O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
lamb.chop

Re: O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

Post by lamb.chop »

No update yet for me....
Glenn2

Post by Glenn2 »

roobarb! wrote:In case anybody else is less than enamoured with the update (on balance, I think my preference is for the O2 version), if you have not already been updated you could try using the Update Control tool (click the 'various tools' link in my sig). It should, I think, prevent the new update from being applied.
Great - just done this, and I've also done this (scroll down to the bit about disabling updates):

http://webdiary.com/2010/11/05/squeezeb ... -a-budget/

They won't get me I tell you!

Actually, my Joggler didn't offer me the update after nearly two days of waiting before I did any of this...

Glenn
pete

Post by pete »

This is kind of very similiar to what happened to the Logitech Revue box once discontinued. Logitech though went one more step "beyond"; first upping the OS to ICS, removed many features from it; then locked it up such that you couldn't tweak it anymore.

O2 though left the door open such that you could still keep using old firmware or continue to modify newest based no frills FW.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jkn

Post by jkn »

Well, neither of my Jogglers got updated automatically ... so I used the supplied image to 'update' one ... and so far am pretty unimpressed.

As others have said, it removes most of what is useful and adds stuff I don't want or need.

I plan on adding the /etc/hosts patch to prevent my main joggler being updated.

I've lost track ... is there any way I can revert to the stock S/W?

Thanks a lot

J^n
hardz

Post by hardz »

How do I prevent the update again?

Is there a date after which the O2 update will pass and I no longer have to worry about the forced update?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

2 Jogglers plugged in hooked up to internet no updates so far :)
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

The updates haven't made it as far north as Scotland yet.
Turvey

Post by Turvey »

dwl99 wrote:The updates haven't made it as far north as Scotland yet.
Thank goodness! :D
chelseagirl

Post by chelseagirl »

No update for me yet (Oxfordshire)
roobarb!

O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

Post by roobarb! »

jkn wrote:I've lost track ... is there any way I can revert to the stock S/W?
My reflash tool should still work fine to go back to O2 version from the OP one. It'll work forever if you hang on to the image file it downloads.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
jkn

Post by jkn »

roobarb! wrote:
jkn wrote:I've lost track ... is there any way I can revert to the stock S/W?
My reflash tool should still work fine to go back to O2 version from the OP one. It'll work forever if you hang on to the image file it downloads.
That's great, thanks, I'll give that a go for now ;-)

Cheers
J^n
jkn

Post by jkn »

jkn wrote:
That's great, thanks, I'll give that a go for now ;-)
Actually, I'm having second thoughts ... if i can ensure my 'Joggler #1' doesn't get updated, then I might use this as an opportunity to try Android on my newly-updated Joggler#2.

Can someone give me an idea what the current position is re. overheating and throttling when running Android on a joggler? I see there is a command-line parameter to allow the CPU to get up to eg. 80. I originally planned to do a heatsink mod, but won't be able to get around to this for a while .. is this still necessary/a good idea? i'm wondering if recent improvements to Android have cut the consumption down sufficiently...

Thanks
J^n
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jkn wrote:Can someone give me an idea what the current position is re. overheating and throttling when running Android on a joggler?
I think you'd be better off asking in one of the Android threads, so the right people get to see it. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
burgmeister

Post by burgmeister »

The updates don't seem to have got to me yet, which may or may not be a good thing! However, I noticed that the clock no longer receives updates from t'internet. Is this a seperate issue or part of the update fiasco?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Android 2.2 has no temperature issues and does not require throttling.
Nicjwin

Post by Nicjwin »

Mine has not updated yet . Clock seems to be working, just a message from O2.
burgmeister

Post by burgmeister »

Nicjwin wrote:Mine has not updated yet . Clock seems to be working, just a message from O2.
OK thanks. Probably a different issue then.
After reading the threads on here about the update it doesn't look like a great improvement. Shame its as complicated as it is to get Android to be the boot OS, that would be nice, but although the instructions are there they make no sense to me whatsoever! Guess that's what you get for being a Luddite. :oops:
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Have you tried this method of installing Android http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=318 ? It could hardly be any easier!
jkn

Post by jkn »

roobarb! wrote:
jkn wrote:Can someone give me an idea what the current position is re. overheating and throttling when running Android on a joggler?
I think you'd be better off asking in one of the Android threads, so the right people get to see it. :)
Sure - I wasn't planning to go any more off-topic ;-o

Cheers
Jon N
Cheltenhamboy

Post by Cheltenhamboy »

No update in Cheltenham yet - don't want it either i like my Joggler just the way it is at the mo!