White Screen Joggler - Is it dead, or can it be fixed?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Mezaial

White Screen Joggler - Is it dead, or can it be fixed?

Post by Mezaial »

I own a Joggler that recently just started showing me a white screen when it is powered up. :cry:

I have always used it the way O2 designed it straight out the box. After it failed I decided to look online yesterday for a solution and found out that you could load other operating systems on memory sticks and have it boot up this way. Which is very cool, and something I definitely want to play around with now that I've discovered it, but alas my Joggler doesn't work, so I can't.

I have read several tutorials and have tried to create my own Ubunto memory stick. I followed the instructions on this page http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/ubuntu/ and chose to download the following file:

Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric) (Joggler Image v1.2 - 09/02/2012):
Download the Btrfs compressed version (1.2 GB) - md5sum d73c46ecadf5a5e64ba5f9ba8dbe939f.

I then unpacked the file as instructed and used Win32DiskImager to write the image to the memory stick. Which all worked fine. The problem is that when I inserted the stick and powered it up, the Joggler just continued to show me a white screen. I have left it running for a while to see if the Ubunto is actually running and the screen is faulty and that is why I cant see anything. I have been waiting to hear some kind of Ubunto startup sound or just any kind of sound, but nothing.

Did I download the right file?
Did I create the memory stick correctly?
Should something of happened?
Am I missing something?
Is the Joggler now dead and I should look for a cheap replacement?

I thank you in advance for any responses you may have. Please remember that I am brand new to the world of customising Jogglers, and there is a lot to take in at first. Please could you explain anything in simple to understand instructions.

Any input you may have would be well appreciated.
blc

Re: White Screen Joggler - Is it dead, or can it be fixed?

Post by blc »

Does it do the same thing when you try to boot it normally? (i.e., without a USB stick plugged in)

Regardless of whether you're trying to boot from USB, you should see an OpenPeak or O2 logo as soon as you plug in the power. If not, the unit itself may be faulty... Someone else here with more experience of this device may have other advice though; I only got my joggler last week, so I'm not overly familiar with the boot process.
Mezaial

Post by Mezaial »

blc wrote:Does it do the same thing when you try to boot it normally? (i.e., without a USB stick plugged in)
Yes
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

the bright white screen normally only flashes up for half a second before the O2/OP logo appears and the boot process continues. It's not looking too good for your Joggler. :'(
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
Mezaial

Post by Mezaial »

Mevi wrote:the bright white screen normally only flashes up for half a second before the O2/OP logo appears and the boot process continues. It's not looking too good for your Joggler. :'(
Yeah it is a permanently white screen.

I was thinking of making a video to show you, but decided what's the point. You all know what a Joggler looks like, just imagine one with a permanently white screen.

Thanks for the help, If I cant find a fix I'll try to find another one cheap somewhere.

Doe's anyone want to buy this Joggler? Maybe someone want's it for parts or something. It is in mint condition with all the bits and original box. The box is showing signs of wear though.

Interested? Make me an offer.
cbredfred

Post by cbredfred »

One of my five Jogglers has this problem.
It will not boot from USB devices or the internal flash memory.
I have had it apart and tried switching parts from a working Joggler only to find that the screen assembly is serviceable as is the EFI chip, that only leaves the main board.
I'm not saying yours will be exactly the same, but if it is, then it might be of use to someone who has a cracked/defective screen.