Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Ubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by BuZz »

could be. and one to add to a big list of natty glitches. buggiest ubuntu yet. :(
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Hey, v1.6 of the EMGD drivers are out! :)

I wonder what's changed this time?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

roobarb! wrote:Hey, v1.6 of the EMGD drivers are out! :)

aah good. I saw they were "out" on meego, but preferred to wait for the official release. I know that the gma500 team already packaged it and unity 3d still doesnt work :/, so it may well have opengl issues still.

release notes http://download.intel.com/embedded/soft ... ES_1.6.txt

Also a new linux mint rc is out, so I guess ill do that too.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Are you planning on rolling this out for Maverick too? Natty is just too buggy for me at the moment.

Maybe I should get in on this JoliOS everyone seems to like these days? ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

So long as everything is compatible, I'll add it to the ppa, so you can update maverick. I may or may not rebuild the images also.
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

BuZz wrote:
Cheetah wrote:When I have have a USB Flash Drive (with the Ubuntu on it) and a hard drive plugged in at the same time it doesn't boot properly.

Anyone know why this is or how to fix it? (Other than removing the drive and plugging it in when OS is loaded)

Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks for the great images(s) btw!
probably need to change the grub.cfg where it states the boot device (hd0,x) etc . maybe change to hd1 (from memory as I haven't actually checked)
Hi Buzz,

I know I reported otherwise, but it appears that this fix doesn't work...do you know where I could find the correct "hd" to set it to? Is there a linux command? Or is there something I could search for in Google that would tell me?

...or if not, do you have any other ideas?

Thanks again.

EDIT:

I thought this might help me debug it:

Code: Select all

joggler@joggler:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 1028 MB, 1028128768 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 31376 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/mmcblk0p1   *           1        1954       62520   ef  EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
/dev/mmcblk0p2            1955        9768      250048   83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p3            9769       17582      250048   83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p4           17583       31376      441408   83  Linux

Disk /dev/sda: 4026 MB, 4026531840 bytes
4 heads, 32 sectors/track, 61440 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 128 * 512 = 65536 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0006ce94

/dev/sda1   *          17         992       62464    e  W95 FAT16 (LBA)
/dev/sda2             993        8800      499712   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3            8801       60944     3337216   83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00097ff2

/dev/sdb1               1      121602   976759808    7  HPFS/NTFS
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Cheetah: if you have two devices, then the usb stick boot partition might not be hd0,1 but hd1,1 for example.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

roobarb! wrote:Hey, v1.6 of the EMGD drivers are out! :)

Dunno if it will interest you, but unity 3d works with the new driver ;-) (not that I want to use it, but working is better than crashing!)

Must try an xbmc opengl build next. if that works, then xbmc + vaapi might be doable (as latest emgd supports new libva). that would be nice.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I had some xbmc opengl builds with vaapi enabled handy, so I gave it a go. XBMC mostly now works too. Excellent that the opengl issues seem to have been solved. I did have a few freezes though and vaapi rendering froze. Something for me to look at though once I have the new drivers up.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

new emgd drivers and libva are on my ppa. apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade should suffice.

xbmc with opengl works but seems pretty unstable. Will stick with the gles build for now. Perhaps the next version of emgd will do better still :)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

That's brilliant, BuZz - thanks for the updates! It is good to see that they are ironing some of the bugs out. :)
zuccster

Post by zuccster »

elcrazy wrote:Update. rolled back to 10.10 and everything is working fine. Interestingly enough, the default dim timeout is 5 min, which can be successfully changed to whatever is needed.

So it looks like 11,04-natty does'nt take any account any changes made via the gnome menu [power options]

Smells like a natty bug to me... [and the waste of a whole Sunday troubleshooting]
Although it's a bit late for you now, you can fix this by adding the following to the end of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code: Select all

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "BlankTime" "0"
    Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

BuZz wrote:Cheetah: if you have two devices, then the usb stick boot partition might not be hd0,1 but hd1,1 for example.
Is there any intuitive way to find out what the numbers should be?

By switching the USB ports the devices are plugged into I get a different error:

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

ok so it got to the initramfs good. now you need to change "root=/dev/sda3" to "root=/dev/sdb3" most likely. I should probably use labels/uuids in the grub cfg - im sure I must have tested this so perhaps there was a reason i didnt.
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

BuZz wrote:ok so it got to the initramfs good. now you need to change "root=/dev/sda3" to "root=/dev/sdb3" most likely. I should probably use labels/uuids in the grub cfg - im sure I must have tested this so perhaps there was a reason i didnt.
Genius. That worked.

So for anyone browsing that had the same situation as me this is what I did:

- Switched the devices around in the USB Hub.
- Changed "root=/dev/sda3" to "root=/dev/sdb3" in grub.cfg.
dada_dudu

Post by dada_dudu »

I upgraded my highly customized Ubuntu install successfully from Maverick to Natty. The seemingly only thing that doesn't work out of the box is the new 2.6.38 kernel (although I may be missing other things). It would be great if I could install your tweaked kernel from the PPA but it does not seem to be there? Or does the full image have other PPAs set up as well (I'm using ppa:jools/joggler).

Many thanks for your work!
kazan

Post by kazan »

Hi BuZz,

thank you so much for your Natty img. It's great, it's much better than 10.10.
I have got only 2 small problems.
1) I'm using WiFi connection and once per week network connection disappears although Joggler is still showing that connection is active, but it's not. So I have to manually disconnect from my network and connect again. It's not major issue but can be annoying. I have had same problems on 10.10 image.
2) I love your squeezebox and it's running all the time 24/7 because it's great and has got great screensaver but after a day sound disappears and I need to turn squeezebox off and turn it on again to get a sound.

If you could help with this that would be great.

Thank you,
Kazan
Utakos

Post by Utakos »

Hope I am not going over already trodden ground and I am an Ubuntu noob, quite a few windows open but the "ok, apply, close" buttons are off the bottom of the screen unless they are maximised
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

you can plug in a keyboard and then do alt+left mouse to drag the window into view. or operate it remotely over vnc for example. if you want all windows to auto maximise, you can run the tool "maximus". jolios uses this by default. unfortunately some windows still will not fit, and with only a touchscreen it can be tricky. using easystroke you can configure a gesture to "move" a window which can work ok.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

kazan wrote:Hi BuZz,

thank you so much for your Natty img. It's great, it's much better than 10.10.
I have got only 2 small problems.
1) I'm using WiFi connection and once per week network connection disappears although Joggler is still showing that connection is active, but it's not. So I have to manually disconnect from my network and connect again. It's not major issue but can be annoying. I have had same problems on 10.10 image.
2) I love your squeezebox and it's running all the time 24/7 because it's great and has got great screensaver but after a day sound disappears and I need to turn squeezebox off and turn it on again to get a sound.
1. you could try a different network manager tool like "wicd" and see if that works better.
2. this fix http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 1191#p1191 should fix teh sound cutting out after a day. or uninstall my squeezeplay and use http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14 which I think may have this fix included.