:36:98). If I issue:

Code: Select all

ip link set eth0 address 00:92:08:ca:6a:f4
Then it does set it correctly, but something seems to be overriding it on startup. This is on your latest image - v1.6.1. :|
tried with a new image just to make sure nothing bad happened to the one its running off ?

there is joggler-eth.conf in /etc/init/ ? if the mac isnt set and you do "sudo start joggler-eth" does it set it ?

what's in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
Yes, this is a brand new image. joggler-eth.conf is present in /etc/init and running sudo start joggler-eth does set the MAC properly. The udev rules file contains what I'd expect:

Code: Select all

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:92:08:ca:6a:f4", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"
Adding some echo messages to joggler-eth.conf shows that it is indeed running on startup, but then something else is messing with the MAC. It's now set itself to fa:9e:ef:1c:36:98... Bizarre.

Wondering if this issue was ever resolved? Im having the same problem, Ive tried all the suggestions including trying WICD, and having a static ip, but still eventually end up with a random MAC address, its driving me crazy, the last issue in my setup.

Be grateful for any suggestions..
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

does "ip link set eth0 address MACADDRESS" change it for you ? if so, you could just stick that in /etc/rc.local or something
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Hey BuZz, thanks for the reply, it sort of works in that ifconfig reports it as instructed, but my router isnt seeing this MAC at the right time in order to assign it its 'reserved' ip (the result being SB server and SP wont talk properly to each other initially). Also my system clock keeps being reset to jan 2000 00:00, is this because it gets the time from the net on startup?

Could you tell me where the file that assigns a random MAC is, and if I stopped it doing this and put the 'lp link set' command in instead would this work do you think?

Cheers

edit; the MAC in 'network connections' is also different to the one i've given it...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

/etc/init/joggler-eth.conf - however the idea is it should create a random one then save it to the filesystem. check if you have a /etc/network/joggler-eth if not creating that file with a mac address and it should use that on startup.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

That's all there, so I deleted everything in joggler-eth and then replaced it with lp link set et0 address B8:B8:B8:B8:B8:B8 Then on the next boot it added an extra network connection with a MAC of 38:38:38:38:38:38, so i deleted the other one, then on the next boot there were no network connections (and no network)-they had disapeared! It seems to arbitrarily add or delete connections ascribing them random addresses. Im very confused.

Do you often shutdown yours? I take it you dont have this problem?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

i have shut them down many times during development etc. I don't have this problem no. On the first boot of my image, it will make a random mac to use. then as soon as the filesystem is mounted read/write it will save this to the joggler-eth file in /etc/networks. then on the next boot, instead of generating a random mac it will use the one from the file. you should just be able to put a value in here for it to be set on startup. to reset to how i ship the images, delete "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules" and "/etc/network/ and /etc/network/joggler-eth and it should make a new mac on boot and save it. to force the mac to a specific address putting it in /etc/network/joggler-eth should work fine.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Cheers Buzz, I did the above, but while the mac will stay on its own network connection(eth0), it keeps creating and then using a new connection (now eth2) with its own new mac -as if its maliciously trying to thwart my attempts at a static mac address! :)

Maybe in all my tinkering I messed smtg up, might try a fresh image on the weekend, worth trying Natty maybe??
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

well its worth a try. i can only think the issue is related to processing order, and in your case my script is being run too early or something. odd though. natty image should work. odd issues like this do seem to connect back to usb sticks, and considering the cheap cost of such, it might be worth trying another one.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

So I tried Natty on a different usb stick and everything works brilliantly, very chuffed. MAC has stuck, and even odd issues like podcasts on automatic repeat have gone. Thanks again.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

does seem like most issues are down to usb sticks with the joggler with stuff.
goodlife

Post by goodlife »

I just tried image V1.0 of Ubuntu 11.04.
Mostly works OK, but trying to use IPlayer plugin in XBMC gives the error: "No module named zlib. Please check you installed this plugin correctly"

I previously tried the Mint image, it worked OK with that.

Any ideas?

cheers,

rob
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

sorry for the late reply, must have missed your post. I don't know why you would get that error. I'm going to update all the images soonish, and I'll check xbmc works on all of them. I'm also going to ship a stable xbmc dharma 10.1 if i can rather than a git build, along with the xeebo skin as it works nicely with the joggler.